MWO Needs to Support Oculus Rift Headgear !!!!

30 replies to this topic

#21 Monkeystador

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

I will get a dev version. Its only 300$ and the immersion will be awesome for this game.
The coding can not be that hard to do. Since look around in the cockpit already exists, even i could attack that to the oculus head tracker.
The picture distortion for the rift headset is probably a bit hard to do.

#22 Laokin

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

To make Mechwarrior support Occulus, all they have to do is enable 3d [which is greyed out in options, obviously a planned feature] and allow binds for the occulus for mouselook.

That's it.

1 planned feature already. And the other, is just adding a few new binds to the game. (Since the function is already present, +ctrl mouselook.)

If they wanted to be super cool, they could add mouselook arm aiming, so your arms followed you head like a heli pilot.

But that's not even necessary to be consider support.

#23 Team Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

View PostLaokin, on 13 March 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

To make Mechwarrior support Occulus, all they have to do is enable 3d [which is greyed out in options, obviously a planned feature] and allow binds for the occulus for mouselook.

That's it.

1 planned feature already. And the other, is just adding a few new binds to the game. (Since the function is already present, +ctrl mouselook.)

If they wanted to be super cool, they could add mouselook arm aiming, so your arms followed you head like a heli pilot.

But that's not even necessary to be consider support.

Free look actually controls your arms already. So practically done.

But this would take them quite some time because they're having trouble getting people to plug in to the matrix.

Edited by Team Leader, 13 March 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#24 Michael Costanza

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 258 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

Beta.

'Nuff said

#25 Vanguard319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

View PostCarnivoris, on 04 November 2012 - 07:07 AM, said:

Has the technology behind VR finally gotten to the point where it doesn't cause severe disorientation once you take the helmet off? I played some VR arcade games back in the late 90s and I could barely walk straight after maybe 10 minutes of play.

I've heard somewhere that they solved most of the major hurdles that cause eye strain, as I understand it, the rift's stretched pixels create an optical illusion that tricks your eyes into focusing like they would when at rest. If it's true, then the likelihood of suffering a migraine wearing it should be pretty low.

#26 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

device that will cause vision problems, no thanks. I can only imagine the class action suit coming down the pipe when this thing hits the market. I sure hope they dont waste time on this device but if they do oh well.

#27 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Why does MWO almost seem it is already ready for this game?

Almost all the HUD can be moved into the screens in the cockpit.

And once the joystick, throttle stick, and paddles...my mind is just going kinda crazy...

Who needs pods?

Edited by Zyllos, 13 March 2013 - 07:11 PM.

#28 Tykelau

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationPisces - Cetus Supercluster Complex

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

So much anger on the internets.

This is an amazing product, it's a kickstarter project so the company is brand new and capital light. It does some things fundamentally better than any VR headset before so it could be a game changer. To me this is exciting stuff.

Problems however arise with MWO. The "devs" seem to be of low skill and the direction and management of bug fixes and communication which should be the #1 priority seem at the bottom of the pile. Once/if they get the major issues addressed maybe the community will be less hostile to the idea.

#29 Peiper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

I'd like a joystick with a hat. You know, like on the ten+year old joystick I have waiting for joystick support. I don't need all the gadgets, but being able to look around: left/right/rear view camera would be nice. It worked like a charm in MW4, but the loss of ANY peripheral vision really makes this game annoying really bloody challenging.

#30 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

They may be capital light but PGI is Developer light so let them make their game and let your Oculus guys make their product.

Anyone besides me get the feeling some of the Oculus guys visit game forums to promote their wares?

#31 Dirty Old Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:04 AM

Recent updates by PGI Russ has hinted that he was indeed impressed by the dev kits and had a good discussion with the inventor Lucky. And his video answer was stay tune and lets see how it is going to happen.....

That means its a Yes on Interests !!! but may not be the priority as there are bigger fish to fry at the moment namely beta platform stability enhancements, netcodes and CW is top ranked stuff to work on I suppose.

Still its great that the visit to GDC really peaked the PGI dev team and they are interested !!!!!

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users