Question About Mechanics.

3 replies to this topic

#1 BoomDog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

What is fundamentally different between MWO and the tabletop version.

I've kinda pieced a few things together, but information on specifics has been crazy hard to find.

From what I've "heard", they doubled the armor and doubled the fire rate of weapons. So does this mean that when my mech says it has 20 armor on it's center torso, it really has 40?

I also know that LRMs do somewhere between 1.5 and 1.7 damage per missile.

Is there a place where I can find this information? I'm sick of doing forum and google searches, reading for literally hours, and not finding what I'm looking for.

#2 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

Go to the "guides" section of the forum, and look for Ohmwrecker's mech guide. It'll give you the stats and weapon hardpoints for the mechs.

They did double armor, but the doubled the values - i.e. a head maxes at 18.
Rate of fire varies - check Ohmwrecker's guide for specifics

Heat is a bit out of whack. Due to the faster rate of fire, it takes more heat sinks to keep things cool. Don't think that TT values will apply.

#3 BoomDog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

View PostBuckminster, on 09 November 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

Go to the "guides" section of the forum, and look for Ohmwrecker's mech guide. It'll give you the stats and weapon hardpoints for the mechs.

They did double armor, but the doubled the values - i.e. a head maxes at 18.
Rate of fire varies - check Ohmwrecker's guide for specifics

Heat is a bit out of whack. Due to the faster rate of fire, it takes more heat sinks to keep things cool. Don't think that TT values will apply.

Yeah, I've got Ohmwrecker's guide bookmarked, priceless information there. Pretty sure I've read all the guides too. It's just certain info, that's important to know, doesn't appear to be in there for a TT veteran.

So, as far as armor goes, what is shown in the mechlab for your CT armor, is exactly what you've got. They just doubled the max value that can be put on any mech part?

#4 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

For armor, they've doubled the maximum value you can put at any given location, and also doubled the amount of armor you get per ton. It's now 32 points per ton.

I know what you mean about transitioning from TT - I grew up on 3025 TT, and a lot of the changes took some getting used to. PPCs are no longer king, mechs that used to run fine no overheat, changes in rate of fire make different weapons more effective than they used to be.

Things that have really struck me:
The laser thing was a big one - I didn't expect to have to track my target during the entire shot
The ROF on autocannons makes AC/2s and AC/5s more effective than they used to be.
Chain firing is important - you can use it to manage your heat, or if you chain fire a couple autocannons you get a nice rapid-fire effect
PPCs are almost useless due to the amount of heat they make.
Doubling armor makes a lot of the old rules no longer apply. A PPC no longer strips armor off the head, and AC/20s aren't as nasty.

It's still a great game though.

One last thing - join a group, or get together with friends. Team work and voice chat make a world of difference.

Edited by Buckminster, 09 November 2012 - 11:29 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users