What Vision Mode Do You Prefer?

45 replies to this topic

Poll: What vision mode do you use or prefer? (142 member(s) have cast votes)

I normally rely one

1. Thermal Vision (34 votes [23.94%])

Percentage of vote: 23.94%

2. Low Light Vision (1 votes [0.70%])

Percentage of vote: 0.70%

3. Mark 1 Eyeball (Normal Vision) (107 votes [75.35%])

Percentage of vote: 75.35%

When Normal Vision won't do, I usually rely on

1. Low Light Vision (9 votes [6.34%])

Percentage of vote: 6.34%

2. Thermal Vision (133 votes [93.66%])

Percentage of vote: 93.66%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

On River City Night, I died early and decided to switch around - what vision mode is preferred by players on this night map?

6 out of 7 players used thermal vision, 1 player used normal vision. Of course, that's hardly a good statistical measurement, but I am not going to die early in every match to gather more data (but when I do early, trust me, it's just because I am data gathering, I am not really that bad! Really!)
So, I decided, let's take a poll. It's not much more accurate maybe, but at least it may serve as a discussion - what vision mode do you prefer?

Personally, I prefer to use Normal Vision, because that's the most beautiful. Unfortunately, I begin to realize it's not the most effective - the mono-chromatic design of the maps tends to make this one of the modes where it is most easy to miss details. Thermal vision is much better.

Low-Light Vision seems subpar. Sometimes, the landscape seems to be better recognizable in low-light than in thermal, but usually it's still all so bad that thermal seems superior.

What are your experiences and preferences?

#2 IIIuminaughty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

I have contacts for a reason!

#3 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

In Thermal i can make out the Mechs while in Low Light anything is the same though i prefer Normal which is less exhausting to my eyes and looks better.

#4 MustrumRidcully

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

View PostStrataDragoon, on 06 January 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

I have contacts for a reason!

Let's round that down to Mark 1 Eyeballs, okay? I am wearing glasses...

#5 KyBr2K

• PipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 87 posts
  • LocationCockpit of a DWF-B

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

I prefer normal vision either way. I use nightvision to navigate the dark parts of River City Night (so as to not crash into things), but really I prefer normal vision for brawling.

#6 borisof007

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area, California

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

Thermal provides a method for which to spot mechs who are shrouded with ECM. This wasn't as huge of a deal prior to it being implemented.

Additionally, thermal is just too good compared to night vision, even though night vision doesn't have that film grain on movement and allows for finer details, it's still "meh" to me.

Night Vision would have to have a much clearer visual effect and longer distance in order for me to want to use it, in addition to thermal vision getting it's range reduced.

#7 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

Normal vision 23/7. The only time I actually use a different vision mode is when it is tactically usable (enemies far in the distance you want to hit, but they are blending with the enviroment - thermal, Night map - night vision).

People who use thermal 24/7 are stupid, because observing them, you can clearly see they can't brawl at all, because they can't see the mech's clearly enough to focus fire where it needs be.

#8 Heinreich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 181 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

On River City Night I actually prefer to use night vision. I have trouble making out enemy mechs from a distance on thermal vs background noise (environmental heat sources). On other maps tho I use thermal on occasion since i can quickly switch between thermal and normal to verify what i'm seeing. I cant do that on RCN.

#9 FrostPaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

Normal vision to appreciate the game my system is burning up to run.

Thermal vision to counter ECM jockeys.

#10 kilgor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 346 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

Even in regular light, Thermal vision lets you see the silhouette of a 'Mech before regular vision does, so I use it mostly for ranged hitting and my damage scoring has gone up quite a bit because of it. It also tends to let you see 'Mechs covered by trees as you can see the parts of the blue 'Mech. I do tend to switch back to Normal vision for close range to specifically focus on right torsos.

#11 Irvine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

When not in a brawl ill use thermal on River City Night, but i have a hard time landing shots with it during the eventual brawl.

