I Blew Up.

10 replies to this topic

#1 Nayru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

So, standard LRMlas-ing it up, artemis may be shot but firing the right amount at the right time can be pretty good. Roughed up the enemy team quite a bit and then plunked myself on a giant mountain on the borders of river city.

A hunchback got annoyed and came to fight with me, as expected two medium lasers > all his medium lasers/srms due to big armor. Lost my CT armor but he was one inch away from being cored himself, so he ran a bit and then fell off the mountain.

With my structure still in pretty good shape, I figured I'd sit on the edge of the mountain to prepare to blindfire my mediums through my cockpit nonsense, or LRMs if he really did decide to commit to running.
A few seconds later I'm at the edge and ready to core him with a shot at the edge of his ce--

Nayru has killed Nayru.

I blew the **** up. Boom.

It had been 10 seconds since he had shot at me, and the section with my ammo in it still had orange armor. CT structure was yellow. I have CASE for the lrm ammo, and was almost spent as well. Heat was at 30% at the moment I blew and never went above 80% the entire match.

30k c-bills and 300 exp for me because you get 0 when you 'suicide', despite flopping missiles all over the enemy team for 600ish damage.

****. So, any explanations for this first time experience?

#2 Bubba Wilkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

You were out of bounds?.

Edited by Bubba Wilkins, 12 November 2012 - 03:00 PM.

#3 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

It's easy to wander out of bounds when your DAMAGE CRITICAL warning indicator is activated because the OoB warning uses the same font and color as the Dmg Crt warning indicator, and there are some map edges where the OoB zone is improperly indicated on the minimap.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 12 November 2012 - 03:00 PM.

#4 Nayru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

If that was the case I'd've blown up a minute earlier. And I got -further- from the map boundaries to go to the edge in the first place. Never got any bounds warning.
RE: To clarify, I had been on this mountain for half the match and was much closer to the boundary than I ever was that entire time.

Edited by Nayru, 12 November 2012 - 03:02 PM.

#5 von Pilsner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

Sounds like OOB or overheat...

#6 Nayru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

Neither. My heat was incredibly low (I was built to use 3x lrm15s and had only been using two medium lasers for the last 30 seconds), and I was nowhere near the bounds.

People've stated the only possible thing was ammo explosion, but not only did I instantly blow up 10 seconds after I had been hit in any form, the ammo section still had all its armor.
Too bad you can't see what component you lost that killed you properly, would be interesting to know what I lost.

#7 Dorque

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 133 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

Considering your CT was almost cored, my best guess is an engine breach. I'm not 100% sure on how they work but I know that in lore once you've lost some engine shielding you're in trouble.

#8 DoktorVivi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

I've seen a couple inexplicable self-kills in-game as well. Couldn't explain them because the mech wasn't being shot at or firing and wasn't anywhere near the edges of the map (I was walking close to them)

#9 DrxAbstract

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

This has happened to me several times as well - fresh mech, just starting a battle towards the center of the map, off to the side or the like, basically nowhere near the boundary, click to fire lasers/SRM and mech automatically blows up with a suicide message.

#10 Nayru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

View PostDorque, on 12 November 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

Considering your CT was almost cored, my best guess is an engine breach. I'm not 100% sure on how they work but I know that in lore once you've lost some engine shielding you're in trouble.

That doesn't happen in this game, at least not yet.

View PostDoktorVivi, on 12 November 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

I've seen a couple inexplicable self-kills in-game as well. Couldn't explain them because the mech wasn't being shot at or firing and wasn't anywhere near the edges of the map (I was walking close to them)

Yeah, I was assuming they were force starting up and blowing themselves up via heat, but apparently not.

View PostDrxAbstract, on 12 November 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

This has happened to me several times as well - fresh mech, just starting a battle towards the center of the map, off to the side or the like, basically nowhere near the boundary, click to fire lasers/SRM and mech automatically blows up with a suicide message.

I think I did get that click off to core him, but instead of seeing those pretty green lines I saw a third person of my mech fall over with no visible fatal damage in the status window.

#11 MacKerris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

I have had similar experiences. Three or four times now I have killed myself with no explanation as to why I "blew up". Two times I was in the middle of the map, nowhere near any boundary. On both of those occasions I had been fighting and was damaged. I also was not firing weapons or being fired at. My only guess is that I had lost enough heat sinks so that moving alone caused me to overheat. On the other hand I have noticed that at times even though you have not taken any damage the time it takes to cool off increases over time. As we are testing I have spent a bit of time while checking out new builds by shooting rocks, etc. before first contact with the enemy. While I have seen a few weird heat related things I have not found enough to report as of yet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users