• Legendary Founder
  • 154 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

HBK 4P
Endo internals

6 Smalls in the hunch
1 medium per arm and in the head.
The rest are heat sinks.
I managed to fit 18 before hitting the weight cap, not counting the 10 in the engine.

You could also run 7 mediums, replacing the 6 smalls with 4 mediums however you will need to sacrifice armor or heat sinks.

Heat efficiency using either is 1.22 with 28 total heat sinks.

#42 Cstriker

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:08 AM

View PostCstriker, on 03 November 2012 - 08:03 PM, said:

So, trying to up the armor in the rear of my HB, and I can't!!! What the heck! Any know if I am able to? It just still set to 8 in the rear with 48 max and 0 available. Is it even possible to up the armor?

View PostAware, on 03 November 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

Not without dropping some from the front.

I know thats how its supposed to work, but during armor redistribution I take armor from legs and I can't move it to the torso. Oe does it specifically have to the be the torso?

#43 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

View PostCstriker, on 04 November 2012 - 07:08 AM, said:

I know thats how its supposed to work, but during armor redistribution I take armor from legs and I can't move it to the torso. Oe does it specifically have to the be the torso?

It's a little confusing at first. The maximum armor listed for right torso and rear right torso are actually the exact same total counted between the two. So for example you could have 40/48 right torso and 8/48 rear right torso, you will not be able to add armor to either of these under any circumstances without taking armor off the other one first since they total 48/48

Happy mech designing!

#44 Aware

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 146 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

View PostCstriker, on 04 November 2012 - 07:08 AM, said:

Yes. It has to be specifically from the front. The max number by the totals for each section is the total armor both the rear and front can hold together.

#45 Wesrin

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

Greetings Pilots,

Just to 'hunchback' on this current topic (get it?), the 4SP is a fine variant. It is an excellent choice for a new Mechwarrior looking for a balanced, flexible platform that has good damage, speed, and defense.

That being said, I see a great deal of people advocating the use of, MPL's, XL Engines, and DHS. I can't say I agree with these as good ideas given the current state of the game.

MPL's are too heavy for the benefits/drawbacks they give. I much prefer having a longer engagement range and better heat managment with Medium Lasers. Remember, the damage difference between ML and MPL is 1, and the beam duration is only .25 seconds quicker for the MPL. You may be able to offload damage just slightly faster, but your engagement range is severely reduced (540m to 360m maximum range).

Unless you are trying to fill a more 'scoutish' type role, XL engines offer little benefit to the 4SP. Getting cored because you lost a launcher is unacceptable and with upgrades such as Endo Steel frames and some discipline on the pilot's behalf, its pretty easy to get an upgraded standard engine and still have all the ammo, heatsinks, and firepower you need. Yes, a faster mech is harder to hit with direct weapons, but 81 KPH won't outrun LRM focus-fire which can be an issue as you move in to engage their frontliners, or tear it up with an enemy scout.

Until they fix the DHS engine bug, I don't even count it as an option. Once they do fix it, I'll most certainly be using it to squeeze a better standard into my current build.

Having played the 4SP extensively during closed beta, this is a fit I have found to be exceptionally good for my playstyle. There's plenty of heat dissipation and engagement range flexibility to make this mech a danger at both medium and close range.

HBK-4SP

Endo-Steel Structure
Std. Engine 200
20 HS (10 Standard)

Armor: 320/338
Heat Efficiency: 1.1

4x Medium Lasers
1x Small Laser
2x SRM 6's
1x AMS

2 Tons SRM Ammo
1 Ton AMS Ammo

It has served me very well, especially when I wolfpack with a few friends of mine and they are in their mediums/lights.

Edited by Wesrin, 04 November 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#46 Aware

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 146 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostWesrin, on 04 November 2012 - 10:28 AM, said:

Having played the 4SP extensively during closed beta, this is a fit I have found to be exceptionally good for my playstyle. There's plenty of heat dissipation and engagement range flexibility to make this mech a danger at both medium and close range.

HBK-4SP

Endo-Steel Structure
Std. Engine 200
20 HS (10 Standard)

4x Medium Lasers
1x Small Laser
2x SRM 6's
1x AMS

2 Tons SRM Ammo
1 Ton AMS Ammo

It has served me very well, especially when I wolfpack with a few friends of mine and they are in their mediums/lights.

