Catapult K2 Questions

4 replies to this topic

#1 GanglarToronto

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

Hi I got into the beta a few months ago and finally got enough to buy a catapult. I loved playing with the K2 trial when it was in rotation because long range fire is my thing.

I have gotten used to the PPC range/damage and its very fun. My only concern is where I am supposed to put the heatsinks.

I got rid of the machine guns on both sides, kept the 2 medium lasers, and put on the right side an AMS because I hate LRM's.

Should I put all the heatsinks on the left/right arms where my PPC is located? How exactly do they work in relation to where they are?

Thanks.

#2 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

It does not matter where you put the heatsinks. You can put them in the legs so that when you stand in water they will work more efficiently or just toss them in the torso areas. Arms are usually not a good place to put them since those can get blown off easier than torsos.

It doesn't matter where you put them with the exception of the legs (while standing in water).

#3 GanglarToronto

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

View PostElizander, on 11 November 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

It does not matter where you put the heatsinks. You can put them in the legs so that when you stand in water they will work more efficiently or just toss them in the torso areas. Arms are usually not a good place to put them since those can get blown off easier than torsos.

It doesn't matter where you put them with the exception of the legs (while standing in water).

Really? Thats awesome. Legs it is then!

What would you suggest in terms of armor allocation? Since I had some tonnage left to use up, I put some armor in random places, but making it evenly distributed between part types. Ex: Arms are equal to eacother, legs to eeachother, and thats it.
What would you suggest?

#4 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

View PostGanglarToronto, on 11 November 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

Really? Thats awesome. Legs it is then!

What would you suggest in terms of armor allocation? Since I had some tonnage left to use up, I put some armor in random places, but making it evenly distributed between part types. Ex: Arms are equal to eacother, legs to eeachother, and thats it.
What would you suggest?

Normally you max out all your torsos and your head. If you have weapons in your arms, max them out too. If you use your arms (probably not on a catapult) to shield you from damage by torso twisting, you might want to max them. Legs are meh. No one really shoots them unless you are a light mech. You can probably get away with less armor on the legs. Leave around 40 or so if you're a heavy. On my 100 ton Atlas I just put like 60 on each when the max is 80+.

If the trend in the game is to leg, then raise it later, but that's not the case right now.

As for front/rear armor for torsos, I normally leave at least 18-20 at the back for heavier mechs since you will get shot in the back a lot. A Jenner with 6 small lasers will deal 18 damage so you want to at least stop the first one he gets off before you can turn around.

Edited by Elizander, 11 November 2012 - 12:31 PM.

#5 GanglarToronto

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for all the help mate. This will be be put to good use. Very helpful.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users