Trial Mechs: Nov 7Th

9 replies to this topic

#1 arcangelS7

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

Since they've changed the Trial Mechs with the Nov 6th patch, I think it would be useful for new players to have a quick overview of them, focusing only of the stock configurations provided (no custom configuration discussions).

Commando (COM-1B)
Mass: 25t
Top Speed: 97.2kph
Armour: 128
Armament:
1 Large Laser
1 Medium Laser
1 SRM-2 w/ 1t ammo
Heat Sinks: 10 Single (Cool)
Role: Scout/Striker
Notes:
One of the two scout mechs currently available as Trial Mech, the Commando is arguably the tougher, and it needs to be. It is slower that the Cicada and has shorter ranged weapons. In fact, it has the shortest ranged weapon package of all the current Trial Mechs. But don't underestimate it: a few good hits with a large laser can strip the rear armour of even the mighty Atlas. Think "Predator" not "Rambo".

Cicada (CDA-3M)
Mass: 40t
Top Speed: 129.6kph (XL Engine)
Armour: 128
Armament:
1 Ultra Autocannon 5 w/ 1t ammo
2 Medium Lasers
1 Small Pulse Laser
Heat Sinks: 10 Double (Cool)
Role: Scout/Skirmisher
Notes:
"Speed is Life": The Cicada lives by this. Its armour is as thin as the lighter Commando, it has a huge Head hit box and it carries a fragile XL engine: A lose of any torso section will destroy the mech, not just the center torso. It uses the weight freed by the XL engine to carry an Ultra Autocannon 5, a weapon much better suited to a Sniper than a Scout. The CDA-3M will want to find a spotter/sniper nest and harrass the enemy with its UAC-5 while calling in LRM fire from the missile boats. As soon as the enemy starts shooting at you, move! Also watch out for jams with the UAC-5: It can fire during its cooldown period, but this has chance to jam the weapon until you cycle through all the weapon groups.

Catapult (CPLT-C1)
Mass: 65t
Top Speed: 64.8kph (Jump Capable)
Armour: 320
Armament:
2 LRM-15s w/ 2t ammo
4 Medium Lasers
Heat Sinks: 15 Single (Cool)
Role: Support/Missile Boat
Notes:
The CPLT-C1 is a missile boat. That pretty much it. Other than shallow ammo bins, all you need to find a good place to stand and let your missile fly. Just make sure you have a spotter to paint targets for you.

Atlas (AS7-K)
Mass: 100t
Top Speed: 48.6kph (XL Engine)
Armour: 608
Armament:
1 Guass Rifle w/ 2t ammo
1 LRM-20 w/ 2t ammo
2 ER Large Lasers
2 Medium Pulse Lasers
1 Anti-Missile System w/ 1t ammo
Heat Sinks: 20 Single (Hot)
Role: Support/Sniper
Notes:
The AS7-K has a flexible weapon package, able to fight effectly in long range combat and in short range combat in you can manage the heat.. Even though it is fully armoured, you just can't march into combat and except to win. Like the Cicada, this Atlas has an XL engine, significantly reducing its survivability. Take advantage of the range of your weapons to weaken the enemy before closing in for the kill when your ammo bins are empty.

Any other thoughts, opinions or advice?

Edit: Added Ammo and Heat Sink Numbers
Edit: Switched AS7-K to pure sniper, added heat manage notes and mentioned how to unjam the UAC5

Edited by arcangelS7, 08 November 2012 - 05:24 AM.

#2 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

Good write-up, I would definitely remind players to keep in mind just how little ammo that Catapult has for its LRMs, I think its one ton per launcher so it runs out very early if you fire them constantly carelessly. The only way to compensate for this is to only fire off your LRMs when you know the enemy isn't near tall cover, doesn't have multiple AMS's shielding them, and when you or a teammate are likely to be able to keep that target on radar for long enough. Also chain firing the LRMs may be a good idea.

#3 D0m1n4t0r

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

The Cicada is actually a Medium Mech ironically enough. It's a Medium by only 5 tons but a Medium nonetheless. and the Atlas-K is biased more towards long range with its Gauss LRM-20 and ER Large lasers. The Medium Pulse Lasers are only for fending off smaller mechs that get too close. It does not have nearly enough heatsinks, so use your lasers sparingly and it only has 2 tons of Gauss ammo.

#4 Spencley

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

The Uac/5 does not get jammed for the rest of the match. It jams untill you unjam it. You do this by simple ungrouping and Regrouping the UAC/5 in all 6 weapon numbers 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 This will then unjam the weapon and allow it to be fired again ;)

#5 Finestaut

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

I would suggest downplaying the atlas-K's flexibility. In the stock configuration, it's painfully hot at close range, and the XL engine becomes a major liability when you need to align your torso to the target. Deep down, it's a long range fire support 'mech, that happens to have solid armor and a pretty decent holdout weapon in the chest. It lacks the staying power and efficiency to be really effective in a brawl.

#6 arcangelS7

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

View PostSpencley, on 07 November 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

The Uac/5 does not get jammed for the rest of the match. It jams untill you unjam it. You do this by simple ungrouping and Regrouping the UAC/5 in all 6 weapon numbers 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 This will then unjam the weapon and allow it to be fired again ;)

Really?
No wonder I could never get it to unjam...

Edited by arcangelS7, 07 November 2012 - 12:40 PM.

#7 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

I've seen many a Trial atlas trying to brawl, with mixed results (mostly a lot of over heating)

I've used it myself a few times and find that when you chain fire your ER Large Lasers that the heat isn't terrible to manage. I do wreak at long range combat, however, so I'm not a good judge of the machine's performance.

Aside from the chance to test out the cicada none of the other trial mechs really interest me.

#8 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

I'm a little disappointed that we have two scouts and no proper brawler. You'd think that with as many weapons as the atlas carries they'd give it a configuration that allows it to handle itself at close range as well as it does long range, but as it stands it has 3 long range weapons and only 2 MPLs. Does anyone else find all those long range weapons to be a bit redundant?

#9 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

View PostGigastrike, on 07 November 2012 - 05:24 PM, said:

I'm a little disappointed that we have two scouts and no proper brawler. You'd think that with as many weapons as the atlas carries they'd give it a configuration that allows it to handle itself at close range as well as it does long range, but as it stands it has 3 long range weapons and only 2 MPLs. Does anyone else find all those long range weapons to be a bit redundant?

Last time around we had an over abundance of support mechs in the trial roster. I would of hoped they would of learned from their mistake last time. I can understand wanting to get the Cicada out there for people to try but they could of given us something better in the heavy or assault class.

#10 arcangelS7

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:30 AM

The stock AS7-D is a brawler/juggernaut. Other than its token LRM20, all of its guns are short ranged (270m), and an AC20, 4 Medium Lasers and an SRM-6 in perfect for in your face combat. Given that it lacks an XL engine, and carries maximum armour there is literally nothing tougher.
We probably got the AS7-K because of "new toy symdrone": They wanted to give the new players a chance use non-intro level technolgies. Same reason we got the CDA-3M inside of any of the CDA-2s

Edited by arcangelS7, 08 November 2012 - 05:39 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users