48 replies to this topic

#21 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

everyone picks on the steiners for the assault mechs, but they invented and field more commandos than anyone else. http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Commando

plus they love to fist pump. how can you go wrong with fist pumping at parties?

#22 Red Duck

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationHilton's Head Island, swimming in your C-Bills

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

I want to know if I'll fit in with House Steiner. I have little real knowledge of the battletech universe; what I do know is from the original mechcommander game, mechwarrior 4 and book 1 of the Blood of Kerensky series which I have just started reading, along with quite a bit of time spent on sarna. From a lore point of view, I much prefer Steiner to the likes of Davion or Liao, but from a gameplay perspective I favour the scout or support role, with light mechs being my preferred weight class (Raven specifically). I rather dislike the heavier mechs (bar the Catapult), which is kind of putting me off the "400 tonne scout lance" that the Lyran Heavy Guard do love. What does this house have to offer the likes of a scout?

Edited by Red Duck, 22 May 2012 - 12:44 PM.

#23 Zelyoniy

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 82 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:18 AM

4 Atlases as recon lance - just a joke, envious joke ;)
So there is lots of light mecs, that Lyran forces uses.. But prefer more firepower.

As lyran scout you can be sure, that if you spot someone, he will get many heavy gifts from your friends :blink:

Edited by Zelyoniy, 23 May 2012 - 06:22 AM.

#24 Johan Karl Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 174 posts
  • LocationSkye Federation - Summer

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:23 AM

Me thinks if you have to ask the question...

#25 McGruff

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 79 posts
  • LocationTerra, 52-23 N 13-24 E

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

View PostRed Duck, on 22 May 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

I want to know if I'll fit in with House Steiner. I have little real knowledge of the battletech universe; what I do know is from the original mechcommander game, mechwarrior 4 and book 1 of the Blood of Kerensky series which I have just started reading, along with quite a bit of time spent on sarna. From a lore point of view, I much prefer Steiner to the likes of Davion or Liao, but from a gameplay perspective I favour the scout or support role, with light mechs being my preferred weight class (Raven specifically). I rather dislike the heavier mechs (bar the Catapult), which is kind of putting me off the "400 tonne scout lance" that the Lyran Heavy Guard do love. What does this house have to offer the likes of a scout?

Just because we (Steiner) like big mechs does not mean we do not need scouts :). Definetly if you consider a larger setup >4v4 I personally would always take at least one scout into a company. So I believe you could be still right at home with Steiner.

Regards
McGruff

#26 Delerrith

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

So I was personally drawn to House Steiner due to cannonical story mostly, Over reading through the forums here I've seen many a good joke, and snarky comment. This is a house that seems to know when to take itself serriously, and when not to. Though I do see myself possibly butting heads with some of the 'social officers' from time to time, I'm officially throwing my suppourt to House Steiner.

#27 Gattling Fenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 589 posts
  • LocationOverheating in front of a Timberwolf

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:00 PM

If you are having trouble trying to decide whether or not to join House Steiner for some ridiculous reason, first ask yourself these two questions.

Do I like being awesome? Yes: Join House Steiner No: Join House Davion

Do I like winning? Yes: Join House Steiner No: Join House Steiner

Edited by Gattling Fenn, 26 May 2012 - 11:02 PM.

#28 Punisher79

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

I am tempted to run with a Light Class mech, with speed and as many Small Lasers as I can safely carry. My philosophy is sting 'em when they ain't lookin. ;)

Of course, the recon aspect ensures my Heavy or Assault class friends can "blot out the sun" with their LRM.

I'll probably get smoked by some Heavy whilst trying some flanking manuver.... lol

Oh.
Looking for Lancemates. :D

#29 schooly

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationAntelope, CA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

House Steiner it has to be for me. I played the game Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception back on my Commodore 64 probably before a lot of you were born and all I can remember about the factions was being part of the Lyran Commonwealth. And those dirty Draconis ******** attacking the Citadel and wrecking my training. Can't wait to get those guys in my corsshairs....

