Bought new Cats...now what?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Cstriker

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:41 AM

I drop the dough and got both the K2 and the C1 and I have no idea where to go from here to get them upgraded and dangerous.

So far, my HBK-4SP is fairing better then these two!

That being sad, what are some good builds or links to build for the K2 and C1?

#2 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:50 AM

There are 10-15 builds for the Catapult here (7 builds for the K2 and 2 for the C1)

http://www.mechspecs...php?17-Catapult

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

C1 ideas:

The Classic: 4x medium lasers, 2x LRM15 (or 2x LRM10)
Moar Lazors: 2x medium lasers, 2x large lasers or PPC, 2x LRM5(or 2x SSRM2)

K2 ideas:
The Inouye: 4x medium pulse lasers, 2x machine guns
Run hot: 2x medium lasers, 2x large lasers
Where are my Double Heat Sinks?: 4x large laser

#4 Culler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 371 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:00 AM

The most popular build for the K1 is as a gauss cat with 2x gauss rifle. I like mine with a 200xl engine, AMS, 2 medium lasers, 10 heat sinks (the minimum), endo-steel, and plenty of armor (double heat sinks will be good for it too once they are patched to work properly.) You can also put 2x AC/2s and it will work well. Alternatively you can load a lighter ballistics weapon and not need the XL engine but also not deal as much damage. Or you can skip ballistics entirely and go for 2x large laser (arms) and 2x medium pulse laser (torso) and it will work OK. Gauss cat is pretty much king though. Stay away from PPCs, they are garbage.

For a C1 I like the same XL200 engine with 4x medium lasers and 2x LRM20, 1 jump jet, AMS, double heat sinks, and plenty of ammo. You can also run 2x SRMs and 4 medium pulse lasers if you want to brawl and you can get by with the standard engine. Heat efficiency will depend on how big your SRMs are.

#5 MWLL Rad Hanzo

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:12 AM

View PostCstriker, on 02 November 2012 - 03:41 AM, said:

I drop the dough and got both the K2 and the C1 and I have no idea where to go from here to get them upgraded and dangerous.

So far, my HBK-4SP is fairing better then these two!

That being sad, what are some good builds or links to build for the K2 and C1?

Take your Hunchie out for some more spins to grab a little heap of CBills to upgrade your Kitties (Catapults) without too many restraints ^^

#6 Cstriker

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:25 AM

PPCs are crap huh? Since I don't have the Gauss cannons yet I guess I can rock Large Lasers...are they that viable though rocking larges?

#7 Skull Leader2

• PipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:08 AM

K2 offers a lot of options. My favorite loadouts before the Open Beta wipe included dropping the PPCs for ER LG Lasers or just Lg Laser. This opened you up to correction for your shots instead of one and done with the PPC. It also negates the minimum range of PPC. Drop the machine guns and medium laser. In the torso place 1 Gauss. This give you long range punch with low heat. A different option includes putting an AC/5 in each torso side for some quick and constant low heat punch. Only having 1 gauss allows you to put a bigger XL engine like 245-260. This give you nearly the same speed as stock so you can still move around the map. Round out tonnage with armor and heat sinks. Double heatsinks are great. Once I had those I could run my ER or regular larger laser almost constantly.

#8 Cstriker

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:02 AM

View PostSkull Leader2, on 02 November 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

K2 offers a lot of options. My favorite loadouts before the Open Beta wipe included dropping the PPCs for ER LG Lasers or just Lg Laser. This opened you up to correction for your shots instead of one and done with the PPC. It also negates the minimum range of PPC. Drop the machine guns and medium laser. In the torso place 1 Gauss. This give you long range punch with low heat. A different option includes putting an AC/5 in each torso side for some quick and constant low heat punch. Only having 1 gauss allows you to put a bigger XL engine like 245-260. This give you nearly the same speed as stock so you can still move around the map. Round out tonnage with armor and heat sinks. Double heatsinks are great. Once I had those I could run my ER or regular larger laser almost constantly.

This sounds pretty solid. I think I'll try what you said, rocking ER large lasers, 1x Guass or trying it with Twin AC/5s. That or try the guasscat...tempted to try that too. May drop cash on that extended zoom too, seems like it would be good for a K2.

Three questions:

This go around for Mechwarrior, are PPCs as crappy as everyone is saying they are?

What size XL engine do you need minimum to rock your build OR the guasscat?

Last, for your specific build, would you recommended 1x Guass or 2x AC/5s with the ER Large Lasers.

Thanks!

#9 Skull Leader2

• PipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

Cstriker,

1. PPCs aren't crappy per se...they just aren't what they should be. I don't generally recommend them because of the tremendous heat and fire and forget effect. Those damn squirrelly lights are hard to hit with a PPC but you can get them a bit more with Lasers.

2. For my build you are looing at a maximum rather than minimum. No more than an XL 260 otherwise you really start to compromise armor/ammo/heatsinks.

3. Either really. AC/5 will build up more heat but is nice way to ruin a mechpilots aim. Gauss is nice and can provide psychological deterrent to other mech pilots. Getting hit with a Gauss should make charging mechs think twice. As a mod, you can use plain LG Lasers instead of ER. Lose the range but lots less heat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users