Does One Damage Point Reduce One Armor Point?

7 replies to this topic

#1 SamizdatCowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

Just for simplicity, let's assume 100 points of armor on center front torso. Again for simplicity let's ignore DPS, and assume a weapon which does 10 damage. Does that mean 10 exact hits on center torso would kill the enemy mech?

#2 nungunz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 612 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

View PostSamizdatCowboy, on 06 November 2012 - 07:44 PM, said:

Just for simplicity, let's assume 100 points of armor on center front torso. Again for simplicity let's ignore DPS, and assume a weapon which does 10 damage. Does that mean 10 exact hits on center torso would kill the enemy mech?

No, 100 damage would just strip the armor to zero. You also have to destroy the internals.

#3 SamizdatCowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

View Postnungunz, on 06 November 2012 - 11:12 PM, said:

No, 100 damage would just strip the armor to zero. You also have to destroy the internals.

Is there any documentation/data on how many damage points internals take to destroy?

#4 Crimson Dux

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 170 posts
  • LocationLisbon, PT

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

It's half the maximum value of armor possible to put on the body part. Per ex., a CT of an Awesome with 60 front +30 back armor (90 on a possible 100) will have 50 points of internals.

#5 Pando

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

So, doing 1718 damage in a single match means I took down the armor of most players on the opposing team by those calculations right?

#6 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

If I'm not mistaken once armor is removed that is also when you have a chance to crit internal components in that section. You'll notice this the most when taking or achieving hits with AC2s, LBX10s and SRM4 and SRM6s due to the nature of how they fire. Beam lasers will also crit but I don't see nearly as many as I do with the dual SRM6s on my Hhunchback.

If you crit ammo or certain weapons it can cause catastrophic damage so if you have no armor on a section of your mech where you keep your ammo try to keep it hidden from your opponent. You can also lose heat sinks to crits with can affect your heat efficiency as the fight prolongs so be aware of where you store your heat sinks and where you have taken damage. If I'm not mistaken most mechs have a display console in the cockpit that shows you your heat sinks and which are working and which are not so keep an eye on that as the fight drags on.

#7 nungunz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 612 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

View PostPando, on 07 November 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

So, doing 1718 damage in a single match means I took down the armor of most players on the opposing team by those calculations right?

Probably, yeah. Also depends on what mechs you were shooting, if mostly against assaults, that strips the armor off of 3 - 4 of them.

LRM boats (even before Artemis) usually had really high damage counts, but low kill counts. You're usually there to soften up and strip the armor off of mechs, not there for kills.

View PostRaso, on 07 November 2012 - 09:04 AM, said:

If I'm not mistaken once armor is removed that is also when you have a chance to crit internal components in that section. You'll notice this the most when taking or achieving hits with AC2s, LBX10s and SRM4 and SRM6s due to the nature of how they fire. Beam lasers will also crit but I don't see nearly as many as I do with the dual SRM6s on my Hhunchback.

Correct.

If you crit ammo or certain weapons it can cause catastrophic damage so if you have no armor on a section of your mech where you keep your ammo try to keep it hidden from your opponent. You can also lose heat sinks to crits with can affect your heat efficiency as the fight prolongs so be aware of where you store your heat sinks and where you have taken damage. If I'm not mistaken most mechs have a display console in the cockpit that shows you your heat sinks and which are working and which are not so keep an eye on that as the fight drags on.

Correct

#8 SamizdatCowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

Just a little curious where you guys got this info. I've crawled the forums and I couldn't find it.. was it in a dev IRC chat or something?

Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users