6 replies to this topic

#1 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

I would like to suggest a slight change to how Jump Jets work. After letting off of them there is little to no momentum to continue gaining altitude. I would like to see this changed so that you have about 10-12 meters of altitude gain for lights, 8-10 meters for mediums, 6-8 meters for heavies, and 4-6 for assaults. It's not much, but it does feel strange that immediately after letting off the JJ's you drop like a rock instead of having some upward momentum.

#2 ExtremeA79

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

People are sexually harassing you on MWO?
Weird...

#3 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

View PostDarren Tyler, on 04 June 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

People are sexually harassing you on MWO?
Weird...

Yes, my wife has been, now back on subject!

#4 Rabid Dutchman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 196 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

View PostWerewolf486, on 04 June 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

I would like to suggest a slight change to how Jump Jets work. After letting off of them there is little to no momentum to continue gaining altitude. I would like to see this changed so that you have about 10-12 meters of altitude gain for lights, 8-10 meters for mediums, 6-8 meters for heavies, and 4-6 for assaults. It's not much, but it does feel strange that immediately after letting off the JJ's you drop like a rock instead of having some upward momentum.

Mechs have the aerodynamics of a brick. This means they aren't going to go sailing along after letting off the thrust (maybe on low gravity maps, but that's a different topic), but will instead come right back down.

#5 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

View PostRabid Dutchman, on 04 June 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

Mechs have the aerodynamics of a brick. This means they aren't going to go sailing along after letting off the thrust (maybe on low gravity maps, but that's a different topic), but will instead come right back down.

If you launch a freight train straight up with rockets the train will continue upwards after the rockets expire, not much, but some. In MWO once you let off JJ's in a Treb you don't, you drop like your brick. Physics...

#6 Rabid Dutchman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 196 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

View PostWerewolf486, on 05 June 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

If you launch a freight train straight up with rockets the train will continue upwards after the rockets expire, not much, but some. In MWO once you let off JJ's in a Treb you don't, you drop like your brick. Physics...

Yes, it's momentum will continue it's trajectory... briefly. A Mech isn't aerodynamic, which means that its very design is fighting against getting it airborne in the form of drag.

So I will admit that the Mech would continue on momentarily, but not for 12 meters like you were suggesting. Mechs have absolutely no gliding characteristics. If you launch in an arc you'll continue (roughly) along that arc, but if you launch straight up you're not going to bob up for another 30 feet after killing your engines.

#7 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

View PostRabid Dutchman, on 05 June 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

Yes, it's momentum will continue it's trajectory... briefly. A Mech isn't aerodynamic, which means that its very design is fighting against getting it airborne in the form of drag.

So I will admit that the Mech would continue on momentarily, but not for 12 meters like you were suggesting. Mechs have absolutely no gliding characteristics. If you launch in an arc you'll continue (roughly) along that arc, but if you launch straight up you're not going to bob up for another 30 feet after killing your engines.

The distance was an example as I was just pulling numbers, like the Devs would use my numbers as rule. Currently it's the instant you let off you descend which is not right. You should have some upward momentum after letting off the JJ's and it should be proportionate to the weight of the mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users