Hawken Vs. Mechwarrior Online :p

177 replies to this topic

#161 Cachucho

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:24 AM

Ill be honest I am here because of the Battletech Universe.

They could have made MWO like Hawken I would still play it, if nothing else than for the nostalgia feeling of seeing battlemech models. Well, ok there are limits as to how far from the original universe I am willing to go(mechwarrior 3050...ugh).

Played all Mechwarrior games from the 286 version, have seen alot of iterations, closest I have seen to the tabletop was the 3rd installment.

All others took many liberties. Ultimately it did not matter. It was Battletech. After that it is a matter of gameplay, is it fun or not? That is what will make folk stick around or go away.

Hawken, or another, they can gold plate it, I think Ill pass thank you, it is not battletech.

#162 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:25 AM

View PostELHImp, on 13 December 2012 - 02:20 AM, said:

Three words about HAWKEN: dirty cockpit glass! It make me feel like I'm inside cockpit, behind some barrier. So immresiony. I want this feature in MWO.

Role immersion would be nice. Which is what they promised us. But instead of continuing in that direction, they're going the other way and trying to turn it into a big brawler game.

Edited by Bluten, 13 December 2012 - 02:26 AM.

#163 Mr Mantis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationCouch

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:54 AM

View PostStormdragon, on 10 November 2012 - 06:30 AM, said:

This game is Mechwarrior in name only..sad how far the IP has fallen.

Fallen from stolen images of someone else ideas? :D Kinda hard to get lower than "not your own artwork". oh the unseen... glad they are staying away from them in MWO. I also think this is a big step up from the wizkid clix version, or the entire mech assault series. MW3, MW4: on par and going to be (eventually) MUCH better in my opinion. Call me an optimist, :D later call me a realist :D

#164 David Darkly

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:40 AM

I spent some time looking in to it too.
As far as the mechs go, it looks like Wall-E and his friends on ***.

BTW. You english is a good as or better than some native speakers.
I understood everything you said.

#165 Ilwrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:58 AM

Home sick today so I'll going to try Hawken out. Downloading the two gigs right now.
I'll be back to say how I think it compares to this game, if you can compare them at all.

I don't really want to play an ordinary fps and I like the slow pace of this game. If I wanted speed I would go play Tribes Ascend and cry about automatic guns in a "tribes" game or load up BF3... but I just have to see what their take on a mech game is. I'll be back later and post some about it.

#166 Ilwrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:53 AM

So I tried some dm in Hawken.

But first I had to download and install it. Good speed. Maxed out my crappy 2 mByte line.
Install forced a restart with a 1 min warning. WTF?

Other than the restart all good.

The game itself had a tutorial, ingame, and it was okay.

I was put in a ridiculous looking first mech when I tried out dm.

The mech it self does not move like a mech at all. There was no torso twist and that is very bad.
I got information overload from the interface and the game is using some kind of ****** graphics filter that is annoying. That can probably be tweaked away so no real problem.

I hate the shift dodge mechanics. It makes hitting stuff very annoying. When I play MWO I turn mouse sensitivity way down. Here I had to turn in way up so I could track stuff.

I must say that the first impression is rather bad. I have to try some other game modes (wow a game with several game modes!) but I'd rather go play Tribes Ascend than this.

I just cannot see any MWO player moving over to Hawken if it is mechs they want to pilot because the "feel" is all wrong. Why not play BF3 that is a far better game if its all out action you want? Or even Tribes if you really want speed?

#167 Jadel Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

View PostBluten, on 13 December 2012 - 02:08 AM, said:

You can say all that stuff all day long but the fact is that those of us that actually want to play a FPS will just go get Planet Side 2 or Battlefield 3. We're here because we wanted something different.

Not good at reading or just didnt read?

The point is Hawken has so many features that MWO should have. Not gameplay ... features. If they stole every one of the things I mentioned MWO would be a better game. The cockpit glass thing and the functional cockpit are two more.

I dont necessarily want to play it either, I want MWO to be better than it is though. They take so long to put simple things in and yet they are happy to just drop ECM or Artemis on us without so much as a second thought.

#168 Heeden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

View PostJadel Blade, on 13 December 2012 - 02:02 AM, said:

Then you arent disagreeing with me. I dont think either of them is a sim. They are both FPS with slightly more complex weapon setups than usual FPS.

As far as the comparison goes I honestly dont care for Hawken particularly, I love BT lore and prefer the pace of MWO. I just wish it was better in so many different areas.

