Not Maxing Out Tonnage (Weight), Any Advantages?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Putnik29

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:32 AM

I have recently purchased a Hunchback 4sp and i was playing around with some loadouts and i managed to reduce my tonnage to 47 tons.

Is there any advantage to not maxing out the tonnage in a mech(increased speed or turn rate etc)? So far i don't seem to notice anything different, but perhaps i did not reduce the weight enough.

Cheers

#2 BorgT6

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 49 posts
  • LocationHalberstadt, Germany

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

if you are fine with your weapons setup you should consider an engine upgrade or adding additional armor. There is no benefit in not maximizing your mechs tonnage

#3 EtherDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

I agree with BorgT6, leaving tonnage on the table is a distinct disadvantage in this game. By comparison, in TT, your engine speed would be based on your actual tonnage, but this is not the case in MW:O; Your engine provides a certain speed for your chassis regardless of your actual tonnage.

Sub-max tonnage means you are giving up capability for nothing. A mech can always use more Heat-Sinks - you have space for em? If not, a bigger engine is your best bet - and there is a chance that an engine upgrade will come with room for another heat-sink (in the engine).

Edited by EtherDragon, 10 November 2012 - 08:42 AM.

#4 Putnik29

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

Thank you so much for the replies.

I always thought there would be a benefit for running reduced weight in reaction speed of the mech. Oh well

#5 Lege

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 365 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

Personally I think they should make it so you turn faster if your undertonnage, but currently there is no reason to go undertonnage.
In another mechwarrior game I think it made you run faster.
The formula for speed is proportional to engine rating/tonnage, so in that other game it used your actual tonnage.
They don't use actual tonnage, just your max tonnage in the speed formula in MWO.
Bottom line is don't run undertonned, get more ammo, heatsinks, armor or a bigger engine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users