Battlemech 18 - Blackjack

440 replies to this topic

#161 MN 2fisted

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMN usa

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

Always liked this mech, well worth the BV. Looks like a killer too.

#162 Onyx Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationOklahoma, EARTH MK II

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 09 November 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

The only thing Harmony Gold would get in the way of is using the original art. Any art that PGI makes for this game is new art. Look at the Cataphract. That thing is 75% Marauder already. If that arm and those legs are fine, there is no reason they can't make an identical arm for the other side and make a new torso (hell, just strap a catapult torso on there, like I did here). The same for the Phoenix Hawk and any other "Unseen". PGI (via FD's art) have shown that they can come up with good makeovers even for the non-unseen art. The original art is the only thing in contention. Not the name, not the stats, just the original art.

Solution: DON'T USE THE ORIGINAL ART. And that's easily done. They're not even using the original art for the non-unseen in here. And honestly, PGI *can't* use any of the art from any of the books, not even the present Catalyst books. All print media rights for Battletech belong to Topps (yes, the baseball card company). So EVERYTHING (art-wise) in MWO is created exclusively for MWO anyway (likewise, everything created for MWT is exclusive to MWT also).

Even in the AMA session on Reddit, they said that the only real thing stopping them from making the "unseen" is if the stats aren't unique enough from an already existing chassis to quantify making a separate one (although I may have to suspend some disbelief there seeing as how similar the CN9 and HBK's are). For the BJ-1 and the PHX, the only difference in the chassis would be arm actuators that allow the 'mech to aim its arm weapons (and all the PHX weapons are in the arms) faster and separate from torso facing.

Well that conflicts with what Russ said in Kotaku chat the other day...

"RussBullock @AberrantOne 2 days ago Share
The Warhammer was only in the 2009 trailer which was for a different game not MWO. But the bottom line is we do not have the rights to use the Warhammer and some other "Unseen" Were adding mechs as quickly as we can."

I really wish they'd just give us a list of the unseen/re-seen mechs they do have the rights to so we could close the issue of what mechs are likely to be possible/impossible in game.

Edited by Onyx Rain, 10 November 2012 - 12:39 AM.

#163 Farmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

In theory, they should have the rights to all the names and loadouts, just not the art. I have no idea what their license looks like, though, so I don't know. But the Flea and the JagerMech are so damn close to be near as.

#164 Cpt Leprechaun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

WANTS IT :L

#165 Jmb

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:11 AM

I'm trying to recall a variant that has dual UAC-5s but I am drawing a blank. I know the original had 2 AC-2s and quartet of mediums, a 3050 variant with 2 ER-Large lasers and twin Streak-2s and another with dual PPCs and four mediums. Variants listed were BJ-1, -2, and -3 respectfully.

#166 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

Can we have future screen shot art sized to fit the desktop. My blackjack is very lonely in a sea of Microsoft blue, due to the way it is sized. I always like to put up the mech of the week as desktop background.

(Or is there a way to size an image without distortion that I am missing?)

#167 MeerKatV

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:29 AM

View PostOdanan, on 08 November 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

It is!! Now let's see the Heavies:

Bodyguard, skirmisher - Cataphract check
Scout,raider - Dragon check
Missile support - Catapult check
Long range ballistic support - JagerMech check
Brawler - Orion soon?

I would dearly love to see the Orion. It's the only one whose Hero mech I"d even consider buying. Edit : found a good model shot in an old thread. That cockpit is going to be difficult to target

https://mwomercs.com...ar/page__st__40

Edited by MeerKatV, 11 November 2012 - 05:47 AM.

#168 relic

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

Very happy to see the Blackjack,it was one of my favorites when playing MPBT:3025. I just hope the deployment of mechs starts to speed up; one a month is too long.

#169 EvangelionUnit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 776 posts
  • LocationWarframe

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

all weapons in the arms... you don't need to core it, and well, XL reactors don't hurt for this thing too

#170 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

For those who don't use to see the mega-thread of repaints, here is my Jumping Jack Flash, I mean jumping Blackjack (with fixed lasers in the side torsos).

Posted Image

EDIT: semi-final version.

Edited by Odanan, 13 November 2012 - 05:05 PM.

#171 scius

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

This will probably be my favorite mech once it releases. It can't get here soon enough!

#172 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:19 AM

View PostThontor, on 07 November 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

Good to hear... Yeah I thought you knew better than to trust the TRO art...

Speaking of TRO... The BJ-1 is supposed to have lower arm actuators as well, unless my source is wrong... Because I see the other variants do not have LA actuators...

It don't. At least not here.

#173 Herrmann van Hinden

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:19 AM

View PostSmithMPBT, on 07 November 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

Banshee 3S please!

*signed*

#174 Mongoose Trueborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 742 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

Can't wait to play with this in 1.5-2.5 years.

#175 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

Blackjack is cool, but a prefer the Jaggermech concept.

#176 Easy 8

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

View PostSquareSphere, on 07 November 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

... THIS IS SO WRONG! This is Omni mech version, the battlemech NEVER had UAC5s as default weapons! This mech breaks the time line. The omni Blackjack wasn't available until 3057, that's post Tukkayyid!

if they were going to start announcing "future" mech they should have started with Clan invasion mechs :D

I'm calling out who ever decided to include this mech at this phase!

"After the last battle, he'd finally saved up for his perfect customization. He'd been waiting for this battle with a tight anxiety, and now his palms were sweating as he was finally here, finally ready."

I think the pilot of this specific Blackjack has customized his mech with UAC/5s, not that it is the 50 ton omni. Besides, the timeline went out the window the minute the game started. Double heatsinks were reintroduced in 3030, and many lostech items were trickled back in, even though some of it was re-introduced in 3039.

#177 Xmador

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 121 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

Basically I see a medium version of the Jagermech. Many Cataphract builds currently use the 4x AC2 or double uAC5 platforms....so I see a trend to cockpit jarring ballistic fire.

#178 Spartanz157

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

No offense but the MWO Blackjack looks totally weird.

Edited by Spartanz157, 29 November 2012 - 05:54 AM.

#179 Kingdok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Locationon your six...

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:08 AM

View PostXmador, on 27 November 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

Basically I see a medium version of the Jagermech. Many Cataphract builds currently use the 4x AC2 or double uAC5 platforms....so I see a trend to cockpit jarring ballistic fire.

You say that like it's a bad thing... :D

#180 Melcyna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 674 posts
  • LocationYuri Paradise

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

View PostSpartanz157, on 29 November 2012 - 05:51 AM, said:

No offense but the MWO Blackjack looks totally weird.

Well to each their own...

still, even if i don't like FD's blackjack's design (i am impartial to it) it's MILES better than existing arts of blackjack (and certainly eons better than official BT design, which is not surprising since most of BT's original design seriously look horrible

Edited by Melcyna, 29 November 2012 - 08:10 AM.

42 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 42 guests, 0 anonymous users