An Atlas And Its Arms

10 replies to this topic

#1 Phasmo

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

I'm saving up for an Atlas and can't choose between the AS7-D and AS7-RS.

I like the advantage of the RS having all it's lasers in its arms, though if they get blown off, it's pointless.

So how often do your arms get blown off in your Atlas? Got any other recommendations?

#2 Rogbull

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

There's hardly ever a game where I don't lose my arms. That said, arms are easyer to aim energy weapons with and the center torso only has room for 2 medium lasers.

I'd recommend the RS if the lasers are the defining factor. There's just more you can build with it.

#3 Infavol

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

View PostRogbull, on 09 November 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

There's hardly ever a game where I don't lose my arms. That said, arms are easyer to aim energy weapons with and the center torso only has room for 2 medium lasers.

I'd recommend the RS if the lasers are the defining factor. There's just more you can build with it.

i agree with ^^, except the part where you lose your arms , i rarely lose my arms,when i die its typically from a lame gausscat shot the face, or torso death

#4 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

If you fight at long range then you probably won't lose your arms until the enemy closes in. If you brawl, then you'll only lose them if you twist to avoid torso damage. Most people will torso shot you.

#5 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

I have an AS7-D (founders), and played a lot of AS7-RS in closed (saving up to buy one again).

With my AS7-D I run 4xMLasers, 1XAC20, and 2XSRM6. I fire the AC20 and SRM6 standard, and only fire the MLs when I have a kill shot lined up, or trying to hit fast moving lights. I find this mech is a killer on anything going slower than 70kph, and it really dominates anything that gets in my face. I have a very hard time dealing with lights though, because with so little firepower in the arms it is very hard to keep damage on a fast mover.

With my AS7-RS I had the reverse experience. I tried various mixes of MPulse and LLaser/LPulse in the arms and with enough heat sinks, I was able to blast the legs off lighter mechs much more often than with the AS7-D. But in straight up brawls with larger mechs, I just did not have the knock out power.

In both mechs, I find I loose my right arm at least occasionally, because a lot of people target the right shoulder on an Atlas to knock out their firepower quickly.

So basically, AS7-D seems better for fighting heavy and assualt mechs. AS7-RS worked better for medium's and lights that are harder to hi.

#6 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

View PostElizander, on 11 November 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

you'll only lose them if you twist to avoid torso damage.

Truth, but really this is what you should be aiming for. Having few weapons in the arms on most atlases is actually an advantage because of this. They can afford to throw away their arms as shields while losing minimal firepower. I think the heavier arm weapons make more sense if you're going for a heavy sniper kind of build.

#7 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

If you be a brawler Atlas/mid range Atlas & consistently dying with both arms intact, you're doing it wrong.
(.-.)
& if you be a long range atlas....what the fruit are you doing?!? That brawler Atlas on the other team is likely going to demolish your meds/heavies while you sit in the back.

Go choose a non assault frame with a smaller hitbox/greater maneuverability instead.

#8 Infavol

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

View PostMagicHamsta, on 11 November 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

If you be a brawler Atlas/mid range Atlas & consistently dying with both arms intact, you're doing it wrong.
(.-.)
& if you be a long range atlas....what the fruit are you doing?!? That brawler Atlas on the other team is likely going to demolish your meds/heavies while you sit in the back.

Go choose a non assault frame with a smaller hitbox/greater maneuverability instead.

or be like me, and sit back with quad ERPPCs on ur arms and demolish the enemies while theyre distracted with ur meds/heavies(back in CB anyway, now i just brawl with 7 ML on a 8Q)

#9 Chak

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

View Post80Bit, on 11 November 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

I have an AS7-D (founders), and played a lot of AS7-RS in closed (saving up to buy one again).

With my AS7-D I run 4xMLasers, 1XAC20, and 2XSRM6. I fire the AC20 and SRM6 standard, and only fire the MLs when I have a kill shot lined up, or trying to hit fast moving lights. I find this mech is a killer on anything going slower than 70kph, and it really dominates anything that gets in my face. I have a very hard time dealing with lights though, because with so little firepower in the arms it is very hard to keep damage on a fast mover.

With my AS7-RS I had the reverse experience. I tried various mixes of MPulse and LLaser/LPulse in the arms and with enough heat sinks, I was able to blast the legs off lighter mechs much more often than with the AS7-D. But in straight up brawls with larger mechs, I just did not have the knock out power.

In both mechs, I find I loose my right arm at least occasionally, because a lot of people target the right shoulder on an Atlas to knock out their firepower quickly.

So basically, AS7-D seems better for fighting heavy and assualt mechs. AS7-RS worked better for medium's and lights that are harder to hi.

does your ac20 get knock out pretty quickly? i swapped my ac20 for gauss as it seems to stay on longer then the ac20, i ever lost the ac20 to a single LRM salvo.. post 8/11 patch

#10 Lon3Wo1f

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 156 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

OK I had a nice reply typed up and Firefox exploded so now I'm annoyed *fumes*
I don't normally post builds since I like to keep them to myself unless I'm asking for advice from friends. This build is based on my Founders Atlas which, unless someone knows differently, is an Atlas D with a paint job. I do tend to lose an arm every two or three matches but I put that more down to a nasty habit I have of walking into 2 - 4 heavies and assault. If you ignore that I think the build is pretty tasty and works quite well for me in general.

4x Medium Lasers
1x Gauss
1x AC/5
2x Streak SSRM2

2x ML (arms) group 1
2x ML (chest) group 2 set to cycle fire mode with backspace
2x Streak group 3
1x Gauss and AC5 group 4

I run this with a Standard 300 engine and Double Heatsinks since I hate the XL engine vulnerability even if it gives more weight allowance. The thinking behind it is the arms start the fight, then the Gauss and AC5 which you can keep firing if you need to followed by the two chest lasers cycling while I wait for the arms to come back. Any lights or mediums that care to try their luck will have the Streaks to deal with but they can also be used for extra damage if you're in a bad situation. The armour is maxed on this build too but distribution I'm not sharing, that's gotta stay secret :D

#11 Phasmo

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Thanks all. I followed 80Bit and got the AS7-D for brawling, using a variation on Lon3Wo1f's build. This really helped!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users