In that game, I loved taking a light mech like a Locust and beefing it up with extra armor and weapons and just stomping around killing everything I could find. The extra speed of the scout role appeals to me. On the flip-side, I do enjoy the extra armor and firepower afforded by the heavy and assault class mechs. I can be a scout or I can be artillery. I will fill whatever role I am assigned. I am ready to sacrifice myself in a suicide attack at any time if it helps the team.

My only request is to be assigned to the Crescent Hawks, should that unit exist, in the House Steiner, Lyran Commonwealth.

I stand ready to carry out my orders.

#30 Randalf Yorgen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

one thing to remember about the Lyran Commonwealth, if you are going for Cannon, many of their officers either bought their rank or daddy bought it for them as an "At a boy" reward. Hauptman Generals are not always what they are cracked up to be. Before you try to blast me into oblivion, I was playing the table top version of MechWarrior combined with Battletech back in 1993 and still have most of the House books (not field mannuals, although I have them as well) as well as most of the novels (original and darkage) Battlefront leadership has always been the achillies heal for the Lyrans. When fighting the Davions, kill the command mech, when fighting Liao, kill the hot shot, Steiner, disrupt the supplies so the commander doesn't have his wine and cake, after a week he will agree to any terms where he is set free and allowed to have his goodies back, even if it leaves him dispossesed and his unit in cells.

#31 Starne

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

View PostRandalf Yorgen, on 29 May 2012 - 06:59 PM, said:

one thing to remember about the Lyran Commonwealth, if you are going for Cannon, many of their officers either bought their rank or daddy bought it for them as an "At a boy" reward. Hauptman Generals are not always what they are cracked up to be. Before you try to blast me into oblivion, I was playing the table top version of MechWarrior combined with Battletech back in 1993 and still have most of the House books (not field mannuals, although I have them as well) as well as most of the novels (original and darkage) Battlefront leadership has always been the achillies heal for the Lyrans. When fighting the Davions, kill the command mech, when fighting Liao, kill the hot shot, Steiner, disrupt the supplies so the commander doesn't have his wine and cake, after a week he will agree to any terms where he is set free and allowed to have his goodies back, even if it leaves him dispossesed and his unit in cells.

Don't forget that every single Kuritan is a mass-murdering maniac that kills civilians by the hundreds at the drop of hat. "Honor" indeed.

Remember kids: House Kurita and the Draconis Combine, committing mass murder since before the fall of the Star League.

Dirty stereotypes sure suck, don't they?

#32 Shadowmetroid

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

Joined House Steiner after reading this thread. Many thanks! B)

Lookin' forward to some good times. :P

#33 Chuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 220 posts
  • LocationKelestra City, Furillo, Grand Duchy of Furillo

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

View PostRandalf Yorgen, on 29 May 2012 - 06:59 PM, said:

This really depends on the time frame. Katrina Steiner made quite a dent in it, though her daughter and granddaughter ended up undoing most of that. Archon Peter and his successors seem to have had decent success with a solid officer corps. Well-connected and incompetent officers get shuffled out of the top units and into desk jobs or garrison units on cadre duty or whatever.

Basically, if you think that's gonna work on a Paul Zardetto or a Quitman Brown you're in for some trouble.

#34 ChaosInside

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:59 PM

I have only a little experience with the 'Mech line of games, I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of my console experiences. I have taken up reading through lore and loadouts on Sarna, as well as several posts on the MW:O forums. My goal has been to try to figure out where my friends (also relatively green to all things 'Mech) and I should align ourselves. Even as the Commanding Officer for DnDI, I can't speak for my entire outfit at this time, but personally, I like almost everything that is House Steiner. My one qualm would be in the lore I've read up in regards to a lot of the higher ranks being given to people with money, and not necessarily the know-how.

I would say my Merc Corp would [pending a vote] gladly take up arms for Steiner, but I don't think our personalities would get along with all the "brass" that were handed their rank, instead of earning it. We're definitely of the 'death before dishonor' mindset, albeit maybe not very orthodox in our methods!

Would there be a place in House Steiner for a dedicated Merc Corp like DnDI?

#35 YeOldMechPilot

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationBronx, New York

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

I actually chose House Steiner because of the name.

