Heatsinks And You: What Everyone Needs To Know

3 replies to this topic

#1 El Death Smurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

i have seen a lot of numbers and angry sladerous things being said about heatsinks, and if wathing cartoons ever taught me anything its that Knowing is Half The Battle...

first i do not want to be repetively redundant here, so please refer to
http://mwomercs.com/...sink-explained/
and
http://mwomercs.com/...heat-sinks-dhs/
i will be expounding on these briefly.
i will not wast time here justifying numbers, just explaing them at present.
i do not have access to all the facts, but this shoudl be helpul if im nto mistaken.

there are 2 aspects to heat sinks that i want to address
Heat Dissapation and Heat Threshold

Most people tend to focus on Heat Dissipation
It's simple enough
1 heatsink gets .1 Heat Dissipation Per Second
1 DHS gets .14 HDPS
Shooting 1 large laser produces 7 heat, so 7 heatsinks will return a stationary mech back to 0% heat in 10 second under normal ambient heat.
In the mech lab the heat efficency bar uses only these two factors. wepon heat production and HDPS
The skill Cool Run in the Mech Tree affects this by increasing it by 7.5% the more heatsink you Have the better use you get from this skill.

Most people seem to ignore Heat Threshold
This is how much total heat you can prduce before shuting down.
I don't know the exact numbers on a standard 10heatsink mech, however here is an insight to the Heat Thresh Hold
Each Heatsink adds 1 point to the threshold.
Each DHS adds 2 points to the threshold.
The skill Heat Containment in the Mech Tree will further add to the Heat Threshold.
What this means is a mech with 18DHS will be able to take considerably more shots before shutting down than a mech with 20 heat sinks if each mech is shooting the same wepon.

please correct any mistakes i've made, and add helpful information.

#2 Amaris the Usurper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

It would be nice to know how much the Heat Containment unlock adds to the heat threshold. Also, I'm not certain how much DHS add to the threshold, but the 30+[number of HS] rule worked for SHS pre-patch. The 30+2*[number of HS] rule for DHS was a guess; I never directly tested it. I will look into these.

By my tests, Coolrun appears to work as advertised.

Finally, DHS do not appear to work as described in the Nov. 6th patch notes. At least on my AS7-D(F), heat sinks included with the engine are dissipating heat at double rate. The others are working at 1.4 times single effectiveness. See my analysis in General Discussion, located here: http://mwomercs.com/...-effectiveness/.

Edited by Amaris the Usurper, 07 November 2012 - 04:04 PM.

#3 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:42 AM

Straight from Libs\MechPilotTalents\MechEfficiencies.xml :

<Talent id="4" name="eMTBasic_HeatContainment" ranks="1" xpcost="1000" EliteBonus="2.0" MasterBonus="2.0">
<Rank id="1"> <!--  -->
<Bonus attribute="MaxHeatThreshold" value="0.1"/>

Heat Containment gives you 10% more heat threshold. Unlocking Elite increases it to 20%. Master does not increase it any further.

Libs\Items\ItemStats.xml

<Module id="3001" name="DoubleHeatSink_MkI" CType="CHeatSinkStats" DestroyedDialogue="BB_Mech_HeatSink_Destroyed">
<ModuleStats slots="3" tons="1" health="10"/>
<Loc nameTag="@DoubleHeatSink_MkI" descTag="@DoubleHeatSink_MkI_desc" iconTag="2"/>
<HeatSinkStats cooling="0.14" heatbase="-1.4"/>

So 0.14 heat dissipation and 1.4 bonus to heat threshold

Edited by Kmieciu, 08 November 2012 - 09:28 AM.

#4 Amaris the Usurper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 08 November 2012 - 03:42 AM, said:

Heat Containment gives you 10% more heat threshold. Unlocking Elite increases it to 20%. Master does not increase it any further.

Nice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users