A look back, MechWarrior 2 1995 (SideStrafe's Nostalgia Night)

7 replies to this topic

#1 SideStrafe

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

Hey all,

Inspired by MWO I decided to pay tribute to the classic that basically started it all, MechWarrior 2 from 1995! The following video includes some of the best quality gameplay you'll find for such an old title, as well as narration.

Watch on YouTube and in HD for best results. Enjoy!

#2 pursang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts
  • LocationSurrey BC, Canada

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

Excellent!

*Thumbs up*

#3 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

reposted my comment from the video to here

Damn good video. I agree, back then was a great time. free soundtracks, good manuals, and gameplay. Now we get Graphics, Graphics and them taking our money for something half the worth.

#4 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

Nice! You stated all of the things that make Mechwarrior 2 an awesome game and my personal favorite game of all time.

#5 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 15 April 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

Damn good video. I agree, back then was a great time. free soundtracks, good manuals, and gameplay. Now we get Graphics, Graphics and them taking our money for something half the worth.

Cost of a Game in 1995? $50 ..... Cost of a game 17 years later? $50.. sometimes $60.

The majority of the costs of a game are still primarily in production and marketing. Distribution , although expensive , is a much smaller portion. Distributing via digital means obviously they cut out the majority of these costs, but considering inflation I would say we are getting MORE for our money today.

That being said, I agree in that I miss manuals.

Cheers.

Edited by Helmer, 15 April 2012 - 02:57 PM.

#6 infinite xaer0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

nice video! I think it was a solid rundown. now if we're talking about 90's mech nostalgia, It would be cool if you did a complementary video for Earthsiege II. :angry: i dunno how big that game was in comparison to MW2, but it did come out in the same year, and was most definitely in competition. I think it was also developed by the same ppl who made mechwarrior 1

a little video for comparison:

#7 Agent Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 437 posts
  • Locationbottom left of canaduh

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

I think what I miss most from that game was the awesome music. Just listen in the background of that video, it just gave the whole game an epic feeling. I remember playing the cd on my protable discman and would listen to the tracks as I walked to school.

#8 SideStrafe

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:09 PM

View Postinfinite xÆr0, on 15 April 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

nice video! I think it was a solid rundown. now if we're talking about 90's mech nostalgia, It would be cool if you did a complementary video for Earthsiege II. :angry: i dunno how big that game was in comparison to MW2, but it did come out in the same year, and was most definitely in competition. I think it was also developed by the same ppl who made mechwarrior 1

a little video for comparison:

For some reason I missed out on Earthsiege, I was thinking about doing something for Heavy Gear as that's what Activision picked up after they lost the Battletech licence.

View Postagent_cooper, on 15 April 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

I think what I miss most from that game was the awesome music. Just listen in the background of that video, it just gave the whole game an epic feeling. I remember playing the cd on my protable discman and would listen to the tracks as I walked to school.

Ya, the music was truly epic for it's time, I can still enjoy it.

Edited by SideStrafe, 15 April 2012 - 11:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users