[Joystick/controller Advanced Workaround Support]{Throttle, Deadzone, Joystick Sensitivity & Logitech + Saitek Fix}

96 replies to this topic

#81 DDM PLAGUE

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 151 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

View PostEternalCore, on 04 November 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

Note: Workaround is below. - This thread will be constantly updated so keep checking back.

Content Updated: Dec. 5th, 2012

Updated for:
Spoiler

Patch 1.2.177(Jan. 15th 2013) - No updates required

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Workaround::

i: Note: Make sure your controller is the default game device. To check Read here under Method 3: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831361

ii: Video of How the Joystick should work: Saitek X52-Pro Gameplay

A: Add(Copy & Paste) these lines below(in the spoiler) into your "user.cfg" in the "MechWarrior Online" Folder using Notepad to make the throttle work in (Forward/Neutral/Reverse) mode; also fixes the joystick deadzone & sensitivity:

Note: Read in the spoiler for the "Logitech 3D Extreme Pro" & Older Joysticks that use potentiometers, deadzones and Settings fix.

Spoiler

B1: Use the MWO game to setup your joystick/controller buttons and Axis. If that doesn't help then try using the xml below in B2.

B2: Use this XML(in the spoiler) for the basic keys and joystick:

"actionmaps.xml" is in this location
"MechWarrior Online\USER\Profiles\[user_login_name]"

Spoiler

And use your Profile manager to map the rest of the keys. If you don't have one then you can try this free one called Joy2Key: http://sourceforge.n...ojects/joy2key/

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro users: Use the Logitech Gaming Software to setup the rest of your buttons; if you require the software download it from here: http://www.logitech....pport/game-gear

C: Saitek Users Continue Below here:

Note Saitek users: Here's the official manual that explains how to use the SST Joystick profile Manager:: http://www.saitek.co...T_Manual_En.pdf <-PDF Reader Required!

Note: make sure your software and drivers are up to date with the link below.

Saitek Drivers and Software: http://www.saitek.co...own/drivers.php

SST(Saitek Smart Technology) Joystick profile Manager users:

Setup your extra keys as you desire.

Here's the current settings I'm using for my profile for my X-52Pro.

1. Create a new text file here
"Documents\Saitek SD6 Profiles"

named "mwo.pr0"(be sure to remove the .txt extention)

2. Copy this code(in the spoiler) into the file using Notepad:
Spoiler

3. Save and exit notepad.

4. enable the profile using SST systray Icon

5. set weapons group 2 in the game(or use my xml above) to this key "]" this will allow you to use both your 1st and 2nd triggers with the primary firing button.

6. The rest of the keys are as follows:
Fire D = "Space bar" for Jump Jets.
Toggle 1(UP) = "N" for Night Vision on/off
Toggle 2(UP) = "H" for Heat Vision on/off
POV 2(Down; it's the one above Fire C) = "Z" for Zoom in/out

7. The throttle Thumb mouse is disabled because it kept getting hit while in intense combat.

8. Switch to mode 3 and enjoy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Working Joystick/Controller Configs:

Comming soon...

Troubleshooting:

1A: if your getting this error "mwo.pr0 does not contain a profile for this device. The device has not been profiled"

Make sure your game device(X-52Pro) is set as the default game device in the "Game Device Control Panel", then try the following::
Create a new profile called MWO using the profiler, then go to the file and delete everything in it and replace it with The saitek config file above. Also, make sure when you paste it that the code is not pasted from left to right at the top of the page, but rather top to bottom. (It should look exactly like whats posted above) You may have to paste it from that post directly into a word doc instead of notepad first so that it shows up like html code, then copy it from the word doc and paste it in your newly created profile.

1B: Q:: My sensitivities are slow and or dead-zones are not working right; or to the way I like them.
A:: Check your "Game Device Control Panel" to see if the sensitivity and dead-zones are set right and to the way you want.

