Shooting Crippled Legs causes knockdowns

4 replies to this topic

#1 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

There's been a lot of debate on the leg limping mechanic, since damage transfer is no longer an issue; turning it into an invincible part of the 'mech seems a little on the silly side. However, I was thinking of a way to mask it: Every so many points of damage taken to the crippled leg causes a guaranteed knockdown.

This won't kill the 'mech outright and will allow it to return to the fight once it stands up, but by knocking the 'mech down you still get an edge from hammering an exposed cripple leg, avoiding turning it into an invincible shield. It might even give you shots at the 'mechs back or chest you wouldn't otherwise have, depending on how it falls.

Anyway, just a thought, but it seems like it'd be a good middle ground.

#2 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

This isn't the first time it was proposed. I support the idea just as well. Limping is just too light a penalty for having a part which would rend you a lame duck, if it was destroyed. Legs will otherwise end up as a dump stat for armor which should not be allowed.

Edited by ManDaisy, 23 May 2012 - 07:33 PM.

#3 chickenwire12

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:36 PM

or just turn invincible and after enough dmg taken to cripple both legs you are fixed in that position (instead of blowing up or limping) and basically are still screwd (but not blown up or limping)

seems logical

Edited by chickenwire12, 23 May 2012 - 07:37 PM.

#4 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:45 PM

Actually I would disagree with you there. Fall down is not the same as standing and not moving. Although immobility is a penalty, it is not as harsh as collapsing, which would ruin any target lock you had, and delay you until you could recover. What I agree with if just only one leg is destroyed, you should reap the full vulnerability being able to fall down if that destroyed leg is shot. You may limp, but being shot there should guarantee a high chance of you falling. If both legs are destroyed, not only should you fall every time your legs are hit, but also you should be immobile.

Also double armor values is an established fact now. You should now have ABSOLUTELY no excuse for having weak legs in any way even with a light mech. You get legged you deserve it and most of all, they deserve it.

Back in the day we played with being reduced to a turret stuck face down in the mud. The only way you could fight back was if someone was dumb enough to move into a place you could still aim at from whatever unlucky position you ended up. No carebear limping, you just lay there, face in the dirt.

Edited by ManDaisy, 23 May 2012 - 07:54 PM.

#5 Lycan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

View PostManDaisy, on 23 May 2012 - 07:45 PM, said:

Back in the day we played with being reduced to a turret stuck face down in the mud. The only way you could fight back was if someone was dumb enough to move into a place you could still aim at from whatever unlucky position you ended up. No carebear limping, you just lay there, face in the dirt.

This . . .

I don't know if it's because leg destruction doesn't translate well from TT to video game but I'm not sure why they can't just follow the TT rules.

They've already said that component damage is in (at least I think they did. I could be misremembering) so damage to the leg actuators would result in the slowing of your mech's speed. If the leg(s) was totally destroyed then you turn into an immobile turret.

Still in the game but only able to fight if someone wanders into your FoV. . . .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users