Can I Turn Off "profanity" Filter?

16 replies to this topic

#1 nimrodusmaximus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

As an adult, I think I can handle adult words. Can I turn off the (really annoying) "profanity" filter?

#2 Stickjock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

Chris K had this to say on the subject...

There is no way to turn it off in the forums and there is no chat censorship in game at the moment.

#3 nimrodusmaximus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

Well that's plain stupid. On so many levels.

#4 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Guys Are So Bad I'm Moving To The Moon

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

What they mean is there's no way to turn it off at the user level only in the admin control panel. So turning it off would disable it for everyone.....including those under 18.

#5 nimrodusmaximus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

View PostSixStringSamurai, on 13 November 2012 - 10:00 AM, said:

What they mean is there's no way to turn it off at the user level only in the admin control panel. So turning it off would disable it for everyone.....including those under 18.

Yes. And that's plain stupid. On so many levels.

#6 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Guys Are So Bad I'm Moving To The Moon

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

Not really if you ever spent time in an admin CP. They can be frustrating. However, what you don't consider is that if they did disable the filter it would open up an avenue for lawsuits from "concerned parents".

#7 Stickjock

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

View PostSixStringSamurai, on 13 November 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

Not really if you ever spent time in an admin CP. They can be frustrating. However, what you don't consider is that if they did disable the filter it would open up an avenue for lawsuits from "concerned parents".

Not to mention, there is this to consider as well...

The bottom line is that we want MechWarrior Online to be a fun and safe environment for all players. While playing on MechWarrior Online and posting on its forums, you will encounter thousands of other players who share different experiences and come from vastly different backgrounds. While certain language and images may not be offensive to you, consider the fact that that same language and images may have a completely different effect on someone else. We’ve done everything we can to make this a great environment – now it’s up to you!

#8 Dieselpunk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationKansas (thankfully it's only temporary)

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

Why is it stupid? As an adult, you should be mature enough to not have to use such words in order to express yourself. Sure, most of use some elements of profanity here and there but there's no reason why one should be annoyed over the fact that we can not use and/or view such terms. In other words, grow up. :)

#9 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

View PostDieselpunk, on 13 November 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

Why is it stupid? As an adult, you should be mature enough to not have to use such words in order to express yourself. Sure, most of use some elements of profanity here and there but there's no reason why one should be annoyed over the fact that we can not use and/or view such terms. In other words, grow up. :)

It's folly to allow selective filtering because it would encourage people who turned the filter off to use more porfanity/obscene/offensive language. That, in turn, would loosen up their standards of conversation on the forums. While their profane words might be filtered for the rest of the viewing audience, you can't filter their sentence structure, or the general statements they are making.

Forcing everyone to live under the same filtration umbrella will remind you every time you post that children are reading what you say. You can't just have regular "adult conversations" or profane insult wars taking place between users with filtration disabled [while just the naughty words are rendered to asterisks for the kids] and expect that to count as a "family-friendly environment."

Edited by Prosperity Park, 13 November 2012 - 11:16 AM.

#10 RAM

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 2,019 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

Official answer
http://mwomercs.com/...ilter-a-little/

RAM
ELH
MOD

#11 Deathz Jester

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

Is the word ***** still censored?

Yep it is, thats just plain stupid. I was attempting to discuss with someone a while ago the Word of Blake Ji*had story line (IN AN ADULT CONVERSATION) and they had no clue what I was talking about because the word Ji*had is censored.... thats stupid, silly, and unnecessary.

Edited by Iron Harlequin, 13 November 2012 - 11:59 AM.

#12 Zylo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • Locationunknown, possibly drunk

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

I think at least on the forums it doesn't matter too much if the filter is forced on. Knowing that the filter will block some words will just force some forums users to make their angry statement in some other form if they don't want the filters applied.

In terms of attracting new players to the game this would probably present a better image of the community.

I think the filter needs to be changed from * to [REDACTED].

#13 nimrodusmaximus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

1. Leave it to the individual to turn on/off. Why is this even global? That's stupid.

2. Attempted to restrict certain words because one person deems it offensive ignores that fact that, as an international game, letters arranged in a certain order will have profoundly different definitions and connotations. What you're basically trying to do is to say "If I find a word offensive, then you can't use it". That's stupid. If a person takes offense to certain letters arranged in a certain way, and if that person's level of offense matches [PGI's? Moderators?] value-set, then you can't use the word. But if *I* personally find a certain word offense but [the powers that be] don't, then I'm stuck being offended? Yes, I'm sure they'll apply a general, good faith, "common English obscene words" approach, but it's still going to result in censorship of ideas at the cost of someone not seeing certain letters arranged in a certain order - even tho, by context, it's highly likely that you'll already know the word that they want to use. That's stupid. If it really bothers someone enough, they can turn on their own profanity filter (see point #1 above).

3. Censorship of ideas is stupid. Period. Yes, some ideas are really stupid, but for [practically] all cases, censorship is just plain stupid.

4. The filter will be easily circumvented by anyone who actually cares enough to use a profane word; and will be overly broad such that words that would otherwise help with a discussion are redacted. That's stupid.

The profanity filter, as currently implemented, is stupid.

edit: Easy fix: See #1.

Edited by coolname, 13 November 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#14 Stickjock

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

So... I may be wrong here... but something seems "stupid" to you most of the time doesn't it...??

#15 nimrodusmaximus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

View PostStickjock, on 13 November 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

So... I may be wrong here... but something seems "stupid" to you most of the time doesn't it...??

While I generally think of a vast majority of human actions as pretty unintelligent, that's not really the point here, is it?

What we're talking about is the profanity filter. Care to make a point about the topic at hand, or shall be move on to something else?

#16 Dieselpunk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationKansas (thankfully it's only temporary)

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

View Postcoolname, on 13 November 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

While I generally think of a vast majority of human actions as pretty unintelligent, that's not really the point here, is it?

What we're talking about is the profanity filter. Care to make a point about the topic at hand, or shall be move on to something else?

Funny you should say that since, in your previous post, you didn't make a point at all. You used the word "stupid" at least 8 times like a frustrated child would who is in desperate need of a timeout. You would do well to say that something is pointless or not worthwhile, etc., but, no, this and that is "stupid". There is a difference between criticism and insults; however, you sir, do not know the difference between the two.

#17 nimrodusmaximus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

View PostDieselpunk, on 13 November 2012 - 12:26 PM, said:

Funny you should say that since, in your previous post, you didn't make a point at all. You used the word "stupid" at least 8 times like a frustrated child would who is in desperate need of a timeout. You would do well to say that something is pointless or not worthwhile, etc., but, no, this and that is "stupid". There is a difference between criticism and insults; however, you sir, do not know the difference between the two.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I made quite a few substantive points to support my position that the profanity filter's implementation is, qualitatively, unintelligent (and, therefore, by definition, "stupid"). I did used "stupid" quite a bit to make the point that the actions taken are "stupid" (in an earlier post, someone asked how the profanity filter was stupid). If you'd bother to read the post rather than reacting to the word, you might have gotten a few concepts; but I'm guess you're not as interested in a discussion as you are in defending your desire to protect yourself from certain letters arranged in a certain order.

Perhaps the word "stupid" should be on the profanity filter?

edit: haha it was you who asked why it was stupid. Maybe in the intervening few minutes, you forgot your own question.

Edited by coolname, 13 November 2012 - 12:34 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users