ukrainians & canadians do they still exist?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Duke Hector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 302 posts
  • LocationNistus

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

hi all
now i don't know if this is the right forums but i am sure someone would know. i read way back in the day in one of the books (i can't remember which book though) that Canadians colonized a few worlds somewhere, but i could never find that information again.
so my question is do Canadians live somewhere on a world or two somewhere in the inner sphere?
same thing with the Ukrainians? did they find a home somewhere in the inner sphere somewhere?

#2 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

They didn't see any reason to leave so they've been quietly living on Tera for centuries supplying Comstar with all the maple syrup and beaver pelts they need.

#3 Fabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

I'm sure if Canada colonized some world then there would be a few people whos ancestors where Canadian but after a few generation and centuries they most likely stop thinking them selves as Canadian and more in terms of the world they are now living on. Same with Ukrainaians or any other nationality.

#4 Bren

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

For Canadians, I believe the general thinking is that they were part of the makeup of the Terran Hegemony along with the colonists from the United States. So, in this day and age, long since nuked into oblivion or gobbled up by the other houses after the Star League left.

For colonists from Ukraine, I would assume they joined the Russian colonists in the Capellan Confederation, since the Soviet Union was still around when BattleTech had most of its core history filled out.

#5 Archtus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

Just look for the plaid wearing, maple syrup drinking, hatchet wielding, bearded people with a pet beaver riding along on their shoulders.

Dumpshockers have CanRay to thank for this permanent mental image I hold of all Canadians.

Edited by Archtus, 07 April 2012 - 10:24 AM.

#6 Felbombling

• 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

Ok, this is going back many, many years, but I think I remember one of the Gray Death Legion novels mentioning Canadian and Scandinavian colonists moving to Trondheim and other surrounding worlds. That would put some of them, at least, in the FRR. I would guess that Canadians, for example, would be all over the Inner Sphere in one way or another. This would last until, as has already been stated, new allegiances and understanding of nationality kicked in. Canadians and/or Ukrainians… or any nationality, for that matter, are hard to really pin down. While House Kurita has many trappings and traditions from Japan, that does not mean that all the citizens are Japanese in origin, if you get my meaning.

*Edit... I screwed the planet up... it was Trondheim, not Trellwan. Gettin' old...

Edited by StaggerCheck, 07 April 2012 - 07:29 PM.

#7 Karel Spaten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHallam

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

Sadly, the Battletech universe is one of broad ethnic and cultural stereotypes. If your culture doesn't fit one, it has disappeared by the 31st century. This, ladies and gentlemen, is why the Inner Sphere has around 20 billion (not an exaggeration) Scotsmen while "Englishness" is relegated to House Davion's pronunciation of "Lieutenant".

#8 Duke Hector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 302 posts
  • LocationNistus

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

ya i know exactly what you guys mean, thats why i had such a big interest in the northwind highlanders and the FRR just because of their ancestory, and how you can still see that.

all i can remember was it was from an orginal tech readout that i read way back in 2001, and it only had mentioned the canadians in something called "other factions" and that is all i remember and it didn't mention ukraine at all

#9 Bren

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 07 April 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

While House Kurita has many trappings and traditions from Japan, that does not mean that all the citizens are Japanese in origin, if you get my meaning.

Yep, good example. Same goes for almost every corner of the Inner Sphere. For the most part the citizens of the Inner Sphere don't know or couldn't care less about was happening on Terra over a thousand years ago.

#10 Petroff Northrup

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

House Cameron was supposed to be 'culturally' Canadian so i would say look to the most coreward worlds for them, as for Ukrainians i have no clue.

#11 Bren

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

Well, McKenna was Canadian, but other than that it sure seems like the Camerons were Scottish.

