Visitable Galaxy for MWO?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Legion112

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:19 AM

Is it possible to make a visitable galaxy (jumpships move you around)with the possibility of landing on every planet or asteroid?

#2 Volturnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 294 posts
  • LocationInternational Waters

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:12 AM

That seems highly unlikely, there are thousands of planets in the Inner Sphere. At this point I'd guess that we'll just have a relatively small number of planets/systems that we can fight over.

#3 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:35 AM

and jumpship travel will not be like BT, where it takes you a week to go land on a planet and play :rolleyes: I do not think they would make much money if everyone had to wait a week to play.

#4 Naughtyboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:16 AM

what?!?! do not travel between planets take weeks/month? and me was hoping for some reality :rolleyes:

i agree what would the fun go if we sat idle for 3 weeks to get transported from A to B?

but i hope we can get some graphics of the planets we will be able to travel to and fight on in some kind of encyklopedia .

#5 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

You can't "visit" planets on your spaceship. You won't have a personal spaceship per se. You can't explore planets. There are no planets really, just in-game maps for our 12v12 matches. The "planets" on the galaxy-map are there to lend some epicness to the metagame and give us an excuse to fight over something. With so many planets on the galaxy-map, many will share the same in-game map to represent it once in the match.

Edited by =Outlaw=, 20 April 2012 - 08:09 AM.

#6 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

View PostLegion112, on 20 April 2012 - 02:19 AM, said:

Is it possible to make a visitable galaxy (jumpships move you around)with the possibility of landing on every planet or asteroid?

Even it the FTL Jumpships available to Battletech, it would take you several centuries to travel the width of the Milky Way Galaxy.

#7 Johannes Falkner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 442 posts
  • LocationZiliang

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

View Postverybad, on 20 April 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

Even it the FTL Jumpships available to Battletech, it would take you several centuries to travel the width of the Milky Way Galaxy.

Could you imagine the Visa requirements, vaccination lists, environmental training.... (30 minutes of list)
....needed to visit even a significant portion of the Inner Sphere?

#8 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

View Post=Outlaw=, on 20 April 2012 - 08:07 AM, said:

You can't "visit" planets on your spaceship. You won't have a personal spaceship per se. You can't explore planets. There are no planets really, just in-game maps for our 12v12 matches. The "planets" on the galaxy-map are there to lend some epicness to the metagame and give us an excuse to fight over something. With so many planets on the galaxy-map, many will share the same in-game map to represent it once in the match.

I think he might be thinking something more along the lines of MechWarrior 1, where jumping around advanced the clock and you had to pick up contracts/parts from the planet you happen to be on, with very different contracts being offered closer to faction borders and such and part availability becoming more scarce from central worlds.

It was pretty neat and I'd love to see it back in a single player MechWarrior experience, but yeah - Outlaw is totally right how I suspect MWO will play out.

View Postverybad, on 20 April 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

I think he just means in the InnerSphere, which is only a few months to get from one side to the other via a single ship. (There have been times in the fiction they've used jump relays to speed the process way up, where a charged jumpship is waiting at each destination point to instantly make the next jump - but that's only been broken out in emergencies and possibly for extreme transit situations, like visiting heads of state).

Edited by Victor Morson, 20 April 2012 - 04:40 PM.

#9 RedDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 20 April 2012 - 04:35 AM, said:

and jumpship travel will not be like BT, where it takes you a week to go land on a planet and play :rolleyes: I do not think they would make much money if everyone had to wait a week to play.

Well, technically speaking, if we're to use the same time-line as the BTU, then jumpships would have to move the same as in BT :(
But we have no infos on how planets will get captured, so it's just speculating. If a planet is won with one representing fight, then there will have to be a lot planetary assaults to keep the players busy. If the battle for a planet stretches for days or weeks with lots of different fights, then longer travel times could be realised.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users