My Art Collection

8 replies to this topic

#1 Hoaers

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

Edited by Hoaers, 04 October 2012 - 10:14 PM.

#2 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

1st.. this belongs in Fan Art
2nd... you're missing your drum track hook. 4 on the floor kick needs some syncopation or off beats to make the listener hear the depth of the rest of the music. Sounds cool tho.

#3 Runz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 329 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationInternational Man of Mystery (I travel a lot)

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Nice melody but the bass line definitely needs something more - feels a little bland.

But keep up the good work sounds like it's coming along nicely :rolleyes:

#4 Hawkeye 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

I'll chime in. I love the higher levels here, but Paul hit it right on the nose. The listener doesn't grab at the full complexity of the song due to the bass being very generic. This is most apparent when you drop the beat out at 2:14. You have the right idea and a good setup, but when you start bringing it back in at 3:02 the effect is lost since the bass line has been a footnote the whole time. You almost don't even notice when you do bring the bass back at 3:30

My recommendation: follow Pauls advice, then bring the lower channels to bear more on the song, but not so much they overpower your main tune. So when you do cut it out, the listener hears it and thus the build up to the beat drop carries more weight. And once you do bring it back at 3:30, keep it going for another 45+ seconds.

I do like this song however. Rework the bass some and I would actually use this in a live set. Anything in particular you used for inspiration? Since this is a MW forum it does remind me of some of the older songs from the MW2 era. If you want something that would resemble in-game music, use a full drum set. If you are going for a club-kicker, use a more synthetic sound to keep with the theme.

Edited by Hawkeye 72, 23 April 2012 - 04:24 AM.

#5 Bullet Magnet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

I really like the melody that comes in around 1:15 or so, however, what comes before that seemed a bit too repetitive, at least to me. Musically, it could use some variation, because I began to lose interest before that melody came in to spice it up.

View PostPaul Inouye, on 22 April 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:

2nd... you're missing your drum track hook. 4 on the floor kick needs some syncopation or off beats to make the listener hear the depth of the rest of the music. Sounds cool tho.

This is good advice too. That bass drum is the driving force behind your song, but it's too easily lost in the rest of your track. Really fattening up that bass sound, and giving it a thick, rich tone may work wonders as well.

Very nice job, especially for your first time!

Paul, are you a drummer? You seem to know your stuff.

Edited by Bullet Magnet, 22 April 2012 - 11:00 PM.

#6 Ironhawk

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:27 AM

Gave a like for melody. Agreed with Paul as well. Deeper bass is missing.

#7 Gun Bear

• 1,016 posts
  • LocationGarrison duty on some FWL Planet and itching for action.

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

I'll listen to these when I'm home.

#8 Gun Bear

• 1,016 posts
  • LocationGarrison duty on some FWL Planet and itching for action.

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

I'd say your on to something, you get progressively better with each one.

#9 Hoaers

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

Song I wrote plus a Hunchback IIC that I made for MWLL which unfortunately wasn't allowed to be further developed on.
https://soundcloud.c...ce-original-mix

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Hoaers, 30 April 2013 - 07:25 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users