Kaziem's Legos

13 replies to this topic

#1 kaziem

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

So I like legos and battletech, so why not post some photos... Some of these are older and some are newer.

Older ones collage: A locust, a Timber Wolf, and a Catapult

My newest precious model: a Mad Dog

This is in proper proportion to a lego dude, assuming he is 1.4 m tall. Unfortunately, it can't stand up from a crouch and hold it on its own, because (surprise!) the center of mass of the Mad Dog is not actually over its feet! Consequently it has trouble standing up, though it can crouch just fine. Obviously, this is the older-style Mad Dog... with the modification that I really liked the little nose-turret that the mechwarrior 4 version had, so I stole that.

My older brother's Timber Wolf. This is a computer model, but we had the real model. We built a MFB in proportion to it, but they're both long gone, sadly.

Edited by kaziem, 01 August 2016 - 01:29 PM.

#2 Patrio Sioux Daltum

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

Cool! I used to really love Legos, but when I had two full ten-gallon bins and well over three hundred dollars in Legos, I got bored and moved on.

#3 Atlai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

That Is awesome dude i have lego madcat but i dont have it right now

#4 Kooroush Azartash

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

That is a very awesome Mad Dog!

#5 Ambartanen

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationOrbit of Galatea.

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

I guess this is on another tread somewhere but it's never a waste to remind it:
http://www.brickcomm...r.com/index.htm

Nice models!

Edited by Ambartanen, 22 April 2012 - 04:54 PM.

#6 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:15 AM

Those first 3 look like Battletech meets Japan mecha by the way they stand, etc.

But the Vulture is so impressive. And the Mad Cat was probably too. <_<

I wonder how much time it takes to make something as detailed as this. :P

#7 kaziem

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:18 PM

View PostAdridos, on 23 April 2012 - 05:15 AM, said:

Those first 3 look like Battletech meets Japan mecha by the way they stand, etc.

But the Vulture is so impressive. And the Mad Cat was probably too. Posted Image

I wonder how much time it takes to make something as detailed as this. Posted Image

Well, the little guys were pretty quick. The locust took some fiddling-- it was hard to sorta mash the pieces into the right shapes. The vulture took about 16 hours. I rebuilt every piece of it at least 4 times with different designs, so that it would have the right joints in the right places. The only thing I had to compromise on is that it doesn't have ankles; I couldn't find a way to give it ankles and make the legs look right.

#8 SideSt3p

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 484 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:41 AM

Looks pretty awesome!

#9 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:48 AM

View Postkaziem, on 09 May 2012 - 05:18 PM, said:

Well, the little guys were pretty quick. The locust took some fiddling-- it was hard to sorta mash the pieces into the right shapes. The vulture took about 16 hours. I rebuilt every piece of it at least 4 times with different designs, so that it would have the right joints in the right places.

16 hours.... wow. :D

#10 SNobleJr

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 75 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

Huh. Thinking back now, I don't believe I've ever seen Lego 'Mechs built out of Technic/Bionicle parts, so this is a bit of a novelty for me. To be honest, the Catapult and the smaller Mad Cat are kind of underwhelming; they're oddly-proportioned, spindly, and have weird color schemes (and the Mad Cat doesn't seem to have a visible cockpit). The Locust looks a lot better; that one's supposed to have stick-thin legs, so it's not as jarring. The torso shape is fairly good, too.

Now, on to the Vulture and the big Mad Cat... holy crap, those things are massive, not to mention an immense jump in quality compared to the first three. It might be worth sacrificing the posability on the Vulture for some leg bracing or the like to allow it to stand better, because that thing would look awesome perched on a shelf. Crouching kind of kills the imposing look. ;)

#11 kaziem

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

Well, the catapult and the mad cat are really old. I'd like to build another mech, but I can't bring myself to disassemble my Mad Dog. It's just too darn good.

I was considering making a metal "stool" for the mech to sit on so it can stand. Unfortunately, the Mad Dog's proportions are such that the center of mass is not over the legs so it actually can't stand up even if I did lock its leg and hip joints. :)

Technic parts have a tendency to be either really useful or terribly inadequate. It took a lot to find the right way to mash the parts together so that not only did they appear right, but they would physically stay together. And yes, I really mean mash, one of the main advantages of bionicle parts is they are a little more flexible in their applications than straight-up bricks.

#12 Brunevde

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

I would be exceptionally interested in a parts list on that Timber wolf O.o

#13 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

what did yall use for that 3d build?

#14 Rayah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 801 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

I'm honestly surprised that I never tried to use my Bionicles to do this.

Nice Mad Dog by the way, really cool.

Mine: (Not Battletech models)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Rayzor, 11 July 2012 - 08:38 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users