2A: Q:: My Logitech 3D Pro/Extreme isn't working the way it should in game.
A:: The Logitech - 3D Pro/extreme is known to have high mechanical/electronic failure rates, due to Logitech using cheap parts; which means it may not be the game or software. Use this search To find out and diagnose your 3D pro: https://www.google.c...e+3d+pro+repair

3A: Q:: Why not make a simple guide for the joysticks.
A:: It's not as easy as everyone thinks to make a basic guide as there are way too many different joysticks/controllers and the sensitivity + deadzones are all different on each of them... So keeping it generalized Like I have done is the best way at this point in time. But you are welcome to tinker with the user.cfg that I have posted to make it work with your joystick/controller and then share the settings with me and others on this forum.
Just keep in mind though that to do so you have to restart your game everytime you make a change, which is very tedious..

4A: Q:: My Mech's lags only turn on/off; but I want them to move Slow to fast while turning my mech...
A::

Note: The profile will be updated by me if required in the future so continue to check back.

Any news on when the turn report will be fixed/

#82 WOLF138

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

Hey I have an issue here that may or may not be an actual controller problem. I Had been playing on an older window's 7 machine using a Logitech "Extreme" 3D pro and it had been working perfectly. I have just switched over to a newer computer that runs windows 8 (yes I know this is a terrible system) now the game runs pretty smoothly and the joystick is mapping properly and for the most part is working fine. The only issue is that now the torso twisting on the joystick is extremely slow compared to how it was on the same mechs on the windows 7 machine but all other parameters work as they did before. At first I assumed that this was an issue with the Z axis sensitivity or something but I switched the axis of the torso twist and steering and the z axis turned the mech at the same rate but the torso twist (now on the Y axis) was still extremely slow. Does anyone know what's going on here and any potential work abounds? any help would be greatly appreciated.

#83 Dslam21

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

What an awesome thread! Thanks to Eternal Core.
I'm using the logitech joystick mentioned here and the only issue I have is mapping the POV to the hat switch and havng the free look to work. I've used the combination of the joystick software and the mapping options found in MOWnOW, but it's not working. The MOW options don't even have an option for POV. I keep getting these little natty mechs sneaking up on me from behind...suggestions on how to add these commands to my stick would be helpful.

#84 Dslam21

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

What an awesome thread! Thanks to Eternal Core.
I'm using the logitech joystick mentioned here and the only issue I have is mapping the POV to the hat switch and havng the free look to work. I've used the combination of the joystick software and the mapping options found in MOWnOW, but it's not working. The MOW options don't even have an option for POV. I keep getting these little natty mechs sneaking up on me from behind...suggestions on how to add these commands to my stick would be helpful.

#85 BADWVLF

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:13 AM

i have a logtech3d pro,,everytime i sign in i spend a hour trying to calm it down so it is smooth and steady,,and it never realy does,,my logtech profile helps some,,but there is some sort of game problem,,no other game i play has this trouble,,takes a hour each sign on to stop the mech from turning in circles then to keep the target reticle from jumping all over the screen at the slightest touch,,i am not going to be botherd by modifying files this is a game issue that needs to be fix by the programmers,,it shud be consistant,smooth and steady and we need a slider sensitivity setting,,mouse has 1,why did they not put one in for joystick? almost left the game yesterday but tried 1 more thing,,got rid of the joystick and useing keys only and my laptop touch pad and you know im not doing bad,,i can lay in on long range targets pretty quick,,never cud do that with stick..right now its pretty good with my jag6 and atlas,,however my scoutships and differant story getting use to buttons and getting to know them without looking such as uav,,jumpjets and its very hard to hit a target at that speed fighting another scout mech,,but other than that,,im not doing too bad with keys only.my touch pad sensitivity can be changed by the mouse sensitivity,,so think ill be ok just need more practice with my fast mechs i should think..now my next issue is the ultra 5s ,think they need to reconsider the jam to 10 to 20 rounds,,i run twin ultra5s stacked on 1 arm ,,my ammo in the other,,its a cool lookin gun,,it sounds cool like a rifle shud sound,,but very irritating in a tuff fight with the ******** jam,,no way they need to jam that much when comming against ac20s and gauss rifles.

