How Expensive Are Xl Engines To Repair?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Hansh0tfirst

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

Still a relatively noobish player here, but I think I've optimized my mech (RVN-4X) as far as I can within its current tonnage limits. I've been considering swapping out my standard 245 engine for an XL (particularly in anticipation of ECM) but I'm concerned how financially viable that will be. I've heard horror stories attributed to XL engines dramatically increasing repair fees.

Currently, under worse-case scenarios (e.g., I lose multiple limbs and get cored), I believe my repairs average upwards of 40k C-bills. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure what impact an XL might have on that? What might I expect under similar circumstances... 60-80k in repairs? More?

Oh, and I don't know if it's relevant, but yes, I am already using Endo-steel.

#2 Dewil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:36 AM

It is survivable.

Having checked on some repair bills I would have earned something like 5-10 000 C-bills on a really, really bad game with a really big repair bill if it weren't for the Premium Bonus.

But many games the repair bill for Items (where you find the engine) is less that 10 000.

The really big repair bill for XL was 2 months ago where you lost money if your engine had recieved any damage even if you won. It was a lot of updates ago, but the horror stories still live.

#3 Knyght

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

Going from 250 to 245 is bad these days, since you lose a free engine heatsink (1 ton) for the sake of saving, what is it, half a ton, a ton, for the lighter engine, which will get you killed anyway since you'd be much too slow for a light mech..

#4 Greers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 465 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:01 AM

For a 300XL Engine, if it's destroyed I pay 45k.

#5 Hansh0tfirst

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:32 AM

Thanks for the reponses everyone. I took the plunge and only found my repair bills going up by about 10k (at most).

#6 manicx782

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:40 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 06 September 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

XL Engines cost 4x as much as their Standard counterparts, and the repair costs show it. Be mindful of this.

#7 Prandur Everdark

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:51 AM

What happens if I don't repair my engine, or any items for that matter? I know that for armor and ammo, you still get 75% back for free.

#8 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:10 AM

Right now, it does `t matter if an engine is damaged or not, because you cannot die from a critical hit that destroys the engine.
It`s a bug, really.

The only way to die is to loose all the structure points in the head, or the center torso, or both legs (or one side torso when using XL engine) .

Long story short: not repairing an engine won`t affect in game performance.

#9 Prandur Everdark

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:38 AM

I see, thanks... but what about other components/items? So far, I haven't noticed any drawbacks to ignoring the repairs of all items/components, and just repairing armor and structure.

#10 Sovery_Simple

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 269 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:41 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 07 November 2012 - 03:10 AM, said:

Right now, it does `t matter if an engine is damaged or not, because you cannot die from a critical hit that destroys the engine.
It`s a bug, really.

The only way to die is to loose all the structure points in the head, or the center torso, or both legs (or one side torso when using XL engine) .

Long story short: not repairing an engine won`t affect in game performance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believed -three- engine criticals need to die for the mech to die, not just one?

#11 Antagonist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

View PostWhoops, on 08 November 2012 - 07:41 AM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believed -three- engine criticals need to die for the mech to die, not just one?

IS XL engines have 3 crits in both side torsos.

#12 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:05 AM

If you want more money, manually uncheck the box for repairing items.

An XL engine at 30% hp functions exactly the same as one at 100%.

;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users