Will there be training allowed in MWO?

214 replies to this topic

Poll: Training in MWO (807 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be training allowed within the frame work of the game?

1. Voted Yes, and it should be allowed free (no C-bill cost) and with no damage occuring to mechs when in this mode and using just what they have acheived in the skill tree etc (511 votes [63.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.32%

2. Yes, but it should cost C-bills, but with no damage occuring to mechs while in this mode and using just what they have acheived in the skill tree etc. (101 votes [12.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.52%

3. Yes, not sure how it should happen but it should happen. (168 votes [20.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.82%

4. No (27 votes [3.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#201 WVAnonymous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

View PostPrimarc, on 25 July 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

I think that there should not only be lance training, but take the off-map PvP one step further to tie in other aspects of the game. I would love to see 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 proving grounds, grudge matches and ranked honour battles to decide leadership and settle disputes. Perhaps those that reach a certain "rank" could have a special emblem on their mech (gold skull or whatever) to let the opposition know they are in trouble.

A lot could be done with very simple arena style matches that would take little programming to implement, but add a whole new dimension to the game.

I think the 1v1, 2v2, arena matches is an excellent idea. Maybe you don't need AI if you enable skill brackets and small "pickup" games. One of my concerns with this game was always needing to coordinate with a corps to play without getting whacked in 30 seconds.

#202 Scorpioneldar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:24 AM

View PostTigersRoar, on 12 April 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

I picked the third option because training is for beginners only. Once you know how to pilot a mech you will never go back into training. When you put a new module on your mech you go out and use it, not test it in a simulator.

maybe that is how you play but when i put on or take off wepons increase or decresse speed on my mech or use anything i never have before i take it to training (or instant action whatever mode the game has that has no lasting effects on you) and test it if it works off to battle if it fails or decreases combat performance within an acceptable margin for whatever i gained (even if just a cheaper to repair mech sometimes though that is rare) then im still good to go
falls outside of that margin then nope try another set up
not do what i thought it would nope (but maybe remember it for later if it was any good)
i forget to re apply the armor from when i was playing around with things WOAH GET BACK TO BASE AND FIX IT!!!(that has happened before)
i alwayse want to know what i am using when i am in battle i never rely on untested equipment
after all (and yess this is newbish to the max it's only an example) if i thought an atlas with all ac20's and max armor was going to be a fast long range killer i would really like to find out im an ***** before i hit the field
that way i have less chance of it being a terminal case of stupid

#203 100mile

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationAlegro: Ramora Province fighting Pirates. and the occasional Drac

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

View PostPaddon Fain, on 25 July 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

Disagree with the AI. PG has stated on several occasions that coding AI is expensive and time consuming and that the idea should be revisited only once they get the core game up and going. I think that any game with tactical customizations should let you at least shoot at still or simple moving dummies. And if the dummies would be nice enough to give back a performance report( DPS, AVERAGE speed, locking assist damage, target/intel gathering etc.); I don't think that would be very hard to adapt from the core game mode. Then again my code experience is auteur at best. Great topic bty. Lets keep this one going and make sure it gets in there. Never want to launch with no amo or with all the armor that you stripped off that arm, cuz you weren't using it in your last build. Probably gonna have to test out the whole cbill damage issue.

I see where you are going but not a fan of bots in any form...

#204 100mile

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

View PostPrimarc, on 25 July 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

I think that there should not only be lance training, but take the off-map PvP one step further to tie in other aspects of the game. I would love to see 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 proving grounds, grudge matches and ranked honour battles to decide leadership and settle disputes. Perhaps those that reach a certain "rank" could have a special emblem on their mech (gold skull or whatever) to let the opposition know they are in trouble.

A lot could be done with very simple arena style matches that would take little programming to implement, but add a whole new dimension to the game.

So basically a Solaris type setup...I could go for this as long as no XP pts were awarded or at very least a minimum amount were awarded...Also wouldn't want this to effect tech tree at all as this type of thing would tilt things in the assault mech and heavies favor as that would probably be what was used mot often for this and there really wouldn't be any wya for mediums and lights...especially lights to be used as scouts...cutting out there ability to build that aspect of the tech tree...
Although it does sound fun, i wouldn't want it to interfere with the warfare pillar when it comes out.....

#205 RedBeaveR

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

yes, should happen.
no, should not cost C-bills.
yes, there should be damage and repair cost.

#206 Aptum

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

I was thinking the simulator would be a good way of getting newbies (like myself) into the mindset of using tactics and adopting a less Rambo-esque game style, I mean I've played team based online games like ((many years ago)) Unreal Tournament and atm City of heroes, which isn't as frantic as Mechwarrior but the right balance of teams and the need for team work is needed too, but still a little game practice is never a bad thing is it? :P

#207 100mile

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

View PostRedBeaveR, on 31 July 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

yes, should happen.
no, should not cost C-bills.
yes, there should be damage and repair cost.

no damage or repair costs either..should be treated like a simulator experience..

#208 Mechafreak

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationPlanet Robinson, out on patrol.

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:44 PM

I agree with having a training sim, because if you are in a house loyal unit, merc corp or just have group that you regularly group with, it is invaluable to be able to figure out what roles everyone is best suited to and how to move across the battlefield so you don't end up all alone getting a prison shower scene enacted on you by a group of assault mech's.

#209 Vagabond Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationKansas City, USA

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:59 AM

Totally agree that a no-risk training feature needs to be implemented. Mechwarrior 4 did this really well - no reason why it can't be in this game too.

#210 100mile

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

Any more thoughts now that some experience has been had...

#211 FoxStar

Rookie

• The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 4 posts
  • LocationGone scouting.

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

I whole heartedly agree with having an option for this. Especially since a lot of people are joining or forming entire units to play the game with it would most certainly mean by extension having ways to practice in low or no pressure situations such as a training mode would be extremely important for them to learn how to work better as a team and develop strategies. In other words I'm 100% in on this idea.

#212 MrFritzz

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationClaremont, NH

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

I think it's a great idea, just need to find a balance, otherwise we can just use a simulator to skill up to max before actually having to do battle.

#213 100mile

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

View PostMrFritzz, on 11 August 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

I think it's a great idea, just need to find a balance, otherwise we can just use a simulator to skill up to max before actually having to do battle.

No skill points given for training...so no they can't...

#214 MrFritzz

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationClaremont, NH

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

Oh right, sorry 100 mile, and anyone else that had to read that, misunderstood the poll description. :) I retract my last and say yes, training would be of huge valuse to teams and individuals looking for a good config.

#215 Alexei Antonov

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

CH sort of had "training" against NPCs which was really, really nice to have to get the bugs out of setups.
The AC series, while being completely different, still had a "test" mode that was enormously helpful for tweaking and tuning the last bit out of a setup.

Deploying is essentially "free" right now, but once RR comes into play it's going to be a pain if the costs are bad enough.
If the RP guys need an excuse, it's plenty easy to chaulk it up to computer run sims.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users