#86 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

Sigh... technical difficulties preventing your hardware from cooperating is the *least of your problems. The shortest I can put it is that MWO reticule aim is designed around direct position manipulation (called zero-order control), however a joystick generates directional velocity inputs (first-order control).

An application designed around direct inputs can never be manipulated as effectively by a controller that generates directional velocity. Easy test: The cursor in your browser is just like the reticule in MWO. Take your joystick and set it up for mouse emulation (I can help if you need...) and try to spend an entire day using nothing but that stick for all your precision pointer movements. That, my friend, is what you are up against.

Here's an analogy in the meantime. Imagine playing chess. Zero-order control would be like using your hand to move the piece directly, and for this reason is also why it is called direct input. A joystick however, would be like strapping the chess piece to a tiny RC car and then driving it to the square you want it in. It is a much more difficult task to do in real time, and no match in a race vs someone using direct control. MWO is such a race.

Playing MWO with a joystick leaves direct inputs in your *mouse using enemies hands, while you are hard at work driving the reticule around the screen like a tiny RC car. This is *after you have cleared obstacle one, the terrible native joystick support. For some of us (anyone using a TARGET enabled stick) this is a non-issue that is easily bypassed, allowing one to jump right into assessing viability, and even a Warthog is a fish out of water.

Unfortunately no amount of joystick support by PGI (short of 'nerfing mice'...) or technical workarounds to make your stick function will change the underlying issue of MWO being a zero-order application and a normal joystick being a first-order controller. So long as you bring a first-order controller to the battle, you are basically bringing a knife to a gun fight.

*There are zero-order joysticks however, but if you don't make one it's unlikely you have one. I myself refuse to play with a mouse, so I built such a device for my mechpit and like it a lot. It works quite well, but trying to explain to people why it works is how I wound up with a 3000 word essay on the subject.

The regular 'mouse vs joystick' debate is a tired old trope that is not well understood by most. Controls Demystified(?).

#87 Drahazar

Rookie

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

I still cannot find the user.cfg

#88 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

I still cannot find the user.cfg

They used to be included in the game file, but now you need to generate one by taking the following steps:

1 goto: C:GamesPiranha GamesMechWarrior Online
2. click 'new text document' on the taskbar
3. name it: user.cfg.
4. open it with notepad to add/edit lines, and be sure to save it when closing it.
5. MWO client needs to be restarted (if already running) for changes to take effect

#89 Drahazar

Rookie

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

Ok thanks now where do I increase the joystick sensitivity its slow. I read through the posts but I am not sure where to insert or add the sensitivity. heres my code.

-- MWO Joystick config setting for user.cfg Version:Openbeta_1.0.0 by EternalCore
-- Last Update: Nov 4th 2012

cl_joystick_invert_pitch = 1 //Sets the y-axis(aka Pitch) in the right direction
;cl_joystick_invert_yaw = 1 //Sets the x-axis(aka yaw) in the right direction
cl_joystick_invert_throttle = 1 //makes the throttle work in the right direction.
cl_joystick_throttle_range = 0 //makes the throttle work in (Forward/Neutral/Reverse) mode
i_joystick_buffered = 0 //disables the Joystick buffering which greatly increases the joystick's sensitivity

-- The Following Commands are for the MOUSE and Joystick Mech Sensitivity
-- NOTE: They have been setup to increase the look speed/zoom on the joystick and will make your mouse
-- extremely sensitive
-- (ALTER AT OWN RISK) - To reset to default Just Delete these lines and restart the game
gp_mech_view_look_sensitivity = 0.0090 //Normal view
gp_mech_view_zoom_level1_sensitivity_modifier = 0.2 //Zoom 1.5x
gp_mech_view_zoom_level2_sensitivity_modifier = 0.3 //Zoom 3x
gp_mech_view_zoom_level3_sensitivity_modifier = 0.35 //Zoom 4x
-- Joystick DeadZone, you require both the i and cl lines to make the joystick deadzone change work
-- For Logitech extreme 3D pro and older joystick users remove the ; for the 2 lines below
i_joystick_deadzone = 0.040 //Logitech Extreme 3D pro Deadzone fix
cl_joystick_deadzone = 0.040 //You need both of these lines set the same to make the deadzone work properly