#12 Duke Hector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 302 posts
  • LocationNistus

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

View PostPetroff Northrup, on 07 April 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

House Cameron was supposed to be 'culturally' Canadian so i would say look to the most coreward worlds for them, as for Ukrainians i have no clue.
house Cameron? i've never heard of them before and like bren said i think Cameron was a Scottish name.and where is the planet Trellwan located on the map? (wishing there was an interactive mechwarrior map) ;)

#13 Felbombling

• 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

View PostDan the Ice Man, on 07 April 2012 - 07:23 PM, said:

house Cameron? i've never heard of them before and like bren said i think Cameron was a Scottish name.and where is the planet Trellwan located on the map? (wishing there was an interactive mechwarrior map) ;)

My bad... I took a look. It was Trondheim, not Trellwan. Off Kurita space near the Periphery, within FRR space.

Edit: added within FRR space for clarity.

Edited by StaggerCheck, 07 April 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#14 Bren

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

View PostDan the Ice Man, on 07 April 2012 - 09:42 AM, said:

so my question is do Canadians live somewhere on a world or two somewhere in the inner sphere?

As far as individual planets go, it looks like Staffel and Glengarry saw some Canadians during colonization.

#15 Duke Hector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 302 posts
  • LocationNistus

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

View PostBren, on 07 April 2012 - 08:08 PM, said:

As far as individual planets go, it looks like Staffel and Glengarry saw some Canadians during colonization.

glengarry had some cool history couldn't find staffel though

#16 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

I'm pretty sure that I came across a world that was originally colonized in part by canadians in the Handbook House Steiner, but I can't remember which world, for the life of me.

Likewise, for every world that has been fluffed, there are at least five that have little more than a blurb to it's history. Heck, some worlds even pop in and out of existence on the map.

For example, there's a world that you can find in the Reunification War book on the outskirts of the Magistracy of Canopus that crops up for a short period of time once the place is conquered by the Star League, but promptly disappears, never to be seen again, called "Helvetica".

Personally, I picture it as being a world completely populated by hipsters, who joined the Magistracy of Canopus for a short period of time because they threw good parties, but broke back off and disappeared into obscurity again when the Magistracy started becoming too mainstream.

#17 Bren

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:16 AM

*Saffel

#18 Tadakuma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:35 AM

By and large ethnicity in the Battletech universe has little to do with race, Kuritans have a culture based on an idealised fuedal Japan but they are not Japanese, If you look at the race that make up the DC they include Swedes, Arabs, there us explicit mention of black people in some of the novels. By large these ethnic cultures are subsumed into the larger identity of the larger state and they adopt a lot of the cultural values and altitude of the Draconis Combine (hence Swedish, and Black Samurai are not out of place)

What you find is that those cultures that tend to endure in the battletech are those with strong nationalistic and isolationist tendencies, the Scotish culture survives in the Isle of Skye because it has a strong separatist movement that is seeking independence from the Lyran Commonwealth.

Likewise the Northwind Highlanders maintained their Scottish culture because they spend Centuries serving in the CC where they're culture and Mercenary status left them as outsiders a helped reinforce their identity.

I suspect that cultures like the Canadians (I won't comment on the Ukrainians because I don't know that many) or for that ma that Australian which don't have a strong nationalistic tendency would tend to homogenise and blend into the surround culture after a century or so.

In regards to cultures that you cold identify with, while I don't know if they were settled by Canadians, the Outworld Alliance has a lot of traits that I associate with Canada (Australia, New zealand and America too for that matter). They're fierce believers in equality, tolerance and self dependence.

There is a strong pacifistic and isolationist part of their culture that is a little at odds with the rest of the Battlech universe and if MW:O was set later I would consider them as a faction I would want to join.

#19 Felbombling

• 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

Hey, waitaminute... if you want to find Canadians, figure out who won the Stanley Cup from 2012-3048 and track some of them that way.

#20 THE 4thbreed

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 67 posts
  • LocationN.Y.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 09 April 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

Hey, waitaminute... if you want to find Canadians, figure out who won the Stanley Cup from 2012-3048 and track some of them that way.

Kinda hard to do that since A canadian didn't win in 2012 a U.S. team did. i mean really get your facts straight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users