I am going to have to disagree with you on the HS vs DHS.

With your exact same build with DHS. I can fit a STD 255 and get a heat efficiency of 1.43

Even if the engine HS are only counting as singles I still get more dissipation per second than you.

#47 Antony Weiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationEast Coast U.S.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

View PostWesrin, on 04 November 2012 - 10:28 AM, said:

. . .

Until they fix the DHS engine bug, I don't even count it as an option. Once they do fix it, I'll most certainly be using it to squeeze a better standard into my current build.

. . .

HBK-4SP

Endo-Steel Structure
Std. Engine 200
20 HS (10 Standard)

4x Medium Lasers
1x Small Laser
2x SRM 6's
1x AMS

2 Tons SRM Ammo
1 Ton AMS Ammo

With your exact same build with DHS (currently), I can fit 4x MPL, 1x ML, 2x SRM6(3tons), 1x AMS (1ton), CASEs and have HE of 1.18

Edited by Antony Weiner, 04 November 2012 - 05:14 PM.

#48 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

View PostCstriker, on 01 November 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

Running that 4SP, do you link the medium lasers into one group firing 4 simultaneously? Also, Alpha striking with the SP souns like it would hurt more then the H or J.

I personally have left arm+head lasers in group 1, left click, and right arm lasers right click, so I can fire around corners. Another config is arm-points group 1, torso group 2.

#49 Antony Weiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationEast Coast U.S.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

View PostCstriker, on 01 November 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

Running that 4SP, do you link the medium lasers into one group firing 4 simultaneously? Also, Alpha striking with the SP souns like it would hurt more then the H or J.

Hey, Cstriker. The way I use my groups is

left arm lasers are group 1|LMB
right arm lasers are group 2|RMB
2 SRMs are group 3|MB4 on the side of mouse
head-mounted ML is group 4|3# on the keyboard
Alpha is Space (very convenient; JJ are LShift)

Pressing 3 with my left hand to fire is not hard at all, since I use WASD anyway. I like this setup because I can control the head laser separately. Sometimes, when I have to shoot over friendly mechs, I want to fire head ML solo, which would be impossible if you assign it to the armgroup. Head's point of aim is also different from the arm, so it makes sense to me.

#50 Cstriker

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

engine question next. i bought the std 220 upping speed to 71kph. I did this so I could swap in and out large lasers or mediums. Should I just stick with mediums and up the engine to the 255?

What setups and engines do you guys use?

Edited by Cstriker, 05 November 2012 - 08:35 AM.

#51 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

I run mine with a standard 260, double heatsinks, endo steel.

kept the medium lasers in the arms
medium pulse in the head
2 streaks, 1 ton ammo.

pretty fast for a hunchback, works good agianst fast mechs since I'm reasonable at lagshooting and the 260 engine makes the aiming and twisting very fast.

4 medium lasers, a pulse laser and 2 streaks is quite a punch to any mech, and because of the speed you can do hit and run attacks and get behind an atlas. With a smaller engine an without endo steel you can be a bit more heat efficient and carry an ams, but you'll be slower.

#52 Cstriker

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 05 November 2012 - 08:56 AM, said:

I run mine with a standard 260, double heatsinks, endo steel.

kept the medium lasers in the arms
medium pulse in the head
2 streaks, 1 ton ammo.

pretty fast for a hunchback, works good agianst fast mechs since I'm reasonable at lagshooting and the 260 engine makes the aiming and twisting very fast.

4 medium lasers, a pulse laser and 2 streaks is quite a punch to any mech, and because of the speed you can do hit and run attacks and get behind an atlas. With a smaller engine an without endo steel you can be a bit more heat efficient and carry an ams, but you'll be slower.

Perhaps I'll try this. I was tempted to keep using large lasers for the extra range light snipping support, but if I would be more useful with 4x Mlas, 1x Mplas, and 2x streaks or SRM6s I'll rock the bigger engine. If I go SRM6s though I have to drop to the 245 or 250...can't remember which

Just depends on whats better, 1 long las 2 mediums 2 srm6s, or 4 mediums, 1 mplas, 2 streaks/srm6. Ive had success with both it seems. I'm the kind of guy though that will end up buying multiple engines. I did like the 260...man was it fast, but it felt like the Streaks did like NO damage, even against a lowly jenner, though I did keep my lasers trained on him like he wasn't circle strafing me.

