269 replies to this topic

#261 MCXL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 465 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

Part 2 of that chapter will happen, but I honestly have felt pretty burnt out over the course of this holiday season.

I still enjoy playing the game from time to time, but I don't feel motivated to talk about how to improve it because of a total lack of meaningful response to those of us who are giving well reasoned, well researched feedback.

#262 Powder Monkey

• PipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

View PostHatachi, on 04 November 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

I agree with almost everything you've just said and wrote a very similar post in closed beta. However, I can't control my snarkiness enough to not post this picture.

Battlemechs are roleplaying characters.

Posted Image

Sorry, but I have to steal this image from you!

#263 Delta66

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

DOnt give in MCXL,
Take a break from the forums for a while and just play. Reading a game's forums will kill it for you every time.
As a Battletech Classic "Neckbeard" type. I Have to say that this thread is the breath of fresh air that the Devs need

#264 MCXL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 465 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 20 November 2012 - 12:44 AM, said:

SNIP...What you would need them for if you had, say 4 PPCs and want them all to fire together - no matter how many heat sinks you would have, you'd overheat on that salvo. You need to chain fire them then.

But maybe that's exactly how things should be to make heat management more interesting and challenging, and to counter the advantages of convergence?

This is one of the best solutions I've seen floating around the forums. From a design perspective this change provides the player with more choices. Do I do DPS or do I do damage RIGHT NOW and be a sitting duck.

In the current system the choice is simply how long to do dps for, and THEN get to that choice, but have everything feel a lot less satisfying.

Edited by MCXL, 07 December 2012 - 08:50 AM.

#265 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

View PostRAM, on 20 November 2012 - 02:57 AM, said:

Solaris is perfectly capable of using any & all advanced rules – just like Battletech, Battleforce, Battletroops, Battlespace, etc.

Solaris did work like that. If you are going to try and correct me, at least make sure I am wrong.
“a Battlemech’s heat sinks act as buffers that absorb their rating every turn. Any heat generated in excess of a ‘Mech’s Heat Sink Rating is accumulated and carries over to the next turn.” (pg 45)
Sound familiar?

Ignoring that the Solaris mechs have been reprinted, see above as to heat. Once again demonstrating it is not my knowledge that has gaps – but it is not surprising that you can use the OOP for over a decade excuse I suppose.

Ignoring/dismissing my answer does not mean I have not answered the question. Weapon balance changes depending upon the accuracy of the model; as Solaris is the most accurate model, its balance is proper. Far more importantly however, is that the armour distribution is for non-PPA weapons; as the MWO wpns are effectively PPA it robs larger weapons of their balance NOT the cyclic rates.

While colloquially referred to as dueling rules the fact of the matter is that they can be used for any level of combat, just as the higher scale models can be used for dueling. The game attempts to simulate real-time mech combat and therefore should use the closest model to real time.

The Solaris rules far more accurately depict Battlemech combat on the sub-Unit scale as demonstrated in no less than four (4) previous games.

RAM
ELH

I don't have the original Solaris rules, but didn't they change them in the reprint to equal TT rules? I don't have many of my books any more (dam sewage back up!).

#266 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:14 AM

RISE thread... Rise from your slumber!

And for any new people around - I'm afraid the problems with game-play - especially pertaining to "heat" balance are very deep indeed.

#267 Birkow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationThe island

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:39 PM

Bump!
Necromancers unite, we need to rise this thread from the dead!

Devs could learn from this thread a lot.

Edited by Birkow, 28 August 2013 - 11:42 PM.

#268 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:50 PM

You really want someone to read 14 pages of a nearly year old thread?

#269 Birkow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationThe island

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:29 AM

It is nearly year old but still valid. And no need to read all 14 pages, at least what op wrote.

#270 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

What would you do with 10 tons?

Honestly, my choices are extremely limited. Especially running a SDR-5V. Your choices are: 1 ERLL OR 1 LL OR some combination of 2 ML/MPL/Flamer. 2 MPL seems to be the best option for it. Speaking of efficiencies for the SDR-5V: Why does it even have an arm speed efficiency? There's nothing on the arms that needs to be moved.

Just another example of why the Hardpoint limitation is a little silly in some cases. It's existence almost completely invalidates your question. However, the alternative seems to be having everyone and their brother running around boating almost exclusively. I just really wish they would find a better way to stop boating, while truly preserving the ability for pilots to customize their 'Mechs weapon load outs. IMO, phantom heat is a step in the right direction.

Edited by Throet, 20 September 2013 - 09:48 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users