Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

#22 Alex Iglesias

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 131 posts
  • LocationMech Hangar

View PostSquareSphere, on 07 November 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

... THIS IS SO WRONG! This is Omni mech version, the battlemech NEVER had UAC5s as default weapons! This mech breaks the time line. The omni Blackjack wasn't available until 3057, that's post Tukkayyid! if they were going to start announcing "future" mech they should have started with Clan invasion mechs ;) I'm calling out who ever decided to include this mech at this phase!

relax, not the omni version, fluff bit is just describing a custom job, right up there in the first sentence, yo

base version of the blackjack is still the 45 ton ac2 using one.

#23 Kaox Veed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 158 posts

Read the first line of the story.

AC2 is one ballistic slot, UAC5 is one ballistic slot. I am genius.

#24 SquareSphere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

View PostAlex Iglesias, on 07 November 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

not the omni version, fluff bit is just describing a custom job

base version of the blackjack is still the 45 ton ac2 using one.

Can i take that the UAC5 default version is a hero mech then since none of the battlemech variants included UAC5s?

I know I'm being overly critical but this small detail makes a huge difference. Having custom jobs in introduction stories is misleading since there wasn't a precedence.

A perfect example of this was that the Cicada in it's intro story had a UA5 which let the players know the 3M variant would be in game.

Edited by SquareSphere, 07 November 2012 - 11:33 AM.

#25 Daneiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 490 posts
  • LocationSheridan

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

... THIS IS SO WRONG! This is Omni mech version, the battlemech NEVER had UAC5s as default weapons! This mech breaks the time line. The omni Blackjack wasn't available until 3057, that's post Tukkayyid!

if they were going to start announcing "future" mech they should have started with Clan invasion mechs ;)

I'm calling out who ever decided to include this mech at this phase!

I am so confused when i read twin UAC5 and 4 medium lasers - that is not the BLACKJACK BATTLEMECH this is Blackjack omnimech and it will be not around for long time if PGI didnt decided to skip 8 years and they didn't told us about that !!!!!!

#26 Surtr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDropship Naglfar, Clan Front

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

... THIS IS SO WRONG! This is Omni mech version, the battlemech NEVER had UAC5s as default weapons! This mech breaks the time line. The omni Blackjack wasn't available until 3057, that's post Tukkayyid!

if they were going to start announcing "future" mech they should have started with Clan invasion mechs ;)

I'm calling out who ever decided to include this mech at this phase!

are you serious? read the first paragraph of the story....the pilot modified it, you know, kind of like WE can do in the mechlab....go home.

#27 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

... THIS IS SO WRONG! This is Omni mech version, the battlemech NEVER had UAC5s as default weapons! This mech breaks the time line. The omni Blackjack wasn't available until 3057, that's post Tukkayyid! if they were going to start announcing "future" mech they should have started with Clan invasion mechs ;) I'm calling out who ever decided to include this mech at this phase!

"...he'd finally saved up for his perfect customization."

#28 Ens

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

No ZEUS again ;(

#29 Ciel Noir

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

View Postverybad, on 07 November 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

It's NOT an Omnimech. The Draconis Combine built an omnimech verson of this (5 tons heavier IIRC) after the Clan invasion. It was mostly used as an export sales mech to other great houses during the clan invasion peace between the great houses as it was considered to be a junk base. It did better then expected (both in performance and sales)

I expect the BJ-2 will be VERY popular.

:/

My mistake... I checked the wiki and got it all wrong...

#30 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

View PostSquareSphere, on 07 November 2012 - 11:25 AM, said:

How bout you explain why it has UAC5's on it when all other intro mech stories have used default load outs. Either the writer messed up and looked up the omni version while writing the story, OR PGI messed up and introduced the wrong Blackjack

No i'm pointing out that PGI is getting sloppy.

Read the first sentence again. Key word in there is "customization." The Blackjack in this bit of fluff has been modified, likely by the inclusion of an XL engine to get the weight savings needed for a pair of Ultras. PGI covered their bases nicely.

As for the concept art, the Blackjack has never looked better. It went from it a blocky, awkward, clumsy looking beast to a sleek, sexy killing machine.

Edited by Nathan Foxbane, 07 November 2012 - 11:42 AM.

#31 verybad

• 4,229 posts

View PostSquareSphere, on 07 November 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

Can i take that the UAC5 default version is a hero mech then since none of the battlemech variants included UAC5s?

I know I'm being overly critical but this small detail makes a huge difference. Having custom jobs in introduction stories is misleading since there wasn't a precedence.

I disagree, and therefore nullify your argument!

#32 SquareSphere

• 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

View PostThontor, on 07 November 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

Where is the rule that says the story has to describe a canon variant... There is no such rule...

It clearly states its a customized mech, something we are all capable of doing in the game.

It's called literary consistency, and having the pilot having UA5s adds NOTHING to the story other to confuse players that know that the Blackjack did not ever come with UA5s.

"It clearly states its a customized mech, something we are all capable of doing in the game." like new players can do, oh wait no they can't customize trial mechs

Edited by SquareSphere, 07 November 2012 - 11:39 AM.

#33 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

Hmm, next mech should be a Heavy.

Please make an
Orion
PLEEEAASSSEEE!

View PostSquareSphere, on 07 November 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

It's called literary consistency, and having the pilot having UA5s adds NOTHING to the story other to confuse players that know that the Blackjack did not ever come with UA5s.

"It clearly states its a customized mech, something we are all capable of doing in the game." like new players can do, oh wait no they can't customize trial mechs

They can if they

"finally saved up for his perfect customization"

#34 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

I knew it would be a Blackjack, but the slight light of hope it could be a Vindy... ;)

#35 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

View PostSquareSphere, on 07 November 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

Custom jobs when introducing a 'Mech is not that uncommon in lore. The only minor mistake made by PGI is they did not specify what the modification actually was or hinting at what was done to accomplish that loadout. Not a sin by any stretch of the imagination since that would have disrupted the story flow while not adding anything of worth to the text, which is a bit of a literary no-no.

And to steer this topic back on track, anyone else loving the new cockpit design?

Edited by Nathan Foxbane, 07 November 2012 - 11:49 AM.

#36 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

Looks neat. Finally I can make a Double AC/5 Medium that isn't forced to carry them all in one hunch. Oh, well, i could use the Cicada, but it's not easy to crmap it all in, especially enough ammo.

#37 Prophet of Entropy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 319 posts
  • LocationStar Kingdom of Manticore

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

marauder... do want!

#38 SmithMPBT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 793 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

Banshee 3S please!

#39 Monsoon

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

Ahhhh yeah! Who called it? This guy, that's who! ;)

#40 LtPoncho

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 198 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

View PostBDU Havoc, on 07 November 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

The Black Jack was one of my favourite 'Mechs during the MPBT:3025 days.

Backpedal and DAKKADAKKADAKKA you could take out almost any 'Mech. Until you ran out of ammo.

Hell yes - getting the timing down to perfection as you approached the 1000m range and letting the AC2's rip on opponents Blackjack's crits was a skill. If you got it right, you're BlackJack would still be firing; his would be disabled. I can remember several drops on the Marik front where well timed AC2 shots made all the difference.

Stuff like this makes you miss the community warfare aspect.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users