Speed is life - your Commando

25 replies to this topic

#21 Nokkeli

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

View PostTheodor Kling, on 05 November 2012 - 11:51 AM, said:

I disagree. My non-streak Commando runs a simple 100 kph and can evade most fire from heavier mechs. Jenners are sometimes a problem, and so is everything packing lots of SSRMs of course.. but against those even a huge XL engine doesn´t realy help.
Sure I did loose a 1on1 agaisnt a raven .. but it took about half the match ( the real fighting was elsewhere) and the raven was holding together by the sheer will of the pilot.

Also, don't forget the commando is very small. Even if it's going at standard speed it will be very hard to hit. But agreed, the bigger engine wont hurt you, if someone gets a good hit on you, you´r dead anyway.

#22 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

XL - 145
Endo
FF

LRM10 (2 Tons ammo)
X2 SSRM2 (1 Ton ammo)
Med Laser

Left over into armor.

Most fights you never want to be a light or on the front line during the beginning of a fight, hence the LRM 10 so you can still contribute with out exposing yourself. Once you fire off all 36 shots with the LRM10 you can move in with the SSRM2 and med lasers.

Generally after the time it takes to fire off 36 LRM10 shots a lot of mechs are seriously damaged if not out right cored giving you the ability to sweep in with those SSRM2's and finish them off.

The commando isn't built around speed it's built around agility. Even going as slow as it does, and even as slow as mine, the speed isn't as important as no matter how fast your going in the open is a death sentence.

Instead stick to close confines of buildings and hills, pop out of cover alpha, and dance among the cover.

Most heavies to try and defend against this will stand still or slow way down so they can keep you in their turning radius which gives you excellent chance to put shot after shot into the same area.

Also what's a damn nice med / heavy kill
x2 SRM6
Med Pulse laser

Rest in armor, ammo and heat sinks

#23 Sir Mattington

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 93 posts
  • LocationLakeland, FL

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

I started off with a COM-2D that I had with x2 SRM6's. It hit hard, and there was one match that I managed to get 3 kills with it, but I didn't really care for the setup. Eventually I swapped the SRM6's out for x3 SSRM2's, and that thing is ridiculous. I am regularly towards the top of the damage charts on my team (PUGs), and I am by no means a good Commando pilot.

How I use it: I normally shoot for the base at the start of the match, the best use of the streaks I've found to either take down enemy lights that are scouting ahead, or flank behind a LRM boat and tear them to pieces. If the boats on the other team are pure boats (All LRMs, no lasers), close in to <250m and just shred them. Also makes a good "distraction" mech if you can find an Atlas/Awesome that's brawling and just plink at it while your teammates do the dirty work.

Setup: 3x SSRM2's (2 in arm, 1 in torso) + 2 Tons Ammo
Standard engine (150)
Rest is all heatsinks/armor. I split my armor evenly over front/back, so there is SOME protection when running away.

#24 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:17 AM

In my opinion Commando has a better chance to survive a match with an XL200 engine.
With a stock 150 you cannot outrun a stock Jenner, and it`s carrying more firepower.

Edited by Kmieciu, 06 November 2012 - 05:17 AM.

#25 Mylar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

Gotta be going at least as fast as the Jenners, or you are food for them.
Mine is running with the stock engine out of my raven-4x and that gets me to 113kph, and I can still mount my three streaks. That puts me in a pretty good spot for killing Jenners.

When Jenners fight each other they circle, since they are the same speed. Jenners are used to being faster than a Commando so a lot of times they will take passes at you alphaing on their way by. When they do that it's real easy to get a good hold of their tail and just ride it, eating their back armor with your missiles.

#26 Mordynak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 374 posts
  • LocationThe United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:06 AM

I don't see any point in the XL150, 155, 160 or 165 over the 170.

I understand getting a XL 150 over a STD 150 is just making it lighter at the same speed, but the XL 150 weighs the same as the XL 170.

So whats the point? If its just the price then thats a bit stupid. Why would anyone buy an XL 150 for 300,000 less than the Xl170 purely because its cheaper

Or is there actually a weight difference that just isnt shown in the list?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users