Dunno why there is more of a lag shield/jumpiness

#12 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

Thermal only, I haven't even though of using normal before, and night vision is too blurry to be good. The light is too light, and you have less range.

#13 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

I don't always vision modes but when I do, I prefer Thermal. - the most interesting mech pilot in the world!

Seriously though, I'll use thermal to pick up ECM covered targets at range. But, unless I'm on the night vesion of Lake City, I cruise around with Mk 1 Eyeballs. In the prior, I use Thermal extensively until I'm in close and then I switch to NV for better detail. I'd use Thermal 24/7 on the night mode if it had more detail but I often can't tell which way the target is facing.

#14 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 06 January 2013 - 06:46 AM, said:

On River City Night, I died early and decided to switch around - what vision mode is preferred by players on this night map?

6 out of 7 players used thermal vision, 1 player used normal vision. Of course, that's hardly a good statistical measurement, but I am not going to die early in every match to gather more data (but when I do early, trust me, it's just because I am data gathering, I am not really that bad! Really!)
So, I decided, let's take a poll. It's not much more accurate maybe, but at least it may serve as a discussion - what vision mode do you prefer?

Personally, I prefer to use Normal Vision, because that's the most beautiful. Unfortunately, I begin to realize it's not the most effective - the mono-chromatic design of the maps tends to make this one of the modes where it is most easy to miss details. Thermal vision is much better.

Low-Light Vision seems subpar. Sometimes, the landscape seems to be better recognizable in low-light than in thermal, but usually it's still all so bad that thermal seems superior.

What are your experiences and preferences?

Thermal every time I can't use the standard view. Ever since they went away from the grayscale NV to the green/black NV it's been basically pointless, imo.

I tried to start a poll to get the closed beta version of NV back, but not many folks seemed to care. Even bumped it after we got a night map.

Makes me a sad panda.

http://mwomercs.com/...__fromsearch__1

Small sample, but it seems I'm not the only one who liked the closed beta version better. :)

#15 Wile Ee Coyote

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Thermal all the way. Only during brawling do I switch back to normal. Thermal makes long range much easier as the enemies are simple blue blots that are very easy to spot, I cant see anything on long range with NV.

Actually, I prefer using thermal on daytime maps as well for long range engagements (above 1000m gauss and ER PPC still do considerable damage and the AC2 is always annoying), and now with the ECM umbrella's, thermal vision is much more reliable detection than radar.

However, all of the above does NOT apply to caustic valley. Thermal on that map is simply useless.

#16 Helsbane

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

I use thermal mode until the enemy gets in close, then I switch to either NV or normal mode. The thing that bothers me is the tech level of the mechs we're using VS. the appearance of the alternate vision modes. Why does NV look like a current pair of NVGs? Why does thermal look pretty much like a cheap current tech FLIR unit? It's 3050 FFS! These visual effects shouldn't look like what we're currently using. You should be able to overlay thermal onto normal vision mode for sniping. Dial up the ambient on NV so the visual is far less grainy. But, I guess my expectations on future tech may be a little high, after all, I can't even get a rear view mirror for my Cata.....

#17 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Heat vision for the win... unless its Caustic then Mk1 Eyeballs.

#18 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

I use Thermal mode to spot targets far away, but when they get close enough I turn it off and use my normal vision. Thermal is useless on costic for me so I don't even use it there. On river city night, once again Thermal for spotting targets far away and when they get close enough I switch to night vision.

#19 skullman86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

It's actually gotten to the point where I have trouble playing without thermal on most maps. When I turn it off, the feeling is similar to sitting in a dark room for days and then deciding to walk out into the light. I think part of the problem is that the color filter makes objects/colors kind of washed out, so a lot of enemy mechs end up blending into the terrain at longer distances.

#20 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

Normal vision a.k.a. Eyeballs MK-I all the way. There is no "When Normal Vision won't do, I usually rely on" for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users