17 replies to this topic

#1 Connor Davion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 115 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share my new favorite build and it is cost effective to run even as a non founder.

HBK-4SP
Engine - STD 245 - 79.3khp
Armor - STD - value 333/338
Internal - Endo Steel
Heat Sinks - 5 Double HS in addition to engine Heat sinks - Heat Efficiency 1.06

Weapons
5 Medium Lasers - 2 RA 2 LA 1 Head
2 SRM6 - 1 RT 1 LT
2T SRM6 ammo CT
AMS
1T AMS ammo
Case

So far this build has been a beast in the brawler roll. I have good sucess against all weights, especially against Atlases since they are so slow.

Well anyway there it is. Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Edited by Connor Davion, 10 November 2012 - 06:31 AM.

#2 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:19 AM

Try to make space for Artemis. You may find this giving your SRM6 some extra punch (not because they do more damage per se, but because they stay closer together and hit better.)

#3 Connor Davion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 115 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:29 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 10 November 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

Try to make space for Artemis. You may find this giving your SRM6 some extra punch (not because they do more damage per se, but because they stay closer together and hit better.)

Thanks for the input...

I like Artemis alot but it doubles the ammo cost so it makes this build way less cost effective for us non founders (wish now I wouldn't have spent all that time in CB putting off getting founders).

#4 Celros

• PipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 47 posts
  • LocationFin

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

How you get that engine fit in, are you using xl engines ?

#5 MustrumRidcully

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:54 AM

View PostConnor Davion, on 10 November 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

Thanks for the input...

I like Artemis alot but it doubles the ammo cost so it makes this build way less cost effective for us non founders (wish now I wouldn't have spent all that time in CB putting off getting founders).

Well, there are no Founder bonuses for the SP... Only the Premium bonuses. Those will run out eventually. :D

#6 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

I came up with almost exactly the same build yesterday (or should I say, early this morning?) when I got my SP, only I had no laser attached on head. That hardpoint doesn't turn along the arm so it's pretty hard to group, therefore i left it for HS.

View PostCelros, on 10 November 2012 - 06:38 AM, said:

Well, it just kinda fits in there, you know, enough crit space and enough weight?

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 10 November 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

I heard Artemis makes the spread too tight for hitting light mechs, while the stock is essentially smacking a wall against the poor little ones. For twice I had a Commando running to my face and I just pointed my 2xSRM6 to his general direction and BOOM! No more Commando.

Edited by Helmstif, 10 November 2012 - 07:07 AM.

#7 Connor Davion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 115 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:13 AM

View PostCelros, on 10 November 2012 - 06:38 AM, said:

Yup as said earlier in the thread it just kind of fits and it is a STD engine. I would never use XL in a medium brawler. That is just asking for engine crits

View PostHelmstif, on 10 November 2012 - 07:02 AM, said:

I came up with almost exactly the same build yesterday (or should I say, early this morning?) when I got my SP, only I had no laser attached on head. That hardpoint doesn't turn along the arm so it's pretty hard to group, therefore i left it for HS.

Well I like the head hard point it actually won a match for me a few times. It's kind of like the Centurion's CT lasers. It will be there until you die so you can go down swining. Besides I had nothing else to use that last ton on.

Edited by Connor Davion, 10 November 2012 - 07:13 AM.

#8 Celros

• PipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 47 posts
  • LocationFin

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

So youre probably getting space by getting DHS, otherwise I cant figure how you get space get that engine...

#9 Rustik

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

Second thread this morning for the 4sp build. I'm really surprised it took this long for people to learn about its capabilities. :D

I run this as my favorite chassis. I prefer more heat efficiency though, so I kept the stock engine and dropped the head laser in favor of filling it up with DHS. I also carry 3 tons of SRM ammo. I've been putting ammo in the legs, since I can't fit DHS there. I feel like ammo in the CT is asking for an ammo explosion to end you, and people rarely shoot the legs.

#10 Child3k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

I'm running the 4SP too - very similar loadout:

Std 240 Engine
4 ML
2 SRM6 with two tons of ammo in CT
AMS w 1t ammo
Endo
16 DHS
336/338 Armor

I think it is pretty perfect - all available slots are used, armor is almost maxed out and with 77.7 kph it performs well speedwise. For more speed it would be possible to free up some more weight to fit a bigger engine in if u want to reach over 80 kph. But I like my build just like it is now - it's a very solid thing that performs well in it's role as a brawler.

Edited by Child3k, 10 November 2012 - 09:24 AM.

#11 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

I don't have the entire build in front of my atm but I run with 4 Medium lasers (2 per arm), 2 SRM6s with Artemis, 2 tons of ammo and a 200 STD engine all in an endo steel frame with standard armor. I LOVE my 4SP.

Before open beta I ran with 2 SRM6s with dual Large Pulse Lasers and I LOVED it. I could engage in mid range combat as well as close range, in your face combat. I want to try out the large pulse lasers again but I've not had the time to out fit them yet because I've been saving up for my second Hunchback for the elite skills and I'm reluctant to drop the money on double heat sinks when I'm so close to my next Hunchie.

