Can't Find Out Info: Does Bap Work? Or Ecm?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Enig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 594 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

I was under the impression that ECM wasn't working. Is BAP working?

#2 Throat Punch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 874 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNC, Terra

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

Neither is in the game yet.

#3 Dagnome

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 906 posts
  • LocationNew Hampster

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

View PostMorsdraco, on 12 November 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

Simple question, simple answer.

#4 Blaank

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

So let's change the question to how will they work and what mechs will be able to equip them?

In MW4, Raven had BAP+ECM, missile hardpoints, and 360 torso twist. Made it a superb scout and light missile mech.

#5 Meister Brau

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

View PostMorsdraco, on 12 November 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

if you buy the RVN-3L, it comes with both the BAP and ECM, but they do nothing. They weight 1.5 tons each, and take up 3 slots.

#6 Throat Punch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 874 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNC, Terra

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

View PostMeister Brau, on 12 November 2012 - 07:40 PM, said:

if you buy the RVN-3L, it comes with both the BAP and ECM, but they do nothing. They weight 1.5 tons each, and take up 3 slots.

The equipment exists, yes, but the functionality is not yet implemented in the game, ergo my statement remains correct.

#7 cmopatrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Locationa 45 tonner on patrol...

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

View PostBlaank, on 12 November 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

So let's change the question to how will they work and what mechs will be able to equip them?

as far as i have been able to find out, they have not told us (anything).

so far, the RVN-3L is the only variant that comes with them... BUT, while you can not buy either right now on the market, they are not restricted (like say AMS is) to given locations (the only way i know so far to restrict equipment in MWO, to restrict ECM to a mech like the RVN-3L, they would need to add a location on the Raven that took just ECM, so the unit can not be placed anywhere else). to prove my point, i have just taken the placeholder for ECM that came with my 3L out on a founders cat... and it dropped fine.

this should not be the case, but right now, it implies that they will simply nerf them and make the Raven useless, as opposed to something like canon (think of modern electronic warfare aircraft, and you get a rough idea) where ECM only went to play on a limited number of mechs (especially at this point in the timeline).

Edited by cmopatrick, 12 November 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#8 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

The items are in the store as place-holders, presumably so people can work out builds.

Best guess is ECM will reduce the effectiveness of gear like Artemis IV, TAG, and NARC, as well as reducing the ability of hostiles to target you (ie they must get closer before you show up on radar).

BAP should be able to detect any mech in range, even if it's shut down. I'd guess that it might counter hostile ECM, at least as far as targeting goes, so long as the target is in the BAP's range. It might also let you 'see' targets that are in probe range but for which you lack LOS, since that seems to be one of the BAP's roles in the fiction.

#9 deadeye mcduck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationOutside the periphery

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:18 AM

Regarding ECM:

ECM

We've had several internal playtests. Overall I'm excited to see this hit the battlefield, as it adds a very interesting tactical component. However, in its current state is very overpowered and makes certain mech builds even more useful (Gausspults). There was some general usability feedback from the team. Some found it hard to visualize, others wanted more indication that a friendly unit had an ECM equipped.

We're keeping it in test until some HUD/BattleGrid changes help smooth out communication, along with making sure the ECM is not OP. For those wanting to hide from LRMs, this will be your must have item.

It's due, but we have no idea when, so be paitent.

Edited by deadeye mcduck, 13 November 2012 - 03:19 AM.

#10 Blaank

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:45 AM

Well that's an easy one to guasspult being good with ecm. Catapult can't equip ECM. It's what makes the vulture so special in MW4. Vulture has ECM and catapult has BAP. Raven has both. Restricting it by mech would be one of the best ideas to give various mechs roles and preventing other from becoming too good.

#11 cmopatrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Locationa 45 tonner on patrol...

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

View PostBlaank, on 13 November 2012 - 05:45 AM, said:

Well that's an easy one to guasspult being good with ecm. Catapult can't equip ECM. It's what makes the vulture so special in MW4. Vulture has ECM and catapult has BAP. Raven has both. Restricting it by mech would be one of the best ideas to give various mechs roles and preventing other from becoming too good.

er... but MW4 nerfed ECM and made BAP very powerful. i would personally prefer that they keep both close to canon...

no cat variant had BAP
and
no Mad Dog had ECM.

while they do allow things like gausspults (that also are not close to canon, allowing a useful ECM (which acts like a radar/sensor/artemis jammer for a given range) or even the MW4 nerfed one on any chassis would make the Raven useless and seriously ruin much of the game's tactical possibilities. imo, of course.

Edited by cmopatrick, 13 November 2012 - 06:55 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users