Wildcat

7 replies to this topic

#1 BLaaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:21 AM

After paper converting the Mektek Kanazuchi, Ursus and Deimos, I started work on another one of my wanna have favorites, the WildCat

WildCat Wiki

Thought I would post a small write up of how and how much work goes into building these paper mechs.

First up, after printing the model, it is time to score where the fold lines is going to be, then after scoring each part it is time to cut them out.
Posted Image

After scoring and cutting you end up with parts like these.

Posted Image

Then it is time to glue , glue and glue ......... basically you are building lots and lots of different shapes of boxes. Below are the parts for the toes. The WildCat has three parts making up one toe.

Posted Image

After building all the sub parts, it is time to start the assembly of all those small parts making up bigger parts that will form the feet or arms or legs etc. etc.

Below are the parts for the feet. 32 parts in total. I hate building the feet and toes. So repetitive.

Posted Image

Once you have all the parts for a specific body group, it is time to assemble / glue the parts together.

Feet and hips
Posted Image

Lower legs
Posted Image

Upper legs
Posted Image

Arms
Posted Image

Torso
Posted Image

Then finally you have all the body parts ready to come together to make up the final mech model.
Posted Image

After assembly of all the parts you are finally done with your mech model. The Wildcat was made out of 16 page of A4 paper, totaling ~144 parts. So yeah. Lots and lots of score and cut and glue ....... rinse and repeat. At the end a worth while effort. These models are as cheap as they come.

Back
Posted Image

Side
Posted Image

Front
Posted Image

Posted Image

I will be uploading the paper plans in due coarse, just need to tweak some of the unfold patterns.

So there you have it. Hope you guys like it, and hope to see more paper mechs soon.

NS : I normally make the model with joints so that it it can be set in different poses and for easy traveling, but I was too lazy when I made the Wildcat. So much to do, so little time.

#2 SilverWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

Wow, i hope somebody gave you permission to use scissors, Nicely done

#3 WM CyberWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 199 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:11 AM

VERY COOL, WildCat is also my Fav Mech!

Question, how is the Camo applied? Is it printed that way? Would love to try building one, look forward to the plans.

Thanks!

#4 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

Another great job BLaaR :D

Edited by Dirk Le Daring, 11 April 2012 - 05:14 PM.

#5 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

View PostWM_CyberWolf, on 11 April 2012 - 05:11 AM, said:

Question, how is the Camo applied? Is it printed that way? Would love to try building one, look forward to the plans.

Thanks!

When you print it, the colour scheme you chose (if there is a choice) will be printed as part of it :D

#6 BLaaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

View PostWM_CyberWolf, on 11 April 2012 - 05:11 AM, said:

Thanks!

I try to supply the TGA with each mech I release. Basically the TGA is the texture / skin of the mech which has an Alpha layer which can be used to make your own camo skins. Think of it as a Photoshop image that you have created with 2 layers. The bottom layer is the layer where you lay down you camo and then the top layer has the details such as grime, rockets etc etc. The top layer has some transparency that lets you see the bottom layer.

Hope it makes sense.

After you have created your new camo and saved the file is JPG or BMP since that is what Pepakura can read, you simply need to apply it in Pepakura before printing. It is easily done by going to the settings then texture settings and simply browsing for your custom skin and then applying it.

#7 BLaaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

Oky, I have finished updating the PDO file for the Wildcat. It can be downloaded from my MediaFire page.

Thanks once again to Insidious over at Mektek ^_^

#8 pursang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts
  • LocationSurrey BC, Canada

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:32 AM

Very nice!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users