Razer Hydra - the best controller for the Mech EVER.

115 replies to this topic

#41 Grendel408

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

Yeah... no thanks... I'll stick with my current accessories :P

Posted Image

Posted Image
Tried and tested in MW4:Mercs... Battlefield3, and HAWX... good customization and control, adjustable and comfortable... never liked the Wii and I won't like your Hydra controller... too "console" for my taste.

#42 Scar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostHelmer, on 25 April 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

Very cool periphery , but aiming with my thumbs? No thanks. There's a reason I never used my consoles for anything other than Netflix. Cheers.

LOL. Man, you didn't understand the main idea of the Hydra - it's a MOTION controller, so you don't need to aim with the thumbsticks. You're aiming with the MOTIONS of your hands, like in Wii or PS3 motion controllers. Thumbsticks are just an auxiliary controls, which are mostly using as a hat switches. :P

#43 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

View PostScar, on 25 April 2012 - 11:54 AM, said:

LOL. Man, you didn't understand the main idea of the Hydra - it's a MOTION controller, so you don't need to aim with the thumbsticks. You're aiming with the MOTIONS of your hands, like in Wii or PS3 motion controllers. Thumbsticks are just an auxiliary controls, which are mostly using as a hat switches. :P

Thanks for the clarification . No need for the sarcasm.

Very cool controller.

Cheers.

#44 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

View PostGrendel408, on 25 April 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

Yeah... no thanks... I'll stick with my current accessories :P

Tried and tested in MW4:Mercs... Battlefield3, and HAWX... good customization and control, adjustable and comfortable... never liked the Wii and I won't like your Hydra controller... too "console" for my taste.

Nah, beating the stupid bots it's not the same what you'll face in the MWO. Want a duel in MWLL?Posted Image

Edited by Scar, 25 April 2012 - 12:04 PM.

#45 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 25 April 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

Can you split it in half? I'd love it for movement, but aiming with a joystick makes me want to scream with rage.

Yes, Garth - you can. :P

#46 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

View PostScar, on 25 April 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

Nah, beating the stupid bots it's not the same what you'll face in the MWO. Want a duel in MWLL?Posted Image

Don't play MWLL... and those "stupid bots" are so stupid on Elite in Solaris :P You get your mix of custom and standard loadouts on 'Mechs there so it's as close to MWO as I'm getting for now... btw... "posted image" FAIL ;)

notice sarcasm... Elite makes things a helluva lot harder than your Beginner level modes...

Edited by Grendel408, 25 April 2012 - 12:16 PM.

#47 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

Yes, they are stupid - like any other bots, in any other game.

#48 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

View PostScar, on 25 April 2012 - 12:17 PM, said:

Yes, they are stupid - like any other bots, in any other game.

On elite mode? Seriously, it proves a challenge and it's not at all easy either. The only thing stupid in MW4 series was your lance mates and having to constantly micro-manage your orders to them. That's stupid bots like any other game :P

#49 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

My failed image will be the last of your problems, when you'll face in MWO the pilots, who was brought up in the true PvP - be ready to learn the difference though the pain and huge bills for repair. :P

Edited by Scar, 25 April 2012 - 12:45 PM.

#50 pesco

• 1,008 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

View PostScar, on 25 April 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

Yes, you can - with the help of PPJoy and DirectInput emulator you even can make one of the Hydra controllers working as mouse, and other(or even part of it) as joystick. Any buttons, any axes - in any combination, even if you want to make part of the axes/buttons on the same controller working as mouse/keyboard and the others as joystick axes/buttons.

Hm, so without PPJoy and that emulator, it presents itself only as a mouse and keyboard? Bit of a bummer, extra fiddling with hacky driver emulator thingies sounds medium cool...

#51 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

View PostScar, on 25 April 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

My failed image will be the last of your problems, when you'll face in MWO the pilots, who was brought up in the true PvP - be ready to learn the difference though the pain and huge bills for repair. :rolleyes:
While we wait, take a few lessons in grammar and proper sentence structure. :angry: You obviously failed to read my signature... just because I don't play MW4 online with others, or MWLL doesn't mean I'm some noob you can intimidate dude. Looking forward to finding you on the battlefield when MWO is released ^_^

Better yet, consider me a noob... that will make me immensely happy beyond belief :angry:

Edited by Grendel408, 25 April 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#52 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

View Postpesco, on 25 April 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

Hm, so without PPJoy and that emulator, it presents itself only as a mouse and keyboard? Bit of a bummer, extra fiddling with hacky driver emulator thingies sounds medium cool...

