8 Med Lasers Vs 4 Med Pulse Lasers

23 replies to this topic

#21 Puppeteerxerxes

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

I love both. I usually have both on builds. Right now running C9AL and I put the MPL's in the arms - fast for tracking lights, and then the ML in the center torso mounts. I can pick then for range and lower heat (ML) or fast targets or if I need to target a particular location for crits with the MPL's.

#22 Ryebear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

Keep in mind the cool down for weapons doesn't start until *after* the weapon finishes firing. That gives pulse lasers .25 seconds quicker relative cool down due to their shorter beam duration.

Also DPS/HPS must be calculated as damage or heat/cool down+firing time

#23 RumRunner151

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 697 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Just a couple points of clarification:
1) HBK-4SP has 9 energy hard points. A couple people said 8 but I think they meant it was the only one that would fit 8 like the OP was asking about.
2) ML vs MPL is not a black and white answer like some people seem to think. Often I find that, ML>MPL, but really it depends much more on your application. Is you mech fast or slow? Brawler or hit and run? Trying to do damage or adding them to defend vs lights? Can you run the MPLs and still be heat efficient? Are you limited by crits, tons, heat, or hardpoints? All of these questions and more matter to determine what is "best".

#24 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

medium lasers are better to kill anything under 80 KPH, pulses are primarily good for killing lights. Assuming you can hold your lasers on 1 node as you fire with good aim :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users