Hits Not Registering On Atlas Cockpit.

v1.0.142

9 replies to this topic

Poll: Atlas head/cockpit hit detection. (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you noticed Atlas head/cockpit/life support not taking damage reliably?

1. Yes, I have noticed that the Atlas cockpit's often not registering hits/damage. (19 votes [65.52%])

Percentage of vote: 65.52%

2. No, I have had no problem damaging the Atlas cockpit. (10 votes [34.48%])

Percentage of vote: 34.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Seravos

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

I've noticed that the hit detection on the atlas cockpit/head aren't registering very well and 90% of the time it recieves no damage, movement and standing still alike using both lasers and ballistic.

#2 Az0r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

Back in the closed beta they shrunk the hitbox on the atlas head, because it was rediculously easy to snipe and being only 18 armor compared to the 60+ on each torso it was a big vulnerability. I think only the red dot eye counts as the head hitbox, with the rest of the head counting as CT.

#3 Seravos

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

That would put it at about 1/8 to 1/6 the size of most cockpits then which is ridiculous if that's the case.

#4 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

I tested this the other day on an AFK atlas at cap.

the headbox is ridiculously tiny. Now, before, it was too big and the atlas was actually worthless due to its slowness and the headbox.

however, now the box is located slightly above the eye itself...thus giving the perception it is smaller when indeed it is tiny AND misplaced.

the hit box only just covers the eyelid on the left eye from my recent shooting tests.

#5 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

I didn't vote. As far as I can tell from my own experience and doing my best to judge my own accuracy as objectively as possible, I truly believe you can hit Atlas cockpit, IF, you hit the appropriate eye.

The entire head is not the cockpit (counter intuitive I know), but it's one of the eyes, I think the left eye (the one to your right facing the Atlas).

That's a fairly small target, but my experience also seems to indicate that it's just as hard to hit almost every other 'mechs cockpit as well.

Disclaimer:
My aim is at best average, and probably more along the lines of poor.

I hardly ever get a head shot on any 'mech.

The two facts into consideration, it probably wouldn't matter HOW BIG the cockpit area is on ANY 'mech, I'm probably going to miss it.

#6 Seravos

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

It's apparent then that they over adjusted if it's not only off center but as small as an eye, assault mech or not the cockpit should be reasonable. I don't think it needs to be the entire head but it should be somewhere that makes sense and of a comparable size.

#7 Banditman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

The Atlas isn't the problem. It's the other mechs that are the problem. Many of them are far too easy to headshot.

Headshots are supposed to be very rare. If any mech can be reliably headshot, then there needs to be an adjustment.

#8 xenoglyph

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

It seems okay to me. I can head shot an Atlas with about the same frequency I can other mechs (probably about half the time I attempt it). Rather than risk a miss and have the damage go to CT (or miss completely), I usually try to take out LT or RT first.

Edited by xenoglyph, 19 November 2012 - 09:01 AM.

#9 Josef Nader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

The Atlas is designed to be an in-your-face brawler. As such, it's head is much more protected than a lot of other mechs, as a brawler is useless if you can head-cap it easily at close range. Given the Atlas' speed disadvantage against more maneuverable mechs (read: every mech in the game), a hard-to-hit head is more of a balancing thing than anything else. Cats and Awesomes have big fat heads because they're long-range support. These chassis were not designed to be in-your-face, ergo larger head hitboxes are less of an issue. Other CQC mechs, like the Hunch and Cent, also have fairly well-protected head hitboxes (it's impossible to hit the HBK's head from one side and the Cent's helmet protects most of the head hitbox there, too). I feel like the size of the head hitbox plays a big part in the role-warfare.

#10 Seravos

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

The atlas while slow, is still fully capable of turning sharply, moving its torso quickly, and while it is a "tank" type mech it's by no means under the CQC category as it fills more of a multirole potential, often carrying variety of long range weapony such as large lasers, LRMs, gauss or AC/20. They carry heavier armor and the brute power to combat at range or up close, they can have a bit smaller cockpit or a bit more head armor but they shouldn't have a head hitbox so small and out of place that the majority of well aimed head hits register as torso hits.Give the atlas a center of the head hit box that's at least 3/8 of the head size, if that's still to weak give it a little bit more armor say, 30 instead of 18.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users