May be you're right, but since i don't have the problems with them - i'm pretty happy with how it is. Finally, it's incredible controller even in its native mode. :rolleyes:

BTW, interesting idea you brought me - tested it for the last two hours, except the horrible MWLL mapper and some issues with sensitivity and center adjustments for axes - it's working pretty well and now i can, virtually, dance between the enemies and obstacles.

Thank you.

Edited by Scar, 25 April 2012 - 01:44 PM.

#53 Cochise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 642 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

Hey Scar, see you on the MWLL from time to time and you do some damage with your setup. I think this would be really cool so I'm going to try it out. Thanks for the heads up!

#54 Chuckie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationHell if I don't change my ways

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 25 April 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

Can you split it in half? I'd love it for movement, but aiming with a joystick makes me want to scream with rage.

Someone didnt watch the video..

View PostBloodshed Romance, on 25 April 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

http://sixense.com/f...8pre-request%29

already posted the request for this on the Sixense website... I really hope they can implement the Hydra in to MWO very well..
it would be AMAZING if they got DIRECT INTEGRATION with MWO as they did for Portal 2 and for Team Fortress 2..

OH to dream.. That said it shouldn't be hard since I heard they are going to have a setup for Crysis3

Edited by Chuckie, 25 April 2012 - 04:46 PM.

#55 pesco

• 1,008 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

Oops. I think I just ordered one.

:rolleyes: Will report back how I like it.

#56 Charles Martel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationQuentin. Wish you were here Hanse?

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

View PostScar, on 25 April 2012 - 01:34 AM, said:

You mean 'Warhammer B'? Posted Image Yeah, this is a great mid-range heavy - not canonical, but still great.

Yes it is. Though I've been loving the Uziel "iPoke". It actually works better than the Hollander A due to a much higher rate of fire. Though it's hard to beat the Hollander B for a medium that is a existential threat to a heavy or assault.

Edited by Charles Martel, 25 April 2012 - 10:30 PM.

#57 LordDeathStrike

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

so hydra and track IR are just primitive seperate versions of kinect (kinect tracks your entire body, and takes voice commands)

#58 Chuckie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationHell if I don't change my ways

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:42 AM

View PostLordDeathStrike, on 25 April 2012 - 10:55 PM, said:

so hydra and track IR are just primitive seperate versions of kinect (kinect tracks your entire body, and takes voice commands)

Yes and no..

From what I understand

TrackIR is a simplified Kinect (No voice)

The Hydras is like you took half a game pad, made it more ergonomically friendly, stuck more controls on it, then gave it Wii motion sensors. Also instead of simple motion detection, you can use motion to also provide input.

So while similar.. also completely different.. as the Hydra and TrackIR are more for someone setting down in front of a PC.

While Kinect and Wii are for someone standing up in front of a big screen.

I envision this

TrackIR centered on the middle monitor. To track head in cockpit, You look into the left monition you torso twist left and look left and vice versa. Look move head up to see up and down down.. It controls your torso and head.

Left and Right Hydra control the arm and independent weapon recticles for the left and right arms if you have weapons on them .

Left thumb controls throttle, and steering the mech left and right

Right thumb controls torso targeting

Left trigger targets recticle, Left shoulder cycles target

Right trigger fires weapon, Right shoulder cycles weapon selection

Buttons on left control commands, coolant, map, etc..
Buttons on right could fire individual weapons

Now with the hydra you could flick the left controller up for jump jets

With the right you could flick the controller to initiate zoom ( forward and back on right controller controls level of zoom = forward to zoom in )

The options are endless.

#59 pesco

• 1,008 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:30 AM

View PostLordDeathStrike, on 25 April 2012 - 10:55 PM, said:

Do your homework. Judging from Scar's remarks on the Hydra and my own experience with TrackIR:

The Hydra tracks only your hands but has vastly better resolution and response time than a Kinect could provide. Also buttons. Totally different use case, allowing a totally different technology, yielding much better results.

TrackIR is a simpler and more robust solution technologically for tracking the head (and was developed much prior to Kinect). I wasn't sure how accurately the latter could track the *orientation* of your head rather than its position. To get an idea I did a quick search on YouTube. There are multiple videos showcasing "head tracking". Notice how they move the head only laterally. They don't rotate and tilt but shift left and right. That's not what we are interested in! Then there is this video on "head pose" which does what we want. It's a very recent academic work (Master's Thesis) on the subject. Note the gauges are quite jittery.

#60 Cochise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 642 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:05 AM

View PostCharles Martel, on 25 April 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

Yes it is. Though I've been loving the Uziel "iPoke". It actually works better than the Hollander A due to a much higher rate of fire. Though it's hard to beat the Hollander B for a medium that is a existential threat to a heavy or assault.

You scared me. For a very brief moment I thought you were going to say that you actually 'Liked' the Hollander.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users