Edited by Cstriker, 05 November 2012 - 01:26 PM.

#53 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

The 260 is pretty heavy, I tried it because I had one in a catapult.

running a 250 gets you 1 ton and you still retain the engine heatsink (will count toward double heatsinks, saves some crit space compared to a 245)

#54 Matist

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationFort Pierce, FL

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

Interesting thread. My current 4SP build is standard 260 engine, endo, DHS, 4 medium lasers, TAG in head, 2 streak SRM, AMS with 1 ton of ammo for AMS/SRM in CT. Max armor except for a couple points shaved off the legs and I believe 7 added heat sinks. I have a 1.62 HE with very nice sustained damage and the normal engine loadout means I'm pretty tanky. It's not uncommon for me to be still around with no arms or RT/LT and just pew pewing the TAG.

Will have to play with a XL sometime and maybe SRM 6, but I really like the streak for squirrels. I also think as a brawler a main job is to be around for as long as possible to tie up the enemy for your LRM/snipers, so I'm not sure if XL would hurt that role.

I do miss the MPL. But I'm not sure if they're worth the extra heat, tonnage and reduced range.

#55 Cstriker

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Well, new dilemma. The new patch looks like it punked DHS. I went from 1.4 efficiency to 1.2 due to the patch change....what the hell. And all I was rocking was 4x Mlas, 1x Slas, 2x SRM6, 250 Engine, and endo Steel frame with the DHS. Anyone experiancing problems with this?

Also, Artemis looks like a good choice for the HBK-4SP!

#56 Bennep

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:01 AM

Hey guys, Mech newbie here that could use some advice on building a bruiser-like HBK-4G variant. Getting my assets handed to me in most matches (but whether it is through pugging vs premades I'm not sure) - even though I try to keep up with the biggest group of friendly mechs. Seems LRMs can easily tear me to shreds. Currently still running the standard 4G, seeing as I have no idea what a good build contains.

I was wondering if I can make it viable keeping the AC20 as a main weapon, stripping some speed and building some armour. Maybe even take out the small laser, putting in Endo Steel and putting in some med pulse lasers and AMS to top it off.
Got about 1 mill c-bills to spend atm though, still need to build up some moniez and xp.

Edit: also: something that has been bothering me for some reason: How do you pronounce Cicada? Kikada/Sisada/Kisada/Sikada?

Edited by Bennep, 07 November 2012 - 06:28 AM.

#57 Aware

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 146 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostCstriker, on 06 November 2012 - 07:12 PM, said:

Well, new dilemma. The new patch looks like it punked DHS. I went from 1.4 efficiency to 1.2 due to the patch change....what the hell. And all I was rocking was 4x Mlas, 1x Slas, 2x SRM6, 250 Engine, and endo Steel frame with the DHS. Anyone experiancing problems with this?

Also, Artemis looks like a good choice for the HBK-4SP!

The HE was bugged before the last patch (Was counting DHS as 2.0 even though that wasn't correct). I was playing around last night and while my HE in the mechbay was lower I was more heat efficient in game compared to pre-patch.

#58 Cstriker

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

View PostAware, on 07 November 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

The HE was bugged before the last patch (Was counting DHS as 2.0 even though that wasn't correct). I was playing around last night and while my HE in the mechbay was lower I was more heat efficient in game compared to pre-patch.

Oh, well I guess there is nothing to really worry about!

On that note, how about that Artemis? Any 4SP pilots benefiting from that upgrade?

#59 ROJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationDubai

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

4SP is an incredible and very flexible variant..
I am running on a 260 engine (so the speed is 80+ kph), 4x ML, 2x SRM6+Artemis, Double Heatsink, Endosteel.
FirePower = 43
Heat Eff = 1.2
Armour = 304

With this variant, I can confidently go head to head with stronger, heavier mechs and manage to catch up on light harassers.

I dont think there is any mech that is well rounded like the HBK-4SP.

The only reason I wish to change this mech, is because I got bored of using it all the time.. Perhaps I should get a catapult or any LRM boat, take a back seat, relax and launch LRMs from a distance, take a break off brawling.

Edited by ROJ, 16 May 2013 - 09:09 AM.

#60 Hayashi

Snowflake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

Moving to Medium subforums.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users