Hawken Vs. Mechwarrior Online :p

177 replies to this topic

#1 Sp4wNers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:39 AM

So i played few matches in Hawken today and I don't think i'm gonna stick with it anymore. Why?

1. Mechs are small, they're moving like humans or animals, you can't even feel you're driving a real mech.
2. Maps are small too. For me they are too small.
3. Damage taken by other mechs is too big. Excuse me but mech is a war machine that could handle few round of rockets or few series or lasers in Hawken i can destroy an enemy mech with 2 or 3 shots from something that reminds me gauss rifle from mechwarrior.
4. Mechs looks pretty weird (too organic?)... I don't know maybe i've played too much games based on BattleTech, where mechs are big, hard to drive and they can get a lot of enemy damage before they "die".
5. Game reminds me more of UT or CS but instead of humans we have "big" robots.

I know i shouldn't compare it to Mechwarrior, because Hawken is nothing more than a simple fast FPS game, but please, they should do it more realistic.

Things i liked in Hawken:

1. You can choose game mode and map from the server list.
2. If you will walk close the wall you'll hear metal scratching (it's awesome and they shoul've put it to mechwarrior)
3. Maps and mechs design is great, so futuristic (but as I said earlier i don't really like the look of mechs in Hwkn)
4. Even if it's only closed beta game looks polished.

I'm sorry for my bad spelling, i'm from Poland ;)

Edited by Sp4wNers, 10 November 2012 - 03:45 AM.

#2 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:05 AM

I watched the Hawken videos but I did not like the mech designs and the fact that they were small. I like walking over trucks. I'm not dissing Hawken though. Just not my thing.

#3 Nostram

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:13 AM

And the number one reason MWO is better than Hawken? It's Mech Warrior!

#4 Ultrabeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 992 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationDas Amerikas (The US)

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:17 AM

I played in Hawken closed alpha and beta. One thing I liked about Hawken was its in depth skill trees for each mech. There's like 4 groups of 30 different skill trees for offense, defense, support, etc for each mech that allows tons of customization for players. Yeah MWO has a few skills, but they're not really customizable, you don't have to pick and choose between certain ones and theorycraft, which is something many like for long term value and customization.

Other than that, it's exactly like TF2 which I was playing before it. If I want to play TF2, I'll play Tf2. Along with all the little kiddies and mentally "not quite there" on the built-in voice chat talking about all kinds of fun racist/bigoted things and having to mess around trying to mute people instead of playing.

#5 JudgeDeathCZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:19 AM

not this topic again :x

#6 Sp4wNers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:20 AM

I can fully agree with both of Yous! And yeah i know everyone likes different kind gameplay (i like tactical FPS games, like BF3, Arma etc.), actually i'm not really into simulators except (Euro Truck Simulator 2 and RailWorks 3) but Mechwarrior is my childhood and I can't stand that when I'm playing Hawken i don't really feel i'm driving a mech. This game is just weird in my opinion...

Mech should behave like mech, not like human or animal (i mean moves)

Edited by Sp4wNers, 10 November 2012 - 04:22 AM.

#7 MiG77

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • LocationThird tree from the left

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:34 AM

View PostUltrabeast, on 10 November 2012 - 04:17 AM, said:

I played in Hawken closed alpha and beta. One thing I liked about Hawken was its in depth skill trees for each mech. There's like 4 groups of 30 different skill trees for offense, defense, support, etc for each mech that allows tons of customization for players. Yeah MWO has a few skills, but they're not really customizable, you don't have to pick and choose between certain ones and theorycraft, which is something many like for long term value and customization..

Maybe it is just me, but I would prefer that there would not be any skill tree. Skill trees dont belong in "simulators" IMO (You determine skill yourself, not some tree that you unlock gaining experience).

#8 Minos Murdoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 252 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:34 AM

Tried Hawken - to me it felt like any other generic crappy FPS shooter, graphics arent great. didn't like.
Loved Battletech/MechWarrior since the 80's - ok game as it stands has issues but these are being worked on - love MWO

#9 yaay

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:38 AM

View PostMiG77, on 10 November 2012 - 04:34 AM, said:

Maybe it is just me, but I would prefer that there would not be any skill tree. Skill trees dont belong in "simulators" IMO (You determine skill yourself, not some tree that you unlock gaining experience).

Hawken isn't a simulator and neither is MWO.

#10 MiG77

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:39 AM

View Postyaay, on 10 November 2012 - 04:38 AM, said:

Hawken isn't a simulator and neither is MWO.

MWO try to be "mech simulator". In current state, it is not tought.

#11 Ultrabeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 992 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:41 AM

View PostMiG77, on 10 November 2012 - 04:34 AM, said:

So let's say you play a brawler Atlas. You wouldn't like a skill tree where you had to choose between offense or defense or extra ammo? That would mean you could customize your skills to your style of play. If you were a heavy hitter you could choose offense to give you like 10% extra damage or whatever to your weapons, but be more vulnerable because you wouldn't have the 10% bonus to armor, and run out of ammo faster because you didn't choose the 10% bonus to ammo capacity.

