14 replies to this topic

#1 knight-of-ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

What is gained by adding multiple jump jets to a mech?
I'd guess that adding more jump jets would allow the mech to stay in the air longer w/o running out of fuel, but can anyone put any quantitative data to that?

If this is documented somewhere, by all means let me know.

#2 SD 47

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

None at the moment. It should give more jumping difference, but that change hasn't made it in.

#3 dal10

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

they are bugged atm. only real advantage is that you won't have to change your build later to take advantage of them.

#4 impar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:59 AM

Wouldnt it be easier to add more jump jet fuel for each additional jump jet?

#5 Minos Murdoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 252 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:37 AM

At the moment you only need 1JJ to get any lift, but this is bugged it should take the full amount on installed JJ's to give the mech any thrust and lift. Personally i've left them installed so i dont have to change my built later.

#6 Greers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 465 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

IF it would be working right any JJ would provide 30m flight. Since it isn't you can stay at 1 JJ ATM.

#7 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

View Postimpar, on 05 November 2012 - 03:59 AM, said:

Wouldnt it be easier to add more jump jet fuel for each additional jump jet?

Jump Jets only use tiny amounts of mercury which is added to normal intaken air and circulated under high compression around the mech's fusion engine, superheating it and then ejecting it as steam thrust.

#8 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

+1
I really enjoy the high level of detail that surround even the smallest widgets in the Battletech/Mechwarrior universe.

#9 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

I'd think that each jump jet would just add more tons of thrust, meaning that you'd need more for heavier mechs. It'd also be nice if extra ones made the jump faster.

#10 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

They're fixing this eventually, so don't get too used to only using 1 jumpjet. If I remember correctly, the current implementation is equivalent to 5 jump jets.

#11 Sean von Steinike

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

A lot of pilots are going to have to rework their builds when they can't jump with just 1 jet anymore. I usually keep 2 on my Jenner but I don't use my jets very often to make high jumps, trying to force simulate what I think having 2 will be like when they are fixed.

#12 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:30 AM

View PostSean von Steinike, on 06 November 2012 - 12:11 AM, said:

A lot of pilots are going to have to rework their builds when they can't jump with just 1 jet anymore. I usually keep 2 on my Jenner but I don't use my jets very often to make high jumps, trying to force simulate what I think having 2 will be like when they are fixed.

I've managed to squeeze on all 5 jump jets on my main Jenner. It's only about 2 tons less to work with.

#13 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:38 AM

The only advantage you have at the moment is redundancy. If the side torso with the Jumpjet is shot off, you still have a second one on the other side. Other than that Im afraid there is no difference between 1 Jumpjet and 10.

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 06 November 2012 - 01:39 AM.

#14 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:01 AM

View PostSean von Steinike, on 06 November 2012 - 12:11 AM, said:

Yeah, same here. I primarily use the jets on my Jenner to turn (more) quickly... i.e. to get that other Jenner off my back.
If I find that 2 jets won't let me jump over that streak cat to break his lock then I may reconsider adding more once jump jets are fixed. Going to take a wait and see approach.

#15 Galaxy Drifter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationEast of Seattle

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

As people have said, it is bugged right now.

I suspect there are going to be a lot of frustrated people, who are currently abusing this bug, when it get fixed.

I think that in it's bugged state, 1jj is acting a 4jj's should. So when it if fixed, people will have to adjust their build when they lose the 3 free crits/tons they are getting now.

For many people, this will be a hard adjustment, so the advantage now to using 4JJ's is to avoid that frustration later.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users