MW:O counts a simulator because rather than the standard fps controls (forwards, backwards, strafe left and right, mouse to look/turn) your controls are more like operating a machine, so you have weapon groups, throttle control and independent torso twist for example.

#169 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

View PostELHImp, on 13 December 2012 - 02:20 AM, said:

Three words about HAWKEN: dirty cockpit glass! It make me feel like I'm inside cockpit, behind some barrier. So immresiony. I want this feature in MWO.
Good point. MWO still feels like there is no glass in the cockpits, honestly the only disappointment in otherwise brilliantly designed cockpits.

#170 Twilight Hall

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

well guys, hawken is a joke. it doesnt deserve the name mech, call it robots or cyborgs. whatever..

reasons:

- there is no locational damage, only one healthbar for the whole robot. it doesnt matter where u shoot.

- no torso movement, u control the mesh like a normal soldier like in every first person game

- heat management for children

- 3 seconds face to face fights, the winner is who jumps better around and dont suffer too much damage

i think it's not worth to play, there are tons of games like this and we all played it years ago. it has nothing to do with mechfights. it's a mix of aquanox and quake.

#171 Fastidious

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

I keep seeing people calling Hawken twitch or describing it's movement as arcade with instant acceleration in speed, etc. I don't think you've played Hawken enough if you think that. Hawken penalizes twitch play by not allowing full freedom of mouse movement (it'll feel like negative acceleration but it's just a limit instead) and it's built to encourage forward movement. Try strafing tightly or changing direction a lot, it'll be painful. For instance you can't dodge backwards because the developers want to encourage attacking. Yet in Hawken you have unlimited repairs and ammo. This will eventually lead to boring, spamming, defensive and passive play as people get better at it and understand the gameplay mechanics. Think what UT or Quake would be like if there were no items, players could self heal and you had unlimited ammo. That's Hawken but with worse controls and movement to discourage crazy twitch skill play.

#172 TomNewDelhi

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

Lets argue MOAR about make believe robots!!!

#173 I WildCard I

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

View Postgroundhouse, on 10 November 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

3 Clicks,10 minutes in loadout,Pilot and Upgrade-Screen,then You can Fire 80+ Missiles (Alpha Strike) nearly Instant (1sec Cooldown),on the Enemy (i have seen this Yesterday,Chainfire with 1000+ Missiles without a break of firing),thx to Elite Firerate.

You pay for Better Armor,Mechs,Skills,Upgrades!, without spending Time in Gaming,for Killing other without this Advantage. (same as all other Pay to Win Games).
Better Armor,Skills,Weapon are not a Adavantage against other without this?,50$ the same as 50Cent?,iam ignorant?,ahaha.
:P

I can create a new account and have my own mech in 20 matches(admittedly thanks to cadet system) that will stand toe to toe with anything you have assembled with pay to win in mind.

:)

#174 Sears

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 973 posts
  • LocationU.K

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

It's probably a good thing that both games exist around the same time and have a similar model. It should hopefully make the two companies strive to make there's the better product and we the consumers benefit from this.

#175 Glakner

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

I find MWO to be slow, muddy looking, and poorly balanced. Maps are also to big and open. Hawken they are small and focused.
Custimazition in MWO is there but IMO its not realy there as the imbaness .of the game makes many options not viable.

#176 Skunk Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:17 AM

One game is played with vehicles that look like Ripley's power loader is humping the moon lander. Also has gameplay like Tribes.

The other has giant robots that look like killing machines and plays more "like" an armoured warfare simulator.

#177 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:20 AM

Hawken looks like cod/bf3 and so on with a "mech hud" slapped over it.

Never going to touch it.

#178 PropagandaWar

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostGlakner, on 24 April 2013 - 03:20 PM, said:

I find MWO to be slow, muddy looking, and poorly balanced. Maps are also to big and open. Hawken they are small and focused.
Custimazition in MWO is there but IMO its not realy there as the imbaness .of the game makes many options not viable.

1 post and how many MWO games have you played? MWO isn't twitch based. I play COD and BF for my twitch hell no to Hawken. It lacks in so many areas. The pretty blow up stuff will come later. You wanna run fast and twitch a biy get in a spider. Customization in no ammo Hawken is week along with its player base at best.

Edited by PropagandaWar, 25 April 2013 - 12:19 PM.

48 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 48 guests, 0 anonymous users