If you chose defense, you would have lower damage but could tank longer, but would also run out of ammo quicker. If you liked to be out on the front lines taking hits for your unit, that would be a great little bonus.

If you're a dedicated LRM boat or gauss sniper, then you could sacrifice the extra damage and defense for extra ammo capacity because you'd usually be sitting in the back so you could fire longer.

Those kinds of choices are what I'm talking about.

#12 Booran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:43 AM

too twitchy, too cluttered, no real sense of a battle going on. If I want a hyper-stylized robot-whacking game I'd rather go for something Gundam rather than Hawken. Though it's technically impressive, I give them that!

#13 MiG77

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:44 AM

View PostUltrabeast, on 10 November 2012 - 04:41 AM, said:

So let's say you play a brawler Atlas. You wouldn't like a skill tree where you had to choose between offense or defense or extra ammo? That would mean you could customize your skills to your style of play. If you were a heavy hitter you could choose offense to give you like 10% extra damage or whatever to your weapons, but be more vulnerable because you wouldn't have the 10% bonus to armor, and run out of ammo faster because you didn't choose the 10% bonus to ammo capacity.

If you chose defense, you would have lower damage but could tank longer, but would also run out of ammo quicker. If you liked to be out on the front lines taking hits for your unit, that would be a great little bonus.

If you're a dedicated LRM boat or gauss sniper, then you could sacrifice the extra damage and defense for extra ammo capacity because you'd usually be sitting in the back so you could fire longer.

Those kinds of choices are what I'm talking about.

As I said, I would prefer that mech is just mech and all skill depend on your personal skill. Not some tree you can unlock by gaining experience.

#14 J4ckInthebox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationBritanny, France

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:45 AM

MWO try to be "mech simulator". In current state, it is not tought.

I have a hard time understanding how you can simulate something that does not exist. (and don't link me the KURATAS, thanks)

It is hardly even an emulation since MWO doesn't follow exactly TT rules.

Edited by J4ckInthebox, 10 November 2012 - 04:47 AM.

#15 MiG77

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:48 AM

View PostJ4ckInthebox, on 10 November 2012 - 04:45 AM, said:

I have a hard time understanding how you can simulate something that does not exist. (and don't link me the KURATAS, thanks)

It is even hardly an emulation since MWO doesn't follow exactly TT rules.

You can simulate hypothetical sitatuations aswell (IE Battletech world).

#16 Ultrabeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 992 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:50 AM

View PostMiG77, on 10 November 2012 - 04:44 AM, said:

As I said, I would prefer that mech is just mech and all skill depend on your personal skill. Not some tree you can unlock by gaining experience.

This game already has skills and trees you can gain by unlocking with experience. Have you not played it?

#17 MiG77

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:51 AM

View PostUltrabeast, on 10 November 2012 - 04:50 AM, said:

This game already has skills and trees you can gain by unlocking with experience. Have you not played it?

Ofcourse I have. About half a year already (then there were no skill trees...). As I said, Id prefer...

Edited by MiG77, 10 November 2012 - 04:52 AM.

#18 Sp4wNers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:59 AM

View PostJ4ckInthebox, on 10 November 2012 - 04:45 AM, said:

It is hardly even an emulation since MWO doesn't follow exactly TT rules.

Actually you can simulate Mechs behaviors (movement, weapons damage). it's simple... If it's big and heavy it will go slowly (just like train or tank) if it's small it will go faster etc. So hypothetically you can simulate it.

#19 Kurayami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 916 posts
  • LocationSochi

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:06 AM

reasons i dropped hoboken
1)mech design is crap
2)mech design is crap
3)mech design is crap
n)mechdesign is still crap

there is a few good things like constructing mech from parts though, but useless to me since they still will look like pile'o'crap

#20 groundhouse

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:06 AM

Hawken:
1.Fast Fun (short waiting time after Dead)
2.Beginner Friendly
3.More Maps (small but better Designed)
4.More Gameplay-Styles
5.More Customizations,weapons,etc..
6.Cool Atmosphere (Sounds,Design,etc..)
7.No Bugs (found) & its Closed Beta.

MWO:
1.No Fast Fun (waste of Lifetime waiting for next Match after Dead)
1.Beginners unfriendly
2.Heavy Control
3.Only 4 Maps (to small & no Atmo & good Design)
4.Only 1 Gameplay-Style (capture the Base).
5.Grind like Hell (without Money)
6.Bugs like a Alphaversion (Crash to Destop,Loadout Bugs,Grafikbugs in Spectator,etc..).
7.Pay To Win Game

But Hey..the Mechs looks cool :D

HAWKEN = Call of Duty with Mechs
MWO = Good looking Mechs only

greetings
groundhouse

Edited by groundhouse, 10 November 2012 - 05:12 AM.

36 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 36 guests, 0 anonymous users