J-27 Vehicle

11 replies to this topic

#1 GuardDogg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:48 PM

While playing, working on the J-27 ammunition transport vehicle for my CGI, observing the design, nearing the completion. I was like...wth ??

First, noticable is the missles on the design. Long, slim. LIke what mech uses these long missles?

Posted Image

Near completion, while material naming, texturing.

Posted Image

This vehicle holds up to three crewmembers. Two seats (driver, passenger), and one gunner.

Posted Image

Now, I tried to resember the image from the technical readout 3025 from my own.

Posted Image

....Now get this,
The info really got me. I am 48 now, but when I was 16, playing th board game. I was in aww of this vehicle, but never read the info until now. Like..wow..here is the info. (Partial)
**************************************************************************************************************************

Overview

The J-27 is designed to transport dangerous ammunitions and missles from a rear supply area to the Battle-Mechs and infantry units. It was the backbone of the Star League's ordnance service prior to its fail. Thus, many of these transports are still active in the Successor States.

Designed for rear-area operations, the J-27's lack of armor makes it a very explosive target. The munitions that it carries are not protected in any way, exposing the transport to danger every time the vehicle nears the combat zone. Extreme heat can also pose a grave threat to the members of a J-27.

Capabilities

Although it plays a crucial role in combat by providing front-line troops with ammunitions, such a duty is usually considered punishment rather than providing privilege.

The J-27 can transport three tons of munitions in its front, tracked cabs. Its wheeled trailer can carry another trenty tons of ammunition. The front cab usually supports long-range missle reloads, the missle rack can be removed in minutes to take on other munitions.

For the most part, the personnal of J-27s are losers from the infantry. Some units, especially those of the Draconis Combine, are considered penal Units. Military convicts are offered the choice between a firing squad. It takes two personnal to drive the slow transport. The third crewmember is in charge of securing the ammunitions and manning the single SperryBrowning machine gun mounted over the cab. The mount is designed so that is cannot fire low enought to hit the car or trailer supplies.

One of the major drawbacks of the J-27 transport is that the trailer can only be detached from the cab manually. Thus, when a J-27 comes under fire, the load checker has to detach the trailer so that the vehicle is less of a target. Unfortunately, he must usually do this while the trailer is moving. Thus, he must crawl on top of the cab's cargo and down the back of the cab to disingage the trailer while the vehicle is rumbling across the countryside and taking enemy fire.

Edited by VeeDog, 12 October 2012 - 10:53 PM.

#2 JazzySteel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 304 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationthe crater that used to be Black Mesa, dipping the last Oreo into the last glass of milk.

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:52 AM

Haha, driving a bomb around. Wouldnt that be fun. It's looking great bro! Sorry i dont have anythign truely constructive to say, i dont know much about 3D modeling.

#3 GuardDogg

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

View PostJazzySteel, on 13 October 2012 - 06:52 AM, said:

Haha, driving a bomb around. Wouldnt that be fun. It's looking great bro! Sorry i dont have anythign truely constructive to say, i dont know much about 3D modeling.

Thats a okay post (response). Although now in the MWO forums if anyone is trolling I will name em..."J27 crewmember"...hehe...

#4 Mixaren

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

What program do you use to model in?

#5 GuardDogg

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

View PostMixaren, on 13 October 2012 - 09:15 AM, said:

What program do you use to model in?

I use Hexagon 2.5 to model in, UVmapper Pro for mapping, and Carrara 8 to render.

#6 Mixaren

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

Interesting. I'm a technical artist that uses Maya a lot with a side of Python to get jobs done. I would love to see wireframes if you've got them as well!

#7 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

Not bad. When did you build the J27 Ammo Carrier?

#8 SmithMPBT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 793 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

Looks good. Got any Von Luckners up your sleeve?

#9 GuardDogg

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

Letting you guys know, I did not build the J-27. Someone else did, and was on my backup drive for many years. Found it in a folder, along with a overlord dropship, and a elemental. These do not have creator names or even a readme (unknown). Just a Obj file meshs. I just took the J-27 mesh, and made texture names. Took about a week because parts had cylinder#, box#...etc. Anyone who does modelling in CGI will know. Hundreds of parts, and I narrowed em down. Dunno about rigging em, because the vehicle will be used for images. If I were to rig (for animations), I would remodel the J-27 in more detail (Missles for example is one, adding cockpit is second..etc..etc).

Here is the wireFrame.

Posted Image

View PostSmithMPBT, on 13 October 2012 - 12:09 PM, said:

Looks good. Got any Von Luckners up your sleeve?

In my Arsonal:
Elemental, Overloard dropship someone made, no name (no readme).

Not in my arsonal:
Have plans to build; Swift Wind Scout Car (easy), PKR-T5 PackRack Long Range Patrol Vehicle, HQ, Mash vehicle, then others in future. When done (nothing to do), will build the Tanks. Also planes in my mind (spy)...

#10 Mixaren

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

My eyes are bleeding from the wireframe! I'm going to guess someone built it just to build it and had no plans to animate it or do anything else with it. Still very cool though.

#11 Joe3142

Slothstronaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 958 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

Yeah that wire frame is a little intense for my eyeballs ;)

#12 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:58 AM

View PostMixaren, on 13 October 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

My eyes are bleeding from the wireframe! I'm going to guess someone built it just to build it and had no plans to animate it or do anything else with it. Still very cool though.

View PostJoe3142, on 13 October 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

Yeah that wire frame is a little intense for my eyeballs :)

That model was built in or before 1996 according to the file details on my copy. The most complex thing about it are the wheels -- which aren't all that complex. The rest is incredibly basic.

View PostVeeDog, on 13 October 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

Letting you guys know, I did not build the J-27. Someone else did, and was on my backup drive for many years.

Aww... I was thinking that after over a decade the original builder finally showed up!

Edited by HanaYuriko, 14 October 2012 - 05:59 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users