I'm not a fan of medium pulse lasers because I don't like being shoehorned into such close combat. With proper firing discipline and team work I can engage combat on an enemy at mid range and keep my heat levels in check.

My future plans are to try to run dual Large Pulse Lasers, once more, along side dual SRM6s. I'll probably remove my Artemis systems to fit the lasers and I'll definitely have to upgrade to double heat sinks. Hopfully by then I'll have my eleites unlocked and I'll get my double basic efficiency.

#12 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Remember if you're at a 240 or 245 engine, the 250 has an extra internal heat sink, so it's more efficient overall. Otherwise, this is similar to the -4SP build that I run as my "main."

If you have the head laser, just put it in its own group; I do the following:

group 1(lmb): arm lasers
group 2:(rmb): SRM6s
group 3(scroll wheel): head laser.

#13 Munkhausen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

All 2xsrm6-builds are atm best available options for 4SP after ssrm:s got overnerfed to uselessness.

I've found that heat spiking is biggest problem with all these builds. You have juicy atlas back in front of you and you want to blast with everything you got. In caustic you run hot very fast and really need to ration those hand lasers even in that kind of situations.

Other problem is that 2 tons of ammo just doesn't seem to last any time at all. I've been getting best damages I've seen in this patch in many games with pretty similar build lately but all of those games I've ended up using just lasers for endgame after srm:s have ran out. Trying to fix at least 1 extra ton of ammo in now.

About keybindings:
You have 2 lasers in both hands. Never use same button for both hands if in any way possible to avoid it. Use lmb for left hand grp and rmb for right hand grp. Expecially with these hotter builds it is imperative that you just shoot with weapons that can actually hit. If right arm is blocked by terrain -> just shoot left arm = halved heat, same damage. SRM:s are best if you can get them in 2 buttons as well - one button which has just both of them in same grp and one identical but chained grp for when you need to conserve heat. (And pretty please - if you use head laser don't...really don't put it in same grp with hand lasers - that's just horrendous heat wasting as not all of those will practically ever be hitting same target at same time.) If you run out of buttons try to get new mouse. I've found 6 buttons (5 wep grps and alpha - 6th grp is usually not needed) and scroll/7th button (zoom) are enough for this game but less hinders brawling.

#14 Child3k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

Yeah I know about the additional HS. I could drop one DHS because I gain one EHS going from 240 to 250. That still leaves me with 1t to fit in the bigger engine. I gotta think about that - either sacrificing the AMS or reducing armor. At the same time it's just 3 kph more ...

@Munkhausen: U can always drop the AMS for an additional t of SRM Ammo. But I rarely run out of ammo.

Edited by Child3k, 10 November 2012 - 11:42 AM.

#15 Detrimus

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

View PostConnor Davion, on 10 November 2012 - 06:17 AM, said:

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share my new favorite build and it is cost effective to run even as a non founder.

HBK-4SP
Engine - STD 245 - 79.3khp
Armor - STD - value 333/338
Internal - Endo Steel
Heat Sinks - 5 Double HS in addition to engine Heat sinks - Heat Efficiency 1.06

Weapons
5 Medium Lasers - 2 RA 2 LA 1 Head
2 SRM6 - 1 RT 1 LT
2T SRM6 ammo CT
AMS
1T AMS ammo
Case

So far this build has been a beast in the brawler roll. I have good sucess against all weights, especially against Atlases since they are so slow.

Well anyway there it is. Let me know what you think.

Cheers

I'm extremely confused by this build. I don't see how it's possible. I feel like such a newb right now.

How the hell are you running a standard 245, with an extra medium laser, ams and case over the standard variant loadout?

Endo only saves 2.5 tons. I think I'm grossly underestimating those DHS. Can you explain to me where all the weight savings are coming from? The more detail the better. Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, messed around and figured out that I was indeed underestimating DHS.

Edited by Detrimus, 10 November 2012 - 02:06 PM.

#16 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

I have a medium head laser and group it with the SRM's. They are all mounted on the torso, so the all hit the same point. At close range it packs a punch. But I might trade it off for artemis or case. 5 medium laser get hot really fast in a brawl.

#17 Connor Davion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 115 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

Nice input guys just thanks.

Just FYI I use 4 weapons groups for this build. Group 1 lasers in one arm. Group 2 lasers in the other arm. Group 3 SRMs. Group 4 head laser (though I have been considering adding the head laser to group 3).

#18 MustrumRidcully

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:02 AM

I wouldn'T combine the Head Lasers with the SMRs you may need to lead with the SRMs, which means many head laser shots will plain miss and just produce waste heat.

What you can do is putting the left and arm lasers together in one additional group. Barring any obscructions that cover one arm but not the other, you should often be able to fire both together and this guarantees full benefits from convergence. Not that pressing 2 buttons together is hard or changes how convergence works - but it may sometimes be useful.

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 11 November 2012 - 02:03 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users