10 replies to this topic

#1 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

I have just bought an AS7-RS and am working on tweaking a build I used in closed beta before DHS were available. The basic idea is to run 4 Extended Range Large Lasers as primary weapons, with sufficient heat management to fire them frequently. ERLLs are a kind of "everything" weapon, that will work at almost all engagement distances. I back it up with 2X SSRM to deal with fast movers that close in.

This build was the best I could come up with for heat management. I was able to get a little more heat dissipation from SHS but this brought down the engine weight to annoyingly slow levels. Any suggestions are welcome. I am not quite done buying all the parts but will post after I have some experience with the mech.

Note: This build was done in the MWO Mechbay program and the DHS numbers seem a bit off. It is counting the built in engine heatsinks as 1.4 instead of 2.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chassis Name: Atlas
Model Name: AS7-RS
Variant Name: Tesla

Engine: 360 Reg Engine
Internal Type: Endo Steel
Armor Type: Std Armor
Heat Sinks: 21 (14) Double Heat Sinks

Tonnage: 97.19
Speed: 58.3 kph
Armor Total: 614 (Max)
Alpha Strike Damage: 46.00
Alpha Strike Heat: 44.00
Firepower: 11.33 dps
Heat Efficiency: 27.86%
Effective Range of Loadout: 675m

Armor: All Maxed

Right Arm:
ER Large Laser x2
Endo Steel
Double Heat Sink

Left Arm:
ER Large Laser x2
Endo Steel
Double Heat Sink

Right Torso:
Double Heat Sink x2
Endo Steel x6

Left Torso:
Streak SRM2 x2
Double Heat Sink x3
Endo Steel

Center Torso:
Endo Steel x2

Head:
Endo Steel

Right Leg:
Streak SRM Ammo
Endo Steel

Left Leg:
Streak SRM Ammo
Endo Steel

File created using MWO Mechbay then edited.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by 80Bit, 12 November 2012 - 08:07 PM.

#2 Infavol

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

View Post80Bit, on 12 November 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

I have just bought an AS7-RS and am working on tweaking a build I used in closed beta before DHS were available. The basic idea is to run 4 Extended Range Large Lasers as primary weapons, with sufficient heat management to fire them frequently. ERLLs are a kind of "everything" weapon, that will work at almost all engagement distances. I back it up with 2X SSRM to deal with fast movers that close in.

This build was the best I could come up with for heat management. I was able to get a little more heat dissipation from SHS but this brought down the engine weight to annoyingly slow levels. Any suggestions are welcome. I am not quite done buying all the parts but will post after I have some experience with the mech.

Note: This build was done in the MWO Mechbay program and the DHS numbers seem a bit off. It is counting the built in engine heatsinks as 1.4 instead of 2.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chassis Name: Atlas
Model Name: AS7-RS
Variant Name: Tesla

Engine: 360 Reg Engine
Internal Type: Endo Steel
Armor Type: Std Armor
Heat Sinks: 21 (14) Double Heat Sinks

Tonnage: 97.19
Speed: 58.3 kph
Armor Total: 614 (Max)
Alpha Strike Damage: 46.00
Alpha Strike Heat: 44.00
Firepower: 11.33 dps
Heat Efficiency: 27.86%
Effective Range of Loadout: 675m

Armor: All Maxed

Right Arm:
ER Large Laser x2
Endo Steel
Double Heat Sink

Left Arm:
ER Large Laser x2
Endo Steel
Double Heat Sink

Right Torso:
Double Heat Sink x2
Endo Steel x6

Left Torso:
Streak SRM2 x2
Double Heat Sink x3
Endo Steel

Center Torso:
Endo Steel x2

Head:
Endo Steel

Right Leg:
Streak SRM Ammo
Endo Steel

Left Leg:
Streak SRM Ammo
Endo Steel

File created using MWO Mechbay then edited.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

what i did, was fawk everything, just throw on quad LLs and **** on people with ur max armor

#3 Squarefox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:40 AM

And you mech doesn't become a bubbling puddle of molten metal? Seems to be a very hot design (in terms of heat balance).

#4 Kdogg788

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:23 AM

I've seen four large lasers on a K2 for that matter, so an Atlas should be able to pack more sinks to deal with the heat.

-k

#5 Vizzini

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

can you turn fast enough to get a lock on the fast movers?

#6 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

Vizzini, it can be hard to keep a lock on circling jenners, for sure. But one advantage of having 4 ERLLs is that they are on the arms for faster tracking, and one of the easier weapons to hit a fast mover with (though rarely for full damage). A stream of 36 damage is enough to leg a jenner pretty fast.

#7 Xeven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

Well not much you can do without droping the engine size. I run a slow version of this minus the SSRM's I have mastered the Atlas skills so I don't have trouble with scouts an aiming the ERLL's. I think I normally use the 275 engine and max out the SHS, AMS, 1 ton AMS Ammo. I dont run it with max armor either. I drop some here and there to add more SHS.

With this build you can core anything you can hold aim on before overheat if you chain fire. I love coring LRM boats at 800 meters. They either have to back down or die. Even close in Face to Face with other Atlas as you stream the non stop chain fired ERLL the other guy usually tries to keep pace with how often your firing (wich is non stop) and overheats. The only time another build has cored me first, face to face, is if he is not the first Mech I battled and my Armor is hurting. I still win though if they try and keep up and shut down. It is slow but brutal. The Alpha aint bad either. Sometimes Ill risk a shut down running hot if I think an Alpha will finish them off. Can't count the number of times I shutdown watching them explode.

#8 MastersVoice

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

Use Llasers instead of ER Llasers they generate only 7 Heat per Shot , i can do 4 Alphas with my Lasercat before i get a Heat Warning.

#9 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

I used to use 4x LL, LRM15 LRM5

Ran quite well, and this was before DHS were added.

ERLL? I'd be hesitant to try, but if you can keep everyone back at arms length to maximize your range advantage, that's a decent amount of damage with fantastic range (plus hitscan accuracy)

#10 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

I know the ERLLs are hot, but I would like to make the build work with them if I can.

A SHS build can actually run cooler, but it requires a smaller engine and giving up the SSRMs.

I ended up with this build by finding max cooling possible with DHS and working backword. I found out that I either run out of tonnage without using endo, or run out of crit space with endo. I went with using endo, which gave me tonnage but no free slots, so that led to maxing the engine size.

#11 Staplebeater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:25 AM

I had a 4 LL RS build before double HS. Now i run it and i am way short on tonnage even adding SSRM x2 and . Not really sure what do do with it next other than to add a larger engine. I would have to cut HS to add in any other weapons

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users