-- For Logitech extreme 3D pro and older joystick users and add the ; to the begining of the 2 lines below
i_joystick_deadzone = 0.0005 //The deadzone is Set at the lowest so that you get the maximum range of your joystick
cl_joystick_deadzone = 0.0005 //You need both of these lines set the same to make the deadzone work properly

-- Field Of View
cl_fov = 77 //This is set so that you can see more of your cockpit and out the windows
-- MWO Joystick config setting for user.cfg Version:Openbeta_1.0.0 by EternalCore
-- EOF

#90 SockBandit

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

New to MWO, downloaded it probably two weeks ago, Can't find my user CFG file anywhere, was it removed? :D is there any way to simply up my joystick sensitivity? Nothing else matters to me but that. my joystick works fully with mech warrior but, my mechs torso twist is painfully slow vs my maxed sensitivity on my mouse. I know this is an older thread but please please help haha.

#91 FireDog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 377 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

View PostSockBandit, on 13 November 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

New to MWO, downloaded it probably two weeks ago, Can't find my user CFG file anywhere, was it removed? :D is there any way to simply up my joystick sensitivity? Nothing else matters to me but that. my joystick works fully with mech warrior but, my mechs torso twist is painfully slow vs my maxed sensitivity on my mouse. I know this is an older thread but please please help haha.

This is where my user.cfg lives:

C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\

Just create a user.txt file using notepad, edit and rename as user.cfg.

#92 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

Can't find my user CFG file anywhere, was it removed?

Not removed, but newer accounts need to have them manually made but it's really easy.

1. goto: C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\
2. click on the 'new folder' option in the toolbar
3. name it: user.cfg (lowercase) and save
4. use notepad to open/edit it, and be sure to save changes when closing it

#93 x Marsh x

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

I don't know if it is because i am dense or just not understanding you, but all i am trying to do is simply "reverse my throttle imput". I am using a Logtitech 3D Pro and all other functions work fine. Unfortunatly, for some reason, my throttle is backwards [throttle UP means STOP and throttle DOWN means FULL SPEED]. I am trying to reverse this [throttle UP means FULL SPEED and throttle DOWN means STOP]. How do i fo that? The Logitech callibration software reads it correctly, it is only in MWO that is causeing the trouble. Please help

#94 MnDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Location"Vallhalla" 1st Rasalhague Dragonregementë

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

View Postx Marsh x, on 08 February 2014 - 07:10 PM, said:

I don't know if it is because i am dense or just not understanding you, but all i am trying to do is simply &quot;reverse my throttle imput&quot;. I am using a Logtitech 3D Pro and all other functions work fine. Unfortunatly, for some reason, my throttle is backwards [throttle UP means STOP and throttle DOWN means FULL SPEED]. I am trying to reverse this [throttle UP means FULL SPEED and throttle DOWN means STOP]. How do i fo that? The Logitech callibration software reads it correctly, it is only in MWO that is causeing the trouble. Please help

This will probably sound counter intuitive...but everything in UI 2.0 is backwards. Under settings, in the controller tab, make sure that Invert Throttle is checked. That should make it not inverted. I know...its backwards, but that's how I have mine and it works fine.

EDIT: You may also want to make sure that your Throttle is set to full and not half on the same page.

Edited by MnDragon, 08 February 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#95 Paladin Brewer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 485 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

I wanted very much so for this to work out. I just have a cheapo Extreme 3D Pro for now. Spent a good hour changing the sensitivity settings in your config, and I dont know, never felt comfortable to me. I always used a joystick in MPBT, would love to use one here, but cant seem to get it.

#96 Jim Jam

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:00 AM

Just got my self a extreme 3D Pro. Thanks for all the work you guys have done in this thread!

#97 CStarker

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:16 PM

I followed the instructions for my Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS-X. The deadzone was fixed, but the 4X sensitivity is still way too high. I reduced the value of "gp_mech_view_zoom_level3_sensitivity_modifier" in "user.cfg" to no effect.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users