4 replies to this topic

#1 MouseNo4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 630 posts
  • LocationVictoria Australia

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

I am curious as to why PGI decided to go with the ''death timer'' for their out of bounds areas, instead of the tried and true ''invisible wall'' that most mmo's, fps games and such use.

Allowing weapons fire to penetrate the wall is normal, but having the wall prevent any player controlled mech from breaching it. If the reduction in playable area is the reason, then simply extend the invisible wall to the maximum distance the quickest mech could reach with the highest engine along with speed talents.

#2 Cannibal Cat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

Agreed. Most games have a physical barrier that prevents you from going out of bounds (such as impassible cliffs, mountains too steep to climb, waters too deep to walk through, et. al.)

I would suggest either remove the out of bounds alert altogether and readjust the maps to present impassible physical barriers, or else give the out of bounds mech the option of "retreating" or "surrendering", or automatically retreating/surrendering after the countdown in the worst case scenario, adding that information to the "out of bounds warning" (ie: 'Out of bounds, if you do not return to the battle area in 10 seconds, you will forfeit. 10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1...You have forfeited the match.')

#3 MagicM0E

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

It's fine as it is. When you get close the the edge, be carefull. If you step out side 'the line' you get 10 seconds to correct your mistake.

Simples! ^_^

#4 Booran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

Yeah, it's not hard to understand the concept. Only gripe I have with the timer is when I get stuck on poorly designed geometry... although I seldom get close to OOB-borders in the first place.

#5 Gregore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

It was worse when knock down was in play, knock a mech over in OOB and he was dead, no chance.

The border is not always clear. I have gone OOB before and the timer came up, so I inched in until the timer went away (on river city map) but the countdown did not actually stop and a few seconds later BOOM Gregore has killed Gregore. bah.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users