Double Heat Sinks at 1.4? Seriously

83 replies to this topic

Poll: Double Heat Sinks (234 member(s) have cast votes)

How much heat should Double Heat Sinks dissipate?

1. 1.4 (35 votes [14.71%])

Percentage of vote: 14.71%

2. 2.0 (203 votes [85.29%])

Percentage of vote: 85.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 _Rorschach_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

I want a 1.6 or 1.7 option.

The 1.4 DHS are a slight improvement on most of my builds and an ok improvement on some. They aren't worth their money tbh and should be slightly improved. But I think 2.0 would be too much.

LRMs got buffed from 1.0 to 2.0, reduced to 1.7, will be 1.8 next patch. A similar process could be useful for the DHS.

#82 ijustwant2play

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:23 AM

devs,

give them what they want...DHS at 2.0. and balance the game by increasing cd on weapons (sarcasm). seriously, this is NOT TT game. you can't compare everything with the TT game. do you want to roll to-hit like the TT game or would you rather aim and shoot? which is more fun to do? i thought so.

also, point of fact, TT game doesnt have hardpoint restrictions last time i played it. usually pnp player like creating their own mech the way they want a mech to be. hell, all my mech creations have jump jets and this game doesnt let me have jump jets. only on those they choose. i would like to create a warhammer with jump jets just so i can say," you just got hammered!" when i do a death from above attack. i dont see that happening in this game. anways, back to the topic.

i like how i can overheat really quick since i have more weapons and not enough heatsinks to compensate. you took your chance with more weapons to take out your enemy with a risk you yourself will get shutdown. that just goes to show how dangerous you play life and death in the game. one shutdown in the wrong place can mean your death. (reminds me of some battletech stories excerpts where some characters would alpha strike and risk getting shutdown but instead were able to kill the mech before their mech shutdown.)

if one meaningful alpha strike in the right mech location can basically take out/disable a mech. who would then want to play a game where a mech can alpha strike every single time they are off weapon cd and take out a mech with each alpha strike? then each game would last 5 minutes or less. well 5 minutes game seems to be the problem right now with the crappy match making system atm. anyways, it would kinda make the game look unbalance.

to be honest, the game would be more fun if they take out double heatsinks. players will then have to think how much dps they want to dish out vs shutting down. 1:1 ratio i'd say. more dps more risk to shut down. double heatsinks is an unbalance mechanic in my book. the ratio will no longer be 1:1. no one will invest in double heatsinks if their internal heatsinks are doubled.

here's an idea for the devs, make double heatsinks internal, which is what they want because they need all the other space slots for armor upgrades, weapons, internal upgrades, etc., and make them pay with more occupied space slots. this will limit how much weapons they can have allocated. the triple slot double heatsinks, i dont think anyone care to have them...only the internal double heatsinks matters to them. simply because, as a player myself, i need slots for weapons, ammo, etc.

OR

get rid of the internal double heatsinks altogether and just have people invest in double heatsinks which cost 1ton and space slots for 2.0. this way they have to balance out space slot allocation as well.

but the word double heatsink does mean 2.0 per the TT game description and game mechanics. why not just change the name to improved heatsinks. this way no one can complain...lol.

i like a balance game that can last more than a few minutes.

#83 Deadoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:26 AM

Even if we don't use table top, we could go to the books, where they do double effectiveness double heat-sinks are meant to be double effective, if they were called double for their size they should take up 2 slots not 3.

Currently one of the best ppc carriers in the game is a awesome with shs if this makes sense please tell me how.

Edited by Deadoon, 19 November 2012 - 01:28 AM.

#84 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:04 AM

View Postijustwant2play, on 19 November 2012 - 01:23 AM, said:

devs,

give them what they want...DHS at 2.0. and balance the game by increasing cd on weapons (sarcasm). seriously, this is NOT TT game. you can't compare everything with the TT game. do you want to roll to-hit like the TT game or would you rather aim and shoot? which is more fun to do? i thought so.

Forget the table top and read this (or this)

The current weapons are not balanced. Autocannons, Gauss Rifles, SRMs and LRMs are more efficient if you consider ammo and heat sink weight requirements then the upper end lasers and the PPCs.

Long Range ballistics tend to be more efficient the longer the range, contrary to what yo uwould expect.
LRMs are vastly more efficient than SRMs and all other weapons.
Small and Medium Lasers are the only energy weapons with efficiency comparable to that of long range ACs.

Currently, Double Heat Sinks working at 0.2 Heat Dissipation and +2 Heat Capacity are necessary to bring these up to the same level of efficiency.

All trial mechs and stock configurations are vastly less heat effecient than typical customized mech builds, meaning they are by default subpar builds but are expected to fight customized mechs.

if one meaningful alpha strike in the right mech location can basically take out/disable a mech. who would then want to play a game where a mech can alpha strike every single time they are off weapon cd and take out a mech with each alpha strike? then each game would last 5 minutes or less. well 5 minutes game seems to be the problem right now with the crappy match making system atm. anyways, it would kinda make the game look unbalance.

Very few mechs have alpha strikes of this strength - you just can't equip enough weapons to do so. The Jenner that can core an Atlas from behind in 3 seconds is a myth. Your only hope is a Dual Gauss or AC/20 headshot - but the Dual Gauss headshot can be pulled off every 4 seconds for 60 seconds even if you had no heat sinks at all (with 5 heat sinks, it could already be pulled off until you run out of ammo. And you must have 10 heat sinks.).

If you're so worried about alpha strikes - lower the heat capacity. Then mechs cannot alpha strike that easily - but with a high dissipation, they can still maintain their rate of fire in the long run and deliver high DPS. But not as alpha strikes.

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 19 November 2012 - 02:13 AM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users