5 replies to this topic

#1 Cleverbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFeel Good Inc.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

So I'm looking to make my mech lose some weight, and skimping on the engine seems like a good idea.

I'm running a 4SP, with the default 200 engine, thinking about downgrading to a 195 or 190.

But what will the effects be of that? Aside from what I assume slower movement speed. How much speed will I lose?

#2 Reaver225

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

You can check how much speed you lose before buying in the mechlab;

A drop from 200 to 195 engine size per this handy link: http://mwomercs.com/...s-excel-inside/ your hunchback will drop from 64.8 km/h to 63.2 km/h. A relatively negligible drop for 1.5 tonnes - I did the same for my hunchie.

You'll also turn slower ever so slightly, as well as torso twist slower. Side effects may include flanking, nausea, inability to avoid LRMs by running to cover, coring, death.

But only ever so slightly.

(protip: don't go for the XL. It's not worth it on the Hunchback.)

Edited by Reaver225, 05 November 2012 - 05:07 PM.

#3 xXDivoXx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 228 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

Yea the optimal engine on Hutchback is 245 Standart..With SHS but now with DHS it is 250 because 1 dhs will be inside your engine

#4 xXDivoXx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 228 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

if you want to lose Weigh Why not ENdo Steel? Remember best armor is not getting hit at ... Reduce your weapons ... Remember the Rule
Half as long, twice as bright wich means Boat medium pulse and small pulse istead large lasers and use streaks

#5 Grayzzur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 101 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

Also, every 25 you gain or lose a heatsink. All engines/mechs require 10 heatsinks minimum.

225-245 holds 9 and requires 1 more (if you only have 10 heatsinks, that's 1 ton you won't save, and you also lose the critical space).
250-270 holds 10 exactly.
275-295 holds 11. (#11 can be placed inside the engine, requiring no extra critical space, even DHS -- but still costs 1 ton.)

Add/subtract 1 for each 25 jump up or down.

Edited by Grayzzur, 07 November 2012 - 07:11 AM.

#6 Spectre999

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

I've been there too. I agree that Endo-steel is way better if you want to fit a few more tons. I think I got somewhere close to 2,5 out of it.
If you'd want to couple this with an engine downgrade, remember not to go too low. Anything less than 190 and you'll notice the mech gets really, really sluggish. And it's not just the movement speed, the reduced torso mobility can also be pretty painful, especially if some ankle-biters come around.

In a pinch, you can also try and shave a few points off your legs, but anything more than a few points is pushing it.
I once tried to save a ton by pulling everything out of the left arm and dropping its armor to 0. It works, if you are desperate, but I think the benefits of spreading the loadout more evenly far outweight the benefits you ever get from that extra ton, because putting all the eggs in one basket very often left me in a match with nothing but the cockpit laser or the AMs.

If you're trying to make more room for the LRMs, consider if you really need to go full LRM 20+Artemis, which is theoretically possible on a hunchie.
From my boating experience, a regular 2x15 package is still very, very mean, and is pretty generous in terms of internal breathing space.
This applies to other types of armament as well. Sometimes chain-linked medium lasers will be more offective overall than a PPC. Consider your weight and learn to make do with what you have.

Edited by Spectre999, 07 November 2012 - 07:38 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users