How Do You Aim Srms?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Icebound

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

I mainly pilot a Jenner and have been using streaks on it for quite some time because I am just an awful shot with regular SRMs, but since streaks will often fly off in a random direction, I figure I might as well learn to use regular SRMs.

If I stop to take a shot I seem to have better luck, even better if the enemy isn't moving. But the biggest problem is that my Jenner moves at almost 150km/h, if I try to take a shot at any target that isn't directly ahead of me, they seem to veer too far left or right and miss completely.

I'm guessing this has something to do with trying to lead shots with the broken weapon convergence issue where your weapons converge at what you're aiming at as opposed to what you're targeting but either way are there any pilots that have figured out a technique to regularly hit small moving targets with SRMs?

#2 KageKaze

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

While I can't confirm, not having a mech that moves that fast, you might be experiencing inertial inheritance. Bascially the weapon you fire will continue to move in the same direction you are while also moving forward along their own path.

So let's say you're moving in on a mech. You're going to run past it on the left side of it. You should probably aim slightly to the right of the mech and fire early so the missiles will continue to move along the path you are (to the left) as well as forward.

SRMs fly fairly straight (minus the spread and all) so once you get used to how fast you move and how much it can affect your weapon, you should be set.

Now I could be just blowing smoke as I, again, haven't confirmed this game has this system, but I have played in games that do. Specifically the Tribes series does this. If you're moving fast, so are your shots. If you aim directly at what you want to hit, you'll miss. you have to compensate for your own speed and direction.

#3 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

You do need to lead SRMs. Combined with the delay in firing feed back it can be doubly tricky but it is a very rewarding weapon!

My advice would be as follows:
  • Always check your shots are lined up right. You need to lead.
  • Fire on mechs you're moving parallel with. They are easier to aim this way.
  • Fire on mechs that are coming at you head on. They are much easier to hit.
  • Go for rear armor hits whenever you can. They eat rear armor for breakfast.
  • SRM4s and SRM6s are great crit seekers. If you see exposed internals on an enemy mech give it a taste of your missile shotgun!
  • Be careful firing into crazy brawls with friendlies. The delay compounded with all the twisting and turning and mech dancing means it it HIGHLY possible you will hit a friendly target.
  • Be liberal with the application of your SRMs. They don't generate a lot of heat and they deal a lot of damage. With the Artemis system 2 tons can cost about 30k to rearm. The up side to this is that weather you fire off 25% of your ammo or 100% of your ammo you only have to pay for 25% of your ammo. That means if you die or the mission ends and you have ammo left that's money you didn't earn! And at 24-ish damage for a volley of 2 SRM6s that comes out to be a nice chunk of cash. This means it is not financially sound to hoard your ammo. Fire when ever you can.

#4 Icebound

• Elite Founder
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for the tips guys, I feel like I'm starting to improve already :)

I really appreciate the help.

#5 Supercakers

• PipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

View PostRaso, on 08 November 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

You do need to lead SRMs. Combined with the delay in firing feed back it can be doubly tricky but it is a very rewarding weapon!

My advice would be as follows:
  • Always check your shots are lined up right. You need to lead.
  • Fire on mechs you're moving parallel with. They are easier to aim this way.
  • Fire on mechs that are coming at you head on. They are much easier to hit.
  • Go for rear armor hits whenever you can. They eat rear armor for breakfast.
  • SRM4s and SRM6s are great crit seekers. If you see exposed internals on an enemy mech give it a taste of your missile shotgun!
  • Be careful firing into crazy brawls with friendlies. The delay compounded with all the twisting and turning and mech dancing means it it HIGHLY possible you will hit a friendly target.
  • Be liberal with the application of your SRMs. They don't generate a lot of heat and they deal a lot of damage. With the Artemis system 2 tons can cost about 30k to rearm. The up side to this is that weather you fire off 25% of your ammo or 100% of your ammo you only have to pay for 25% of your ammo. That means if you die or the mission ends and you have ammo left that's money you didn't earn! And at 24-ish damage for a volley of 2 SRM6s that comes out to be a nice chunk of cash. This means it is not financially sound to hoard your ammo. Fire when ever you can.

Actually, SRM's get a bonus to damage because of their short range. About 2.5dmg per missile, so dual srm6's will do 30 points of damage (unless it's been changed.) Just watch your firepower info as you swap different srm sizes in/out.

#6 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

View PostKageKaze, on 08 November 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

While I can't confirm, not having a mech that moves that fast, you might be experiencing inertial inheritance.

Me can confirm that MWO indeed does has the inertial inheritance.
Me speak from weeks of experience with the gauss rifle.

#7 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:34 AM

Put 2xSRM4 ona Jenner.
Don`t get into circle fights.
Sneak behind someone`s back.
Fire the SRMs.
Boom!
20 points of point blank damage!

#8 Icebound

• Elite Founder
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:56 AM

View PostMagicHamsta, on 08 November 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

Me can confirm that MWO indeed does has the inertial inheritance.
Me speak from weeks of experience with the gauss rifle.

Definitely true, now that I have it figured out it's become MUCH easier to lead my shots.

#9 Gallatin

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

I don't think SRMs ever converge, even on stationary targets directly in front of you. If there's any notable distance between you and your target, some of the missiles will go astray. For instance, I've noticed that if I'm firing much more than 90m, some of my missiles will hit the ground, which seems really silly. I get a swarming pattern, but given the range of the missiles, they shouldn't smack into the ground at 90m out.

As mentioned above, they seem to work best as a shotgun near point-blank range.

Edited by Gallatin, 09 November 2012 - 08:03 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users