LRM's Damage Grouping vs lights

8 replies to this topic

#1 Valron

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

Since i started running my founder jenner again i have noticed that LRM's seem to be grouping much better on light mechs. Did this change recently? I remember lrms used to be a threat to lights but it took several concentrated volleys to cripple a jenner.

Now it seems one errant lrm 15 volley and half my armor is gone and structure ranges from yellow to orange. This is all without me being tagged, running ams, and running at full speed.

My concern is that with artemis coming out that lights will be murdered by lrms in the first minute of the match

#2 hanitora

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

Either you're packing no armour at all or that is one hell of a lucky 15 barrage. I can take tons of em in my face with a Raven. They don't really hit that much without TAG... unless the LRM boat is at like sub 400m.

Edited by hanitora, 04 November 2012 - 09:37 PM.

#3 Valron

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

I have experienced it and so have many of my corps mates. Its not a game breaking but it is a bit much

#4 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

View PostValron, on 04 November 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

Since i started running my founder jenner again i have noticed that LRM's seem to be grouping much better on light mechs. Did this change recently? I remember lrms used to be a threat to lights but it took several concentrated volleys to cripple a jenner.

Now it seems one errant lrm 15 volley and half my armor is gone and structure ranges from yellow to orange. This is all without me being tagged, running ams, and running at full speed.

My concern is that with artemis coming out that lights will be murdered by lrms in the first minute of the match

And your saying this because you know lights already have lag armor...??
No Collisions, you have to lead a light mech to hit it with lasers, and you are mad about missiles..??
I don't think you need anymore help....

#5 Valron

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

I am not asking for more help just wondering if lrms are grouping more than they should right now. Trust me i miss knockdowns made piloting a light much more challenging.

As for lag armor yeah it sucks, but a good pilot knows to compensate.

#6 Star Colonel Mustard Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 488 posts
  • LocationNarnia

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

Chances are you are either just being out in the open way to much, or you are getting taged. (Tag/narc will cause incoming lrms to focus on whatever part of the mech the tag/narc hits)

#7 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

Yeah I kill lights all the time, but leading them isn't the answer, fixing the broken hit detection/net code is the answer...
Also, any light mech pilot that can't avoid the legs of a slow, lumbering assault mech, well he doesn't have any business piloting a light mech... Light mechs were made for speed, agility, and scouting I.E. (AVOIDING)...
I'm smiling that collisions will be back, hopefully very soon...
But to answer your question, "NO" I haven't noticed tighter grouping of missile only on light targets....

#8 Mordin Ashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

Generally lights have no reliable armor, get hit by anything homed and you are dead. Simple as that.
On the other hand, most current light players lack the CB experience and do really lame steps. Last night I was camping a hill at Caustic, a light was running straight towards me from distance, no zigzaging. I released first volley, second volley and fired all four my medium lasers at his CT. Dead. The most ridiculous death I remember. The poor guy didn't even knew how to use his speed to get an advantage ... hope this changes in time.

#9 The Echo Inside

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

I wondered about this last night actually. But, I can't seem to find a lot of consistency with it, so I'm not sure.

While before, it seemed like LRM's came down in a sort of "box" area, that seemed to be sized based on the number of LRM's fired; It now seems like they come down in a box based on the size of the target. Which (if true) makes them far more deadly to lights. (But, I can't tell if this is my imagination/a distorted memory, or something that actually has changed).

It's difficult to figure out missile behaviour actually, as well. I've been trying different tactics in preparation for a scout guide, but I can't seem to get any consistency. Sometimes running directly away from the volley works better, sometimes at 90 degrees, sometimes right towards the volley. It's odd...

It's not helped though, that sometimes they go right through solid objects, so you'll think you're in cover, but you've actually just made yourself juicer (watch for this on River City and Forest Colony the most).

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users