BattleMech 9: Raven

714 replies to this topic

#461 Harlequin4457

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationScotland, U.K.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

View PostDihm, on 26 April 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

Can you torch/hammer ablative armor? I have no clue.

It's "Sci-Fi", so I suppose we can justify almost anything! :D

Edited by Harlequin4457, 26 April 2012 - 09:56 AM.

#462 Ahma

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 50 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

WHEN CAN WE PLAY!!! =)

#463 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

View PostDihm, on 26 April 2012 - 09:04 AM, said:

That curved armor would also be a NIGHTMARE for Logistics/Supply in the field. How the heck are you going to replace that armor quickly and easily? You need it to be specially molded, and you have to carry around spares specifically tailored to a SINGLE mech.

This will always be the case, but the more common you can get (big slabs instead of curved surfaces), the easier, and cheaper, life will be.

True but luckily it is science fiction and this would not be an issue (a space wizard did it!).

I do really like FDs more realistic utilitarian slant on the BT universe in general but if we never did anything solely because it would be cool to do it the world would be a much greyer place and we would not have BT. It would be a good design for a new mech but it is not the iconic Raven.

#464 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

View PostZakatak, on 25 April 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

Firegroup 1: White Flag
Firegroup 2: Give Up
:D
(is aware France a totally badarse and successful resistence movement during WWII)

I like the design, with one exception. It needs a beak, badly. That sharp beak is what gave Raven its character. Now it looks like an angry whippet.

Posted Image

DO NOT **** WITH THE ANGRY WHIPPET.

He will jack you up!!!!!

Posted Image

View PostDihm, on 26 April 2012 - 09:04 AM, said:

That curved armor would also be a NIGHTMARE for Logistics/Supply in the field. How the heck are you going to replace that armor quickly and easily? You need it to be specially molded, and you have to carry around spares specifically tailored to a SINGLE mech.

This will always be the case, but the more common you can get (big slabs instead of curved surfaces), the easier, and cheaper, life will be.

Not to mention, it fits aesthetically with every other 'mech in the game that way...

#465 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:45 AM

I will remind you of the "real is better!" when the Mad Cat gets a redesign. Cockpit in the back, mech composed of only boxes, Rocket launchers need to be placed on the sides so you can get the ammon in and then the lasers. Oh, and legs from the Kodiak are needed because it must be very weighty, a lot more than the one stated in lore,... :D

#466 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

Works for me, I'm not a rabid cat-fancier anyway.

#467 billyzero

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

I like it.

#468 Ramien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • LocationToledo

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

If we can survive the Catapult getting less rounded, I think we can survive the same for the Mad Cat.

#469 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

Was never a fan of the raven myself but I think the model is great. The nose is a huge improvement over the traditional look. I like how it's still sleek and agile looking without the front looking like a huge birds beak on twig legs (traditional battletech raven)

#470 Cochise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 642 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

Let the NARCs FLY!

#471 Arnie1808

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 546 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

I like the 'Mech but not the art that doesn't look right at all :D

This to me is what a raven should look like (a bird!)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Can the person who created the mechs (all of them) please look at this site for inspiration -
http://www.sarna.net...ory:BattleMechs

and not this one -

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/srw/srw.htm :blink: :ph34r: :ph34r:

#472 Chico

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

Oh yea! For someone like me, that is going to pilot nothing but lights, knowing this will be one of my options just made my day!!

#473 Commraid

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

The nose looks too sharp more like a fox or another small mammal not the raven we all know.

#474 Solis Obscuri

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

View PostDihm, on 26 April 2012 - 10:51 AM, said:

Works for me, I'm not a rabid cat-fancier anyway.

I can't imagine why - they're so cute and playful!

Posted Image

#475 Kiyoshi Amaya

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 366 posts
  • LocationWaiting for PVE Co-op

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

View PostArnie1808, on 26 April 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

I like the 'Mech but not the art that doesn't look right at all :ph34r:

This to me is what a raven should look like (a bird!)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Can the person who created the mechs (all of them) please look at this site for inspiration -
http://www.sarna.net...ory:BattleMechs

Sorry, but those look like concords retirement plan! Really, to me, they look like someone took the front end of concord and stuck legs and weapons on it. :blink:

Don't worry too much about the redesigns, because after a decade, we get to play a new Mechwarrior game. :D

#476 LegoMasterBuilder

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of whatever 'Mech I have.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

I'm waiting for the Hellspawn to come out...

...but until then...

...THIS IS THE ULTIMATE 'MECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#477 Solis Obscuri

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

The TRO artwork is really inconsistent, at best. Most of the 3025/2039 stuff looks like it was designed and built by sophomore packaging science students interning at the box factory, using surplus boxes (the only exceptions being the Unseen, largely designed by Studio Nue). The 3050 stuff looks much sleeker, more solid, and feature more rounded curves emulating automotive design of the era, except the Clan 'mechs, which are angular as a contrast, but still have cleaner lines and more geometric shapes than the old 3025 stuff. Meanwhile, half the 3025 designs have 3050 upgrades, but apparently still look the same...

Then as you get up into the 3060s era stuff, you have Reseen designs for the Unseen (which some people like and other loathe) which apply to the 3060s refits, at least, and a whole weird second generation of Clan 'mechs, many of which are such blobby bags of guns that they couldn't reasonably walk without tripping over at least one of their Heavy Snub-nosed Medium Variable-pulse Rotary PPCs... :blink:

I like that things are at least following a fairly consistent approach in this game, and everything seems to follow similar lines of construction. As such, my only nitpicks thus far have been a few matters of scale regarding the proportions of a few of the 'mechs, but those have been fairly minor.

#478 Kiyoshi Amaya

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 366 posts
  • LocationWaiting for PVE Co-op

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 26 April 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

I like that things are at least following a fairly consistent approach in this game, and everything seems to follow similar lines of construction. As such, my only nitpicks thus far have been a few matters of scale regarding the proportions of a few of the 'mechs, but those have been fairly minor.

I like the consistency too. To be honest, the only two I'm not keen on are the Jenner and the Dragon. It's just the basic design of the mech I don't really like even though I do think the redesign is an improvement. The Raven redesign, on the other hand, is really nice but I can't stand the old designs. They just look wrong.

#479 KageRyuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

Probably should have a Liao emblem on the side seeing as Davion already has it's tag on a number of mechs already, but none the less an impressive redesign. Though a frontal pic would be much desired as it looks way too thin.

#480 Hannibal Chow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 143 posts
  • LocationGibson FWL

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

I've been waiting 10 years for this, and it seems it was worth the wait !! :blink: :P :D

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users