Coconut Monkey Exploit

16 replies to this topic

#1 Mister Zeus

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

I'm no expert, but if the Coconut Monkey bobblehead isn't pay to win, then I don't know what is. The following are observations and I don't have any real hard numbers to back them up, I'm just reporting on my experience.

After installing the Coconut Monkey bobblehead, our team went on to a 30/1 victory ratio. The reasons for this are clearly linked to the outrageous bonuses that the Coconut Monkey bobblehead provides both the mech it is installed in, and the team that mech is a part of. Let me address these issues in no particular order.

The first thing our team leader noticed is that the Coconut Monkey's bobble animation seemed remarkably smooth. He remarked that his field of view seemed to be much deeper and clearer than before and he could notice mechs well beyond the range of his weapons.

Along with the clarity of vision afforded by the Coconut Monkey bobblehead to our group leader, I also noticed that enemies had a highly reduced chance of targeting me or my lancemates. Of the 30 games, we roughly lost 5 or 6 mechs total, and one was due to friendly fire. I was left thinking that the Coconut Monkey bobblehead actually functions as a placeholder for the mechanics of the Guardian ECM so that PGI could get data on how it works on the sly (much like how they had the Centurion-AH in place to test the AC/20 arm for the Wen-Lo-Wang before revealing the Hero Mech).

Furthermore, my group leader reported picking up enemy targets with a radar lock much earlier in the match than normal, which further reinforces the above observation by suggesting that the Coconut Monkey bobblehead contains the mechanics for the Beagle Active Probe, extending detection range or otherwise picking up targets significantly earlier than we did in previous matches. In fact, our entire group was noticing this benefit. Perhaps there is test mechanics for C3 as well???

Considering the above observations, we decided to test just how many developer considerations might be attached to the Coconut Monkey bobblehead. What we found is hard to prove, but these are my observations at the very least.

- The Ultra AC/5 seemed to have a much reduced or eliminated jam rate. During my play I didn't see it jam once.

- My mech's heat dissipation seemed to be improved as I didn't overheat nearly as often as before.

- AMS for my entire team seemed to function at greater capacity, easily swatting down massive walls of LRMs from PUG Awesomes, Dragons, and Centurions that were launched at us.

Ultimately, I'm not sure if the benefits of the Coconut Monkey bobblehead were placeholder for testing design choices, a bug, or whether it is intended for such MTX decorations to actually have in game effects and thus allow players to pay to win. Either way, some players will see the benefit of the Coconut Monkey bobblehead and use its power for their own gain before PGI can patch it and then cry "nerf" when their decoration is reduced in effectiveness. When the power of the Coconut Monkey bobblehead fades, that will be a a dark day for some, and a bright day for most.

Until then, with great power comes great responsibility, and an unstoppable force that can only be countered by new tactics or a Coconut Monkey bobblehead of your own.

I'm curious if others have noticed the power of the Coconut Monkey bobblehead, or if it is a fevered delusion experienced by an entire 8 man team.

#2 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:41 AM

This is true. I am the Coconut Monkey.

#3 EternalCore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

@OP: You are 110% wrong as the Coconut monkey bobblehead is just that a Coconut monkey bobblehead Dashboard ornament and nothing more!

P.S. Btw its Free just like this one is too: http://mwomercs.com/nvidia

Edited by EternalCore, 04 November 2012 - 12:52 AM.

#4 Volthorne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

My cocnut monkey's name is "Curious George". When people ask why, I show him to them and they learn how "curiosity killed the cat" - or in this case, "curiosity killed the Cat's target".

Edited by Volthorne, 04 November 2012 - 12:53 AM.

#5 Eshek

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

On the other hand, the nVidia fairy is way underpowered. The coconut monkey provides almost 5 more bps (bobbles per second) than the fairy, which is, of course, motionless. They really need to bring back the canon wing-swing and jiggle physics of the fairy, or I'll have to ask for a refund for my 'Like' on the nVidia FB page.

#6 ArkS

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationVenezuela

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

Troll.

EDIT: But it makes sense... i kill more people with my coconut monkey >.>!

Edited by ArkS, 04 November 2012 - 12:57 AM.

#7 Zphyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 703 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

The OP was joking... or wasn't he?! OMG! That's why my mech with the fairy was dying quicker and more often! And the W/L ratio just went underground... The monkey is totally an exploit!

#8 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

View PostMister Zeus, on 04 November 2012 - 12:38 AM, said:

it is a fevered delusion experienced by an entire 8 man team.

Moving this to the forum where the jokes belong.

#9 Mister Zeus

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

I can't be 110% wrong. And our sudden 30:1 victory:defeat ratio has to be more than coincidence. Hell, we lost 6 mechs at the most out of those 31 games. SIX! I've never experienced that in MWO. I've won games handily before, but never like this. We just strutted to victory like there were no F^(%$ to be given that day after the Coconut Monkey bobblehead was installed.

Totally OP.

#10 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:00 AM

View PostMister Zeus, on 04 November 2012 - 12:38 AM, said:

an entire 8 man team.

This is why.

View PostMister Zeus, on 04 November 2012 - 12:57 AM, said:

I can't be 110% wrong.

Nope, only 100%... ;-0

#11 Slaughterama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 231 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

I have heard of the amazing coconut monkey power. Unfortunately it apparently works only on fast rigs. On my minimum spec comp it just taunts me and poops in my cockpit. I once tried to remove it from my cockpit with no success, it has found a straight razor and glares at me threateningly. I'm not quite sure what to do.

#12 Doctor Death

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 120 posts
  • LocationIndiana/Chicago area

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:19 AM

On Nov. 2nd, 2012, the coconut monkeys became self-aware...

#13 IQwrassler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 167 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario ... hunting for kimuras ...

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:09 AM

Can verify:

Coconut Monkey gives 10% damage boost to LRMS, 15% view distance, and 5% torso twist speed bonus. Also, it unlocks a crazy new AI voice that sounds kinda like a high pitched jamaican guy with a penchant for violence.

BOMBACLOTS BE DROPPIN DA LRMs, ALL DA WAY FROM BABYLON!

Edited by IQwrassler, 05 November 2012 - 06:10 AM.

#14 Snowblack

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

I think he is right ( i believe him)and it was a sly rig from the devs and its amazing how many jokers try to snag some attention trying to ridicule him. I wish i had a pipboy boblehead though.

#15 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

View PostEshek, on 04 November 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

On the other hand, the nVidia fairy is way underpowered. The coconut monkey provides almost 5 more bps (bobbles per second) than the fairy, which is, of course, motionless. They really need to bring back the canon wing-swing and jiggle physics of the fairy, or I'll have to ask for a refund for my 'Like' on the nVidia FB page.

Jiggling fairy...

#16 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

OMG P2W

#17 Shelshoq

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder