ISN News Flash

23 replies to this topic

#21 Pvt Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

View PostGrimJim, on 09 April 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

OR... Just load a ton of slugs and a ton of shot & you now have a equivalent direct-fire PPC (without the heat) & a crit-seeking LRM10 (for the cost of 1 ton).

I thought of that aspect. Since the shots are not nearly as random as in TT, I would stick to the slugs to try to keep hitting the same area to punch through it. Destroying the IS of a location might be more important than just getting crits. The purpose of getting crits is to spare as much as you can to get salvage in the TT world, but not in MWO. So if I want to take a mech down ASAP, head shots or rear torso shots in the same area (specially if they have XL engines) sounds like to route to go. That or if you can convince your lance to fire on the Front Torso of an Assault/Heavy Mech.

The only way I might change my mind is if I would have a 1/2 ton of buck-shot ammo and I face a guy who does a /really/ good job of protecting any wholes I do create. Of course, this also depends on my piloting and gunnery skills, since I have no idea how easy/hard it will be to target a single location and concentrate fire on it.

#22 Soviet Alex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 626 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:36 AM

I like the Centurion-9D, despite the weaknesses mentioned above. But it's a team player. On the tabletop, you pound on a target with the Centurion's lancemates first to strip the armour away. Then you fire the LRM-10 & LB-10X shotgun to exploit the damage caused. We don't have a clue how LBX "buckshot" will work in MW-O, or even if it will be available. The Battletech game mechanics do not seem applicable to a 1st person shooter. I can't remember MW4 & I've never played MWLL, but in MW3 the LBX was just a lighter, smaller autocannon. There was no fancy ammo available; it just fired a stream of slugs like a normal AC.

Also, since the Devs have said that we won't be starting with advanced tech, this puppy is something we'll either have to pay real £ for, or something we'll have to grind Loyalty Points to unlock. But it's interesting to see that advanced tech variants are being prepped for launch. If we assume that the Centurion has 3 variants to master, we could be looking at the standard -9A (confirmed), the high-tech -9D (you're looking at it), & the energy-weapon -9AH (different flavour hardpoint in the arm). Sweet! :huh:

#23 GrimJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationPottery Barn, $120 richer than my fellow Founders

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

I know in most games I played I would consistently drop my opponent two or three rounds quicker via "critical death" than by coring.

Clan 'Mech's Ultra AC20s and LB-X 20s weigh the same so I'd switch between configs every other match. And each time, the sandblaster would find me that ammo crit, XL engine crit, or (the best) was wiping out several Double Heat sinks on a poor Nova. With 12 ER Medium Lasers, he could either fire only a few and try to wear me down while evading, fire a bunch and hope he cored me before he shut down, or a third option a typical MWO player might have: He fired ALL his lasers as an Alpha and subsequently the heat load blew him back to the home worlds.

Death by LB-X. I do find it more "interesting." And accuracy with direct fire weapons, like you said, might be debatable at launch.

Edited by GrimJim, 10 April 2012 - 01:28 PM.

#24 HighlandWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

The Centurion is going to be a favourite and a common site on the battlefield i think, i'll certainly check it out

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users