Energy weapons...

3 replies to this topic

#1 -Wolvine-

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

I loved the mechwarrior and mechcommander series. One thing i hated was they kind of forced it upon you to use energy weapons...

Personally i hate energy weapon (the ideal of unlimited ammo with a cooldown just seems cheap and a cowards weapon) But they always made the balistic and missles weigh so much it it forced you to add them to fill spots.

Myself i prefer being required to be a good shot and if i run out of ammo its my fault for being sloppy and i deserve my death. Must more fun with the risk reward, over the ill just keep spamming my unlimited energy weapon till i get lucky.

I hope they balance this one out so will be more AC/missle friendly, they should outdamage any unlimited ammo weapon in my mind. I love the feelings of looking down and see'ing ammo low i have to be careful... the oh let me hide behind this building for 5 secs while i wait on heat lvls pop out and endless with unlimited ammo isnt for me. Perhaps if they added a fire cout to each energy weapon before it would need repaired to fire again would make them more appealing to me... Hell i went threw the entire mech4 merc campain without using 1 energy weapon and it was a pain but i loved it, forcing me to be a better shot instead of a energy spammer.

Well i put in my 2 cents, i will probably always hate energy weapons, but if they had a limited number of fires before needing repairs might make it better... even an M249 need a barrel change every 300 around fired to allow for cooling so you dont eat up the barrels... and if energy weapon generate so much more hate and balistics wouldn they melt out thier our barrels before a mech's armor?

Another thing is that heated objects like lazes and plamsa will cause blooming when hitting the cooler atmosphere and disperse and defocus the farther the beam travals threw the air. Then you have beam Beam absorption.. causing the lazer or particle beam to be absorbed or scattered by rain, fog, dust, snow, smoke, etc.. Things a bullet would easily pass threw, increasing the blooming effect making the dissipation of energy in the atmosphere even worse. Its why the army is having so many problems developing energy weapons over our current ballistic weapons... Of course im speaking from a military standpoint and not game lore. I am sure the fan boys will flame me for using real life physics, instead of game lore which is just made up from scratch. But give me an M249 any day in combat over a energy rifle with a 8 second per fire rate cause im waiting on heat dispearsion. Ok you may all new curse away at my physics and military standpoint.

Wolverien

#2 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

just like trading spears for bows and bows for rifles, energy weapons (which im not keen on either) are the next technological leap in military weapon evolution. as i understand things, the devs fixed energy weapons thru the use of DOT and thru the mechlab. hopefully this will help keep AC's and missiles in play long into the future of MWO.

Edited by Geist Null, 09 April 2012 - 10:53 AM.

#3 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Your point is valid, but I just can't take anyone seriously who spells laser with a Z.

#4 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

Everyone likes certain weapons, Wolvie. Hey, your wear and tear on energy weapons is an interesting idea, but I doubt it will fly. There will be people who will pack as many energy weapons onto their Mechs as possible, but you'll see mixed weapon packages on Mechs, as well. Trust the dev team with the way they're working the game. Every indication shows they have thought much of this through, and they'll take a balanced board game and work it into a fun sim. People who played the table top game know that it was fairly balanced, but everything worked together to balance it... weapon damage output/ammunition levels vs. weapon size, tonnage and range vs. heat generation vs. armour values/internal components. As a long-time TT player, many games would end with ammo bins either depleted or on the verge of depletion... had they not already gone up in a thunderous explosion. :huh: Two even sides with equal amounts of player skill and luck, usually meant a game coming down to the last few die rolls.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users