2 replies to this topic

#1 MadDach5und

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 September 2024 - 07:57 AM

I have a rather recent Mini PC that runs basically like a laptop -
I haven't had any serious problems with gaming - save for one - MWO runs the GPU hot, and I get cooling fan activation rather quickly, and rubber-banding frame dropping within a half hour or so.

I'm pretty sure the heat is an issue with the game being developed thru older softwares, textures and layering, since more elaborate newer games don't get those kind of heat problems until a few hours in.

The computer comes pre-installed with AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition and it's got a dazzling number of ways to tweak it - I have no idea where to start. When I've checked the temps of the chips - the CPU has barely any problem, but the GPU jumps into the 70 C range rather quickly.

Computer Specs:
Geekom Mini PC i7
Processor: AMD Ryzen R9 7940HS (4 ghz?)
GPU: AMD Radeon 780M (integrated)
Mem: 32 GB DDR5
SSHD: 2 TB
Windows 11

Edit: Game Played in Windowed Format on 27" monitor - window is usually about 1920x1080 on a 2560x1440 screen

I've had people suggest making a VM partition in Windows 7 to run the thing in it's developer native format - dunno If that's smart, but I do have a huge amount of drive space. What other creative ideas have you got?

Edit: Don't be sarcastic or snarky and say "Buy Something Else" because I'm not. Don't want to hear people bragging about THEIR marvels of technology, either - just want some honest feedback about what tweaks or settings may work best for integrated graphics. Thanks.

Edited by MadDach5und, 23 September 2024 - 08:05 AM.

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,740 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 September 2024 - 05:24 PM

I rarely see those top of comments on the MWO forum threads. The GPU is the integrated with the CPU. From the video reviews, expect it to run warm. Like laptops, you will be looking at pushing or pulling the heat off of the case. The one fan blowing out of the rear should not be hampered/restricted, but it is likely not enough by itself. If utilizing a fan, ensure it is not blowing into the backside where the one exhaust fan is located. Also, repasting and reseating the heatsink may help but only do that last.

How long have you had the Geekom? With the SFF, the heatsink may require to be cleaned.

CPU base frequency is 4.0ghz with Max. Boost Clock 5.2ghz
Integrated Radeon 780M - Introduced Jan 2023. Shares system member The GPU is operating at a frequency of 800 MHz, which can be boosted up to 2700 MHz. Its power draw is rated at 15 W maximum.

The frame dropping will likely be to the overall heat, exceeding the heat threshold, thus dropping the voltage which drops the the the cpu/gpu speeds.

For some players, again, dependent on their SFF and/or laptop, many have had success with throttling the turbo boost. when it starts to pushing the GHZ speeds, that drops power which causes the components to generate heat. Putting a "bridle": on it helped many to have a more stable, steady game. Lower FPS but more consistent than it yo-yoing up and down in speed.

What game settings are you using? While out of the game, clear the shaders? Run the Repair Tool on the standalone Launchpad? And have you reviewed and generated a manual user.config file?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 24 September 2024 - 05:25 PM.

#3 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 25 September 2024 - 12:05 AM

There are kind of cooling pads available for gaming laptops, better ventilation is prob your best bet. Otherwise if your fps normally are fine u could try tweaking power limits and undervolting.

I don't think an VM layer will help, since normally u always loose performance to the VM.

All settings but maybe textures to low and a low resolution reduce the stress on the GPU part(custom cfg is prob your best bet).

And in addition u should obviously run the laptop on the power cable since otherwise slot of software power reduction might come into play

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 25 September 2024 - 12:10 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users