9 replies to this topic

#1 Derring-Do

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

How does Mech XP work?

My understanding so far:

1) I have to own a Mech to unlock an efficiency. That makes sense, you use a mech you get better at using it.

2) I have to unlock all of the Basic efficiencies for a chassis to move to start unlocking the Elite efficiencies.

3) So at some point, I need to own three versions of the same chassis. I dont like it but I can live with it. More on this below.

4) Now my real question, do I need to currently own all 3 chassis to unlock Elite or Master XP? Assuming I have already unlocked the tier below in all 3 chassis?

5) Why cant we use General XP for the Elite and Master tiers so we dont have to "grind" XP in a chassis we dont want? Or, vice versa... Let us use General XP on the Basic tiers, and Mech XP only on the Elite and Master tiers.

If this has been discussed before, please point me that way so I can delete this and express my thoughts there. I tried searching and didnt find anything.

#2 Vastrix

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

Well firstly, after you unlock the basic elite stuff, surely you'd only want to unlock that on the chassis variant you're actually wanting to use.

secondly, I'm pretty sure you just need to have owned and unlocked the pilot skills at some point
dont need to own all 3 all at once.

#3 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

i do agree that getting the elite and master levels by getting 3 time same mech ( most of the time only weapons change ) is kind of owning three 1970 chevy novas: one regular, one SS and the other LT.. all are still novas

#4 Derring-Do

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

View PostVastrix, on 01 November 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

secondly, I'm pretty sure you just need to have owned and unlocked the pilot skills at some point
dont need to own all 3 all at once.

That is exactly my question. I certainly dont want to sell a mech, just to find out I need it later to unlock the Elites.

#5 Redneckpanther

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

View PostThontor, on 02 November 2012 - 08:26 AM, said:

You need to buy all basic efficiencies on 3 different variants to unlock the elite level efficiencies

You need to buy all elite efficiencies on 3 different variants of the same mech to unlock the master level

And you need to own mech to spend xp on it. So once you work your way to elite you must again own each mech to unlock the tree skills. Then again same with master so best way to do it is, if you have the money, to own all at once that you intend to unlock. Other wise buy one unlock it sell it and buy another 9 times each.

#6 EtherDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

As long as you have enough GXP you can always use it on any unlocked proficiency... So if you have Basic complete for three mechs, you can use GXP to get an Elite proficiency.

#7 qultar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

its a bit wonky the way it is now that you have to have 3 of the same mech to get master but once you unlock master you can sell off the other 2

gen exp is slow to get and is needed for mods its 25k gen exp to unlock the 3 that are in game and there are more to come

#8 Teirdome

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

Four garage spaces is tough. However, since unlocks don't vanish when you sell a mech, you don't have to keep it around after you unlock the tier you want. Let's look at getting one weight class to master using 4 mech bays:

1. Buy first variant.
2. Finish the first tier for the first mech and continue to farm C-Billls in it (welfare repairs if need be).
3. Buy second variant with C-Bills farmed.
4. Finish the first tier for the second mech and continue to farm C-Billls in it (welfare repairs if need be) with whichever variant you are more comfortable in.
5. Buy third variant.
6. Finish first tier for the third variant. Elite is now unlocked.
7. For each variant, fill the elite level.

This is the basic leveling cycle for a chassis. However, we're going for master. Let's start on chassis number 2:

1. Sell the 2 variants of chassis 1 you like least. That chassis is still master.
2. Repeat steps 1-7 above.

So now you have 2 chassis unlocked up to master. Unfortunately it's time to pick which one you like more. You only get to keep one of the two that you have unlocked, but those unlocks are permanent. Anytime you re-buy mechs you will have those unlocks immediately applied to them. But anyways, for the third chassis, you need 3 slots again (or you would have to sell/rebuy 1), so sell one of the two mechs you've spent dozens of hours in and get going.

Just as an FYI, during closed beta I verified that this functionality worked with the medium tier. I was able to sell and re-buy my CN9 and the unlocks persisted.

Edited by Teirdome, 02 November 2012 - 11:13 AM.

#9 Hardplace

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

Okay... I do not understand how or why people are confused by this. Yes you need to spend time grinding a Mech you might not plan on using if you want to reach master level with the Mech variant you plan on using. I for one have three Catapults. I plan to keep all three because they all have different weapon loadouts, all of them do different things. I see the value to all three of these mechs, however with my Cicada it is not the case. At best I only want two of the three variants I will have to use... Once I get to Master I am going to sell the third one I will no longer have a value for...

Yes this means your either going to have to buy mech bays or spend CBills and Xp on things you dont plan on using down the road... You really cant figure out why though? The people making this game need ways for us to spend our money and CBills, games need grinds to create progression... Remember the first time you did a WC run in WoW? Were you planning on using those gloves for the rest of the game? Getting gear that is only useful for a few minutes is part of online games, you are playing the game even if it is a grind, learn to enjoy each fight for the fight, just like you used to in other games. Cry babies need to cry less and grind more, or pay someone else to do it for you, in this case the devs, just buy Mech Cash.

#10 Derring-Do

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

View PostHardplace, on 02 November 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

Okay...

Whoa, no need to patronize me or anyone else. We all appreciate that you are better than us.

I was asking about the functionality of the XP system. Then offering my thoughts on the system as I understand it.

All of my concerns have been addressed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users