#36 Leonidas Rommel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 137 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationFar side of your moon

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

I joined House Stiener because of the rich history behind it. It reminds me so much of 17th century europe. Also, it was the house I played in when I played table tops.

Chaosinside, I joined a House Steiner group called the Skye Rangers. They have begun to organize in favor of the MWO startup later in the month. If you like, I would suggest heading there, just do a google search and youll find it fine. I find this group to be very rewarding experience and an advantage in training and organization for when we finally do start blasing House Davion back into the stone ages.

Chaosinside, Skye Rangers has a dedicated army group as part of our forces just for Mercs. We already have a few in that division.

#37 Paul Stern

• PipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:29 PM

View PostChaosInside, on 29 May 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

I have only a little experience with the 'Mech line of games, I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of my console experiences. I have taken up reading through lore and loadouts on Sarna, as well as several posts on the MW:O forums. My goal has been to try to figure out where my friends (also relatively green to all things 'Mech) and I should align ourselves. Even as the Commanding Officer for DnDI, I can't speak for my entire outfit at this time, but personally, I like almost everything that is House Steiner. My one qualm would be in the lore I've read up in regards to a lot of the higher ranks being given to people with money, and not necessarily the know-how.

I would say my Merc Corp would [pending a vote] gladly take up arms for Steiner, but I don't think our personalities would get along with all the "brass" that were handed their rank, instead of earning it. We're definitely of the 'death before dishonor' mindset, albeit maybe not very orthodox in our methods!

Would there be a place in House Steiner for a dedicated Merc Corp like DnDI?

yes, there is a place for you!

house steiner maintains a professional relationship to mercenary-corporations. different from other houses or factions the lc treat mercanarys like partners you make business with and do not see mercenarys as potential triators!
it is enshrined in law called the "Mercenary Troops Liaison".

Mercenary Troops Liaison

This department has the responsibility of coordinating the mercenary units hired by the house. It acts as the paymaster for the units and, if the contract calls for it, provides supplies and materiel. The officers of this department tries to ensure that mercenary units are treated with the same respect as the regular army troops. The department consists of many diplomats and negotiators who work to improve the Commonwealth's relationships with the units it employs.

http://www.sarna.net..._Troops_Liaison

for a more detailed description take a look in the house steiner book in the section "Mercenary Troops Liaison".

this institution guaranteed, that mercanarys are same treated like lyran troops and represent their rights in the lyran military and court.

this fact and of course the nice paychecks :) explains why for house steiner are fighting by far more mercenarys than for other houses/factions.

#38 Malcous

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:44 AM

I've Merc'd and enjoyed scrapping in the older games, and being that i love 100 tons punching power and of course my Atlas i'd have to say Steiner is for me.

#39 xfreewater

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:20 PM

View PostGucky, on 11 May 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

If you need to feel different -> House Kurita
If you need death before dishonor -> House Steiner

Kurita was always the Asian honor samarai style death before dishonor to me. Davion and Steiner were always a toss up in pre-clan as equally you had to deal with politics - but from a merc point of view they were the more reliable contracts. I got less into the Clan canon as there were too many changes to suit my play, not to say their tech wasn't fun.

#40 MechRaccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 312 posts
  • LocationIn a dumpster. A walking, nuclear powered, space dumpster with lasers on it.

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

I know Steiners and others will probably hate me for this: but here are my perspectives on the factions:

Steiner: Snot-nosed rich kids of the galaxy who win with their wallet, (like in a badly designed F2P gaem. I am also biased against them, as you can tell) also not very trustworthy. I'm looking at you, MW4 Vengeance and MechCommander 2!

Davion: Uses good tactics to win their battles! Also rather big on personal freedom

Kurita: SAMURAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII! + Klingons with mechs

Liao: Retarded Chinese police state that makes nice mechs. (biased against these too)

Marik: Democracy. Cool story bro! Don't know much else.

In a nutshell, I don't like Steiner that much. At least they aren't a badly-run communist police state. God I hate those! BUT, if you want to join them, go ahead. More target practice for me! *charges Blazer Laser Rifle*

Posted Image

Edited by MechRaccoon, 30